Author Topic: SpaceX Eastern Range Landing Facilities  (Read 127640 times)

Offline MarekCyzio

Re: SpaceX Eastern Range Landing Facilities
« Reply #420 on: 02/28/2017 02:39 PM »

I do not believe there is any "Concrete" poured at all. The landing area and outer ring are crushed recycled concrete aka AgSlag . Ground AgSlag is dumped,spread ,packed, vibrated, Watered and Rolled. The inner pad area that looks like brushed concrete pavement is just the AgSlag that has been scarified (ground flat and smooth) and re-watered. Much like grooming of snow done on ski slopes. This is much easier to repair and maintain between landings as all you need to do is grind the area flat and add a little more agSlag water and Roll/smooth. Forms it's own caliche...like desert pavement The outer Ring is just left un-groomed.   and no Gravel...Gravel + M1-D Rocket engine = 360 degree shotgun blast of rocks

I've been to LZ-1 and I can assure you center circle is poured concrete. Moreover it has dilatation gaps sealed with some kind of elastomer.

Offline rpapo

• Cybernetic Mole
  • Michigan, USA
  • Liked: 390
  • Likes Given: 324
« Reply #421 on: 02/28/2017 04:16 PM »
I've been to LZ-1 and I can assure you center circle is poured concrete. Moreover it has dilatation gaps sealed with some kind of elastomer.
Note from the picture above that we are not the only people who have debated or been confused by the "Landing Complex" / "Landing Zone" naming debate.  Notice the label on the surveyor's benchmark: LC-1.  Dated 2015, so things changed afterward, probably to avoid confusion with "Launch Complex".
An Apollo fanboy . . . fifty years ago.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 3492
  • Likes Given: 732
« Reply #422 on: 02/28/2017 05:52 PM »
Note from the picture above that we are not the only people who have debated or been confused by the "Landing Complex" / "Landing Zone" naming debate.  Notice the label on the surveyor's benchmark: LC-1.  Dated 2015, so things changed afterward, probably to avoid confusion with "Launch Complex".

Clearly the surveyor is not on this forum!
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Tags: