Author Topic: Deimos and Phobos Spacecraft  (Read 84388 times)

Offline jgoldader

• Liked: 322
  • Likes Given: 171
Re: Deimos and Phobos Spacecraft
« Reply #100 on: 12/28/2015 08:24 pm »
Is there a good thread around here that's something like, "How inexpensive can an interplanetary mission be?"  It's an interesting topic, but deserves its own thread.
Recovering astronomer

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7823
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #101 on: 03/12/2016 12:47 am »
Somewhere around here is a slide showing the options for NASA's Mars 2022 orbiter mission. Anybody know where that thread/slide is? I cannot find it.

Offline vjkane

• Liked: 617
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #102 on: 03/12/2016 02:04 am »
Somewhere around here is a slide showing the options for NASA's Mars 2022 orbiter mission. Anybody know where that thread/slide is? I cannot find it.
Check out:

http://mepag.jpl.nasa.gov/reports/NEX-SAG_draft_v29_FINAL.pdf

http://mepag.jpl.nasa.gov/meetings.cfm?expand=m31

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #103 on: 03/12/2016 03:25 am »
Is there a good thread around here that's something like, "How inexpensive can an interplanetary mission be?"  It's an interesting topic, but deserves its own thread.
Mars Polar Lander and Mars Climate Orbiter were both relatively inexpensive.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Sam Ho

• Liked: 580
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #104 on: 03/16/2016 11:06 pm »
Check out:

Specifically, Phobos and Deimos are recommended as targets of opportunity.  Using SEP means that a Mars-focused spacecraft would spend a fair bit of time spiraling in and could make some flybys during that time.
Finding 14: The use of SEP and the payload capabilities needed to address the reconnaissance, resource, and science objectives at Mars allow high-value science observations of Phobos and Deimos necessary to plan future missions to these moons.

Offline redliox

• Illinois USA
  • Liked: 683
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #105 on: 03/17/2016 06:04 pm »
Check out:

I did, and I seriously hope it happens.  It would be the closest thing, outside of the Phobos encounters by MGS and Mars Express, to a dedicated spacecraft.  The next orbiter looks like it would be studying the moons visually, thermally (including infrared), and even with radar - all of which would vastly improve our understandings of the curious little moons.
"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow."
-Tigatron

Offline redliox

• Illinois USA
« Reply #106 on: 05/28/2016 07:22 pm »
There was some recent talk of Phobos in the human spaceflight threads, which in turn lead to mentions of a JAXA mission being considered.  I believe this was the mission in question: http://www.elsi.jp/ja/research/docs/Introduction-PDSR-IntlRv-151102.pdf

Given JAXA has some success with asteroids, not to mention I'm sure they'd wish to make up for the loss of their ill-fated Nozomi, this sounds like a great mission for them.
-Tigatron

Offline vjkane

« Reply #107 on: 05/28/2016 08:17 pm »
There was some recent talk of Phobos in the human spaceflight threads, which in turn lead to mentions of a JAXA mission being considered.  I believe this was the mission in question: http://www.elsi.jp/ja/research/docs/Introduction-PDSR-IntlRv-151102.pdf
This appears to be an approved mission (it can be hard to tell for many space agencies).  NASA has issued an AO for an instrument for this mission.  (AO may be preliminary; I can't remember).

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #108 on: 05/28/2016 08:18 pm »

Well, you could look at the Indian Mars spacecraft for a start...

Offline redliox

• Illinois USA
« Reply #109 on: 05/28/2016 09:57 pm »
This appears to be an approved mission (it can be hard to tell for many space agencies).  NASA has issued an AO for an instrument for this mission.  (AO may be preliminary; I can't remember).

That is reassuring to hear, especially after how all 3 proposals in the Discovery selections lost.
-Tigatron

Offline vjkane

« Reply #110 on: 05/28/2016 10:11 pm »
That is reassuring to hear, especially after how all 3 proposals in the Discovery selections lost.
The MERLIN Phobos lander almost made the finalist list -- it was judged to be fully qualified (not the term NASA uses) for selection.  Unfortunately, there were seven in this category, and NASA's managers felt they could only manage five finalists.  The other non-selected qualified proposal was the MANTIS asteroid survey.

Offline redliox

• Illinois USA
« Reply #111 on: 06/01/2016 09:07 am »
Regarding the Martian moons and their role in the future, this conference in July may be wise to follow:
http://phobos-deimos.arc.nasa.gov/
-Tigatron

Offline redliox

• Illinois USA
« Reply #112 on: 07/10/2016 05:36 am »
Agenda for the Conference on the Exploration of Phobos and Deimos:
Conference on the Exploration of Phobos and Deimos

It looks like the first day will be focusing on the moons' formation along with the Japanese and Russian/ESA missions.  I would love to hear a progress report on both; I wonder how certain the latter is given the uncertainty of the 2nd half of the ExoMars project.

Just over a week away now!  :)
-Tigatron

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #113 on: 07/10/2016 09:08 am »

It looks like the first day will be focusing on the moons' formation along with the Japanese and Russian/ESA missions.  I would love to hear a progress report on both; I wonder how certain the latter is given the uncertainty of the 2nd half of the ExoMars project.

And the Japanese haven't exactly covered themselves in glory with their recent science missions.

Offline Alpha_Centauri

• England
  • Liked: 336
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #114 on: 07/10/2016 09:30 am »

Last I heard was that ESA managers will now not put forward the ESA/Roscosmos Phobos sample return mission to ministers in December as planned, which means a decision will be delayed until at least the 2019 CoM.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #115 on: 07/10/2016 01:49 pm »

Last I heard was that ESA managers will now not put forward the ESA/Roscosmos Phobos sample return mission to ministers in December as planned, which means a decision will be delayed until at least the 2019 CoM.

So leaving just JAXA then?

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #116 on: 07/10/2016 03:37 pm »
Exomars is delayed two year, and the UK might leave the EU. Probably better to leave it for when things are settled down and the budget actually available. Specially if they happen to have an actual rover on Mars.

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #117 on: 07/10/2016 10:10 pm »
... and the UK might leave the EU.

ESA is not an EU organisation. Although the UK will be leaving the EU, there's no suggestion of it leaving ESA.

Offline redliox

• Illinois USA
« Reply #118 on: 07/15/2016 05:49 pm »
I'll be at the conference on Monday.

That's grand to hear.  :)

Aside from the previously stated JAXA and ESA/Russia missions, I'm further curious about the NeMO orbiter since that allegedly would flyby the Martian moons en route to low orbit; at this point I'm guessing that will be the most to expect from an American contribution until an actual human expedition, which seems to still be pegged to happen in early missions.
-Tigatron

Offline Alpha_Centauri

• England
  • Liked: 336
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #119 on: 07/15/2016 07:17 pm »
Thinking aloud. There were reportedly discussions on there being an ESA sample capture and preparation module being attached to the 2022 Orbiter as an element in the MSR programme. Additionally ESA could later provide the Earth return vehicle. I also notice the lack of a discussion of the crucial piece of the programme that would likely come from NASA, the Mars Ascent Vehicle.

Would it be feasible to use the MSR infrastructure on a Phobos sample return "dry run"? Instead of the current mission plans a slightly simpler Phobos probe could eject the sample into the path of the 2022 orbiter instead of having to do the Earth return leg as well.  By sharing infrastructure might we get both quicker and cheaper?
« Last Edit: 07/15/2016 07:19 pm by Alpha_Centauri »

Tags: Deimos Phobos Mars 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography