Author Topic: Dream Chaser lines up network of public airport landing options  (Read 8816 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2014/11/dream-chaser-network-public-airport-landing-options/

Really enjoyed writing that one up as it allowed me to venture back into the Shuttle era.

Yes, Dream Chaser's future is very uncertain now, but this was absolutely worth covering.

For the presentation and resources associated with this announcement, click here:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=29416.msg1284064#msg1284064
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Mark Max Q

• Going Supersonic
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
Great article. Really enjoyed that. Also highlights the versatility of Dream Chaser's return points.

Offline Launch Fan

• Veteran
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 44
Great read! And I love how Shuttle is the Aunt! :)

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1801
  • Likes Given: 1296
Great article. Really enjoyed that. Also highlights the versatility of Dream Chaser's return points.
Versatility is achieved by closing down all the local airspace at the possible landing sites. Could cause cascading chaos with the airlines depending on the landing time.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
That was a fun read Chris! :) If only... Hope springs eternal I guess...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
Versatility is achieved by closing down all the local airspace at the possible landing sites. Could cause cascading chaos with the airlines depending on the landing time.
That's just a list of the potential abort sites, not a list of the intended abort sites. They could get by with a fraction of those, and just stick to government airfields to avoid interruption to commercial airports.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1801
  • Likes Given: 1296
That's just a list of the potential abort sites, not a list of the intended abort sites. They could get by with a fraction of those, and just stick to government airfields to avoid interruption to commercial airports.
Hmm, where in my post did I say anything about airports or airfields? You will probably have to clear all the air traffic along the reentry path of a non-schedule Dreamchaser landing.

Disruption to air traffic will depend on where and when the landing occurs.

You really can not have an un-powered reentry glider mixing with any air traffic.

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
Hmm, where in my post did I say anything about airports or airfields? You will probably have to clear all the air traffic along the reentry path of a non-schedule Dreamchaser landing.

You really can not have an un-powered reentry glider mixing with any air traffic.
Sorry, I misunderstood you when you used the plural "landing sites."

Obviously, but this is true of airspace in general. Whether it's a lifting body, capsule, rocket stage, falling satellite, etc. Air Traffic Control will do their best to keep two airborne objects from occupying the same airspace at the same time.
« Last Edit: 11/10/2014 08:48 pm by rayleighscatter »

Offline RanulfC

• Heus tu Omnis! Vigilate Hoc!
  • Liked: 900
  • Likes Given: 32

Sorry, I misunderstood you when you used the plural "landing sites."

Obviously, but this is true of airspace in general. Whether it's a lifting body, capsule, rocket stage, falling satellite, etc. Air Traffic Control will do their best to keep two airborne objects from occupying the same airspace at the same time.

But that's "normally" done by having the non-powered vehicle flying into some sort of controlled air-space. Which "normally" isn't a "public" airport :)

While having the DC or DC-Junior landing at Wendover, Utah is one thing having it land at JFK is quite another :)

Randy
From The Amazing Catstronaut on the Black Arrow LV:
British physics, old chap. It's undignified to belch flames and effluvia all over the pad, what. A true gentlemen's orbital conveyance lifts itself into the air unostentatiously, with the minimum of spectacle and a modicum of grace. Not like our American cousins' launch vehicles, eh?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography