Author Topic: 'The Expanse' on SyFy - First trailer for new space opera show  (Read 41203 times)

Offline IRobot

• Portugal & Germany
  • Liked: 207
  • Likes Given: 196
All the characters are very interesting - Holden in particular seems very "Keanu" ;)
That's not really a compliment...

To me Holden is a miscast. The character is a strong leader, but my gut feeling tells me that in real life he is not, so it is painful to watch him playing a forced role. He also seems a notch down compared with other actors in the show.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 548
  • Likes Given: 621
To me, Holden is a man playing a role anyway. His family told him that he had this responsibility to protect and perpetuate and he's trying to live up to this. However, in many ways, he's painfully naive and is making it up as he goes along based on a completely wrong-headedly optimistic view of humanity and human society.

Jim Holden is a man doing his best despite being utterly out of his moral depth. In that, he is engagingly real. Paladins don't really happen and there is something engaging about seeing a man struggle to be one in a universe that is utterly inimical to one.

I think that they gave us a huge clue to the real Holden in season 1 when his mother told Avarasala that his favourite book was Don Quixote.
« Last Edit: 02/24/2017 02:25 PM by Ben the Space Brit »
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2422
  • Likes Given: 1
This has spoilers for the last episode.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-expanses-executive-producer-tells-us-everything-tha-1792685368

[My rule of thumb here is that I try not to spoil anything for a week after the air date. If you have not watched it after a week, then you should not have any expectation for not encountering spoilers.]

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 2690
  • Likes Given: 1700
For those that are curious about the books, book 1 ended where the last episode ended. Next episode we are entering book 2 territory.

Online sanman

• Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 7
Saw the latest episode of The Expanse, and once again it was pretty gripping. Heh, I love Amos - he's part puppydog and part junkyard dog.  ;)

[spoiler]
That thing standing over Gunney at the end was pretty surprising and spooky.
Whatever it was looked like some kind of alien, or at least someone who'd been converted by the Protomolecule.

The ship attacking the colony infrastructure above looked like it was advanced human tech, though - but different from previous stealth ships we've seen. Yeah, I always thought those faceplates are quite the glaring vulnerability on the power armor.

[/spoiler]

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 339
  • Likes Given: 191
When will the series continue?

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 548
  • Likes Given: 621
Season 2 will be 26 episodes, IIRC. The next episode is scheduled for next Wednesday.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 995
  • Likes Given: 775
Season 2 will be 26 episodes, IIRC. The next episode is scheduled for next Wednesday.

Season 2 will be 13 episodes.

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 995
  • Likes Given: 775
The Expanse has been renewed for a third season. That's 13 more episodes.

http://www.blastr.com/2017-3-16/expanse-renewed-13-episode-third-season-syfy

Offline GWH

Season 2 will be 13 episodes.

Oh yes! I had assumed it would only be 10 and feeling a little preemptive withdrawal after episode 8 being so good.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
I have found this season to be outstanding. The first handful of episodes kept me wanting more, mainly because of cliffhanger endings. But the most recent episodes really went deep in different directions. Last week it was heavy on the politics and psychology. This week it went dark. You got to see just how callous humans could be--not ruthless, just indifferent. I found the most recent episode disturbing.

An impressive show.

Online sanman

• Liked: 481
  • Likes Given: 7
The scene where they
[spoiler]
ejected the Earth/Mars contingent of the Ganymede refugees into space was pretty chilling - I didn't see that one coming. They sort of reminded me of dying fish as they gave their last gasps in the vacuum. I didn't understand why Holden was being so harsh while interrogating the botanist guy - he looked pretty harmless. Also, Amos seems to be increasingly losing it - I wonder why.

[spoiler]

One thing I like about the show in general are these very imaginative ethnic accents. Alex as an Asian Indian with a Texas drawl from Mars' Marineris Valley just tickles me. And the Patua/Creole of most Belters is also very interesting and original. The latest distinct accent I got came from that Belter politician Dawes as some sort of Singaporean accent. Can anyone else make out any other unconventional accents? After seeing so many sci-fi space shows where the most creative stylistic content was putting apostrophes in the alien names, this playing around with accents feels very innovative and refreshing.

Offline TripD

• E. Clampus Launchus
  • Liked: 397
  • Likes Given: 263
Potential spoilage:

I thought Amos's questions about a certain medical procedure were insightful.  They may well play into what seems to be happening to him in these last episodes.

I haven't read the books but since they are already written and are canon to the tv show I am a bit disappointed with one plot point.  The 'world' these characters all live in offers plenty to write about.  There is no reason to throw in aliens.

Spoilage over

Offline Pipcard

• Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 92
I really need to see this show, but I have one question - if this is supposed to be (mostly) hard science fiction, why are the ships so boxy? Pressure vessels shouldn't have corners.
« Last Edit: 04/06/2017 07:41 PM by Pipcard »

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 339
  • Likes Given: 191
I really need to see this show, but I have one question - if this is supposed to be (mostly) hard science fiction, why are the ships so boxy? Pressure vessels shouldn't have corners.

Have a look at the hitherto only true spaceship made by Humanity: the Apollo Lunar module. Lots of "boxy stuff" attached on the outside of the pressure vessel.

The vessels in the Expanse are also boxy because they don't need to be streamlined.

Offline Pipcard

• Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 92

Have a look at the hitherto only true spaceship made by Humanity: the Apollo Lunar module. Lots of "boxy stuff" attached on the outside of the pressure vessel.

The vessels in the Expanse are also boxy because they don't need to be streamlined.
The boxy stuff attached to the Apollo lander's cylindrical pressure vessel housed tanks for propellant, gaseous oxygen, helium, etc. But in this image, for example, an airlock seems to be integrated directly into a blocky structure, implying that the pressure vessel itself is blocky.
« Last Edit: 04/06/2017 08:48 PM by Pipcard »

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
I thought Amos's questions about a certain medical procedure were insightful.  They may well play into what seems to be happening to him in these last episodes.

I don't think there was any "may" about it--we've seen enough to know that Amos was psychologically damaged as a child (he has pretty much said that). The result is that he doesn't feel empathy. The scientist had his brain deliberately altered so that he does not feel empathy. I think that Amos was asking about that because he is still somewhat disturbed, and perhaps he was hoping that there was a medical procedure that could remove any of his residual empathy or emotions.

The interesting corollary to this is how Holden is now using that aspect of Amos' personality. He knows that if he tells Amos to beat somebody up, or even to kill him, that Amos will do that without remorse. And the other fascinating aspect is how Naomi fits into that. Naomi has served as Amos' conscience, but Holden is not trying to be his conscience, he's using Holden.

Lots of great character aspects in this series in addition to the overarching story.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
I watched last night's episode on a big screen TV. The scenes around Jupiter were great. Lots of color and detail. Definitely worth watching it on a high resolution big screen.

Online gosnold

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 866
I watched last night's episode on a big screen TV. The scenes around Jupiter were great. Lots of color and detail. Definitely worth watching it on a high resolution big screen.

Definitely. And if you played a bit of KSP, you'll watch those scenes with an ear-to-ear grin.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
Definitely. And if you played a bit of KSP, you'll watch those scenes with an ear-to-ear grin.

I thought it all happened a bit too fast.

But in previous episodes they managed to establish some of the basic rules about how these drives work: light up the drive and you can be easily detected, leave it off and you probably will not be seen unless somebody knows exactly where to look. There have now been a couple of cases where we've seen how that is used tactically.

Tags: