Author Topic: 'The Expanse' on SyFy - First trailer for new space opera show  (Read 36830 times)

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 2708
  • Likes Given: 655
Oh yeah, and if you found that scene a little too gruesome to watch... you aint seen nothin' yet.
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? The slowest possible.

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 513
  • Likes Given: 136
Yeah, those two clips pretty much cover the bits that "sold" this one to me. Damn, they are actually doing the book, not some lame-ass adaptation of it... Sure, the effects do not quite match movies with budgets twenty times bigger, but on a TV budget they are doing impressive things and in my books the intent counts a lot, even if the final effect isn't always 100% perfect (because you cannot spend days filming 30 seconds of FX scene on a TV series...).

I hope they can keep the quality up.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 1510
The VFX supervisor for 'The Expanse' posted a sizing chart for some of the ships of the show:

Offline Jarnis

Ep 5 was bit slower (guess the blew a lot of the FX budget on Ep 4) but still going strong and still following the first book very closely. Definitely worth watching and now on my very very short "must see immediately" list :)

Offline GalacticIntruder

• PPPPPPP
  • Huntsville, AL
  • Liked: 169
  • Likes Given: 53
I don't expect too many Space Battles, given the budget. Not too sure about the Ship to Ship Space Battles with kinetic weapons and missiles.

I liked Garvey taking a rail gun slug to the head, but without knowing too much about the relative velocities of the ship and slug and armor capability, I didn't find it too realistic. A little too neat and convenient.  I would expect spalling and shrapnel to shred the cabin, even if the slug punches through several layers of the ship.

I have yet to see Mars, just the Mars "Navy", with its Earth hating, rebellious Martians. I love the politics, and factions. Probably the most realistic and plausible future I have seen. So far there is no star of the show, and no one to root for except Miller.
« Last Edit: 01/07/2016 08:10 PM by GalacticIntruder »
Watch out for those pesky corners, they have teeth.

Offline Jarnis

I don't expect too many Space Battles, given the budget. Not too sure about the Ship to Ship Space Battles with kinetic weapons and missiles.

I liked Garvey taking a rail gun slug to the head, but without knowing too much about the relative velocities of the ship and slug and armor capability, I didn't find it too realistic. A little too neat and convenient.  I would expect spalling and shrapnel to shred the cabin, even if the slug punches through several layers of the ship.

I have yet to see Mars, just the Mars "Navy", with its Earth hating, rebellious Martians. I love the politics, and factions. Probably the most realistic and plausible future I have seen. So far there is no star of the show, and no one to root for except Miller.

Even in the book that was pretty much "by design".

Eventually the Rocinante bunch, especially Holden, will become a bigger "star" to root for, but the first book is very much an "universe-building story" where the main "star" is pretty much the solar system and all the factions and the political situation, with the characters often being just pawns, getting thrown here and there.

And there will be further space-action to come, tho I guess the "acquiring" of Taichi/Rocinante and the battle before that (Ep 4) are the main "pew pew" bits that I can recall in the first book.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 697
  • Likes Given: 1414
Finally watched the first episode and, wow, I am hooked. 

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 10
I started reading the first book, and it all went pretty well until I got to the bit about Ceres. Which the books says is 250km in diameter and has been spun up to provide 0.3g for its six million inhabitants... even if it's not a typo and the excess mass has been stripped off, it's still badly threatening to my suspension of disbelief.

I thought it was just a massive habitation wheel built into Ceres that was rotating, and not the entire Ceres (how would they stop it from falling apart??), but my memory may be faulty.

I thought that at first, but I re-read bits of it, thinking "that can't be right." But that's exactly what is written. And yes, it would utterly disintegrate - the rotational energy is a couple of orders of magnitude above the binding energy.

I'm enjoying the characters and the plot but mistakes like that make it quite painful. I don't think the TV series will address any of these.

That must be a mistake.  They have giant ships docking at what appears to be the equater of Ceres and there doesn't appear to be any sign of exterior rotation.  (No correction for spin, objects off the surface showing no sign of spin motion, shadows staying steady, etc).

Maybe hollowed out and built a spin-structure inside, but doesn't appear to be spinning very quickly from exernal views.
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 70

I fell asleep during it. Did anything actually happen later on? It was all talk, talk, talk.

Offline Lars-J

• California

I fell asleep during it. Did anything actually happen later on? It was all talk, talk, talk.

Yes, things happened ;) Maybe you should try again when you are more awake. Or perhaps it isn't for you.
« Last Edit: 01/11/2016 10:22 PM by Lars-J »

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 2708
  • Likes Given: 655
Or read the books.
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? The slowest possible.

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 2315
Or read the books.

Usually there is cause for disappointment when you compare books with their TV/movies adaptations.

I haven't read the source books for The Expanse, but I have been enjoying the TV show.  After the show has ended that may inspire me to dig deeper into the source books though.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Lars-J

• California
'The Expanse' on SyFy - First trailer for new space opera show
« Reply #52 on: 01/12/2016 12:21 AM »
Or read the books.

Usually there is cause for disappointment when you compare books with their TV/movies adaptations.

I haven't read the source books for The Expanse, but I have been enjoying the TV show.  After the show has ended that may inspire me to dig deeper into the source books though.

This adaption is a little unusual in that both authors of the book series (they co-write under one pseudonym) are very involved with the show, as producers and part of the writing staff. So far it is very faithful to the books.

If you enjoy the show, I would not call the reading the books essential in any way. They are not high literature, but a very enjoyable space opera series (rare these days) in a fairly realistic SF environment.
« Last Edit: 01/12/2016 12:27 AM by Lars-J »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 697
  • Likes Given: 1414
I can't believe Shohreh Aghdashloo  is in this.  She is one of my favorite actresses, ever since her "day" on "24".

Offline Endeavour_01

• Physics Professor in SC, USA
  • Liked: 381
  • Likes Given: 400
I can't believe Shohreh Aghdashloo  is in this.  She is one of my favorite actresses, ever since her "day" on "24".

She was great on 24 and I really like her acting and her character in this show.
I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Offline Lars-J

• California
Episode 8 was great. My favorite so far. And finally some story lines are intersecting.

Here are two clips from the episode.
1. The crew exploring an small asteroid

2. The crew getting into a great shootout on Eros (some spoilers)

Offline SwissCheese

• Liked: 249
  • Likes Given: 67
Episode 8 was great. My favorite so far. And finally some story lines are intersecting.

I agree :)

I love the books, always jump on them as soon as they get published, and I also really like the show.

Offline gosnold

• Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 735
The last two episodes of season 1 have aired, and they were as tense as episode 8.
Their only problem was that because of them I have bought the books because I could not wait for season 2.

Offline Port

• Germany
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 8
i think the series delivered very well, can't wait for s2 :)

Offline Lars-J

• California
The last two episodes of season 1 have aired, and they were as tense as episode 8.
Their only problem was that because of them I have bought the books because I could not wait for season 2.

Just an FYI - in case you don't want to read ahead of the TV show... Season 1 only covers about 70-75% of the first book. Fortunately season 2 is 13 episode (instead of 10), so they might still be able to cover most or all of book 2 in season 2. But the show runners have warned that they aren't going to be held hostage to a "1 book = 1 season" format.

But they are good reads, IMO, you can't go wrong with them. My biggest complaint with them is that book 5 felt like half a book (no real ending) - but I don't want to discuss that too much here.
« Last Edit: 02/03/2016 10:44 PM by Lars-J »

Tags: