Author Topic: SpaceX Vandenberg Updates and Discussion  (Read 325800 times)

Offline Jdeshetler

• Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 3673
  • Likes Given: 3551
Re: SpaceX Vandenberg Updates and Discussion
« Reply #40 on: 10/26/2014 03:02 am »
Is that a new Payload Processing Hanger in the rear of HIF at Helodriver's lower photo?

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #41 on: 10/26/2014 03:41 am »
Is that a new Payload Processing Hanger in the rear of HIF at Helodriver's lower photo?

Yes, but it isn't "new". I believe Helodriver posted this image about a year ago, when it was under construction:

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #42 on: 11/05/2014 06:43 pm »
Latest batch of images from the ongoing work at SLC-4.

The T/E has been moved from its outdoor parking position, moved to the pad and mated to the launch stand for the first time in over a year. The lower portion of the T/E has been painted where workers were welding plates last week.

SLC-4W demolition is nearing completion with only minor cleanup now ongoing. All major scrap steel is gone from the site, leaving a clear view of the flat areas that will become the landing pad. Landing pad specific construction is not yet evident.

Clear air and cooler temps afforded a blur free view of the launch stand hold downs and of the French flag that has replaced the California state flag that had been flying in front of the onsite buildings. The reason for the flag swap is unknown.

Industrial size chilling units have been delivered to the site but not installed.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #43 on: 11/05/2014 06:47 pm »

Clear air and cooler temps afforded a blur free view of the launch stand hold downs and of the French flag that has replaced the California state flag that had been flying in front of the onsite buildings. The reason for the flag swap is unknown.

The French are providing Jason-3, the next launch

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #44 on: 11/05/2014 06:50 pm »
Still quite a lot of vertical hazards at the landing site.  I'd expect to see those light towers come down.

I wonder if there are matching chiller units sitting at LC-40 or LC-39A at the Cape?

Offline Helodriver

« Reply #45 on: 11/05/2014 10:08 pm »
It seems likely to me the chillers are for air conditioning of the payload inside the fairing. I'm not certain what was used on the CASSIOPE mission last year.

Offline Helodriver

« Reply #46 on: 11/26/2014 12:30 am »
Activity at Vandenberg's SLC-4 continues with most of the focus being on the TE this week.  The TE is attached to the launch mount in full horizontal position while the upper part of the structure is painted. Good stable air led to blur free views of the launch mount and some of the TE hardware from different angles than available previously.

Removal of the last of the SLC-4W demolished structure is complete. Landing pad construction seems to be imminent, with some plowing and soil work having been completed.

Preliminary excavation and soil work is taking place near the RP-1 tanks, possibly for the construction of foundations to host additional RP-1 tankage as was recently completed for LOX storage to support the Heavy variant.

Offline HIP2BSQRE

• Regular
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #47 on: 11/26/2014 12:49 am »
How long do you think it will take to the site ready for another launch? Landing pad for what?  The first launch of the heavy is scheduled for Florida, when do you think the pad will be ready to launch the heavy?

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #48 on: 11/26/2014 01:04 am »
How long do you think it will take to the site ready for another launch? Landing pad for what? The first launch of the heavy is scheduled for Florida, when do you think the pad will be ready to launch the heavy?

Landing F9 stages and FH boosters.
DM

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8739
« Reply #49 on: 11/26/2014 03:39 am »
Helodriver, thanks once again for these pics of the activity at Vandenberg.  Just out of curiosity, how far away from the pad are you when you take these?  Also, is that a main rail line running by there and if so, do they stop trains during launch periods?
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline Helodriver

« Reply #50 on: 11/26/2014 03:45 am »
That is the main north south coastal Union Pacific train line that runs through the base property. Riding the Amtrak trains that share these tracks is one of the best tours of Vandenberg's launch facilities you can get. within 20 minutes the active launchpads SLC-8, SLC-6, SLC-4, SLC-3E and SLC-2W come into view. Train traffic is stopped during launch windows as the 30th Space Wing has direct contacts with track operator U.P.'s control center.

Most of my imagery is taken from 100 yards to 1/2 mile away depending on the angle I'm trying to get.

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #51 on: 11/26/2014 04:05 am »
Wonderful pictures as always, Helodriver! :)

(Although you could probably scale down some of those most extreme digital zooms, since they are scaled up quite a bit - I'm surprised your camera scales up instead of storing a crop. What camera do you use?)

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #52 on: 11/26/2014 04:34 am »

(Although you could probably scale down some of those most extreme digital zooms, since they are scaled up quite a bit - I'm surprised your camera scales up instead of storing a crop. What camera do you use?)

I believe that's all analog noise you're seeing, Lars.  The air is shimmering.

Offline Helodriver

« Reply #53 on: 11/26/2014 04:34 am »
Sony HX-200V. My go to big zoom in a small package travel camera.  Love these.

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-hx200v-black/

Offline Helodriver

« Reply #54 on: 11/26/2014 04:37 am »

Almost all the blur seen in these images is heat shimmer. Its very apparent at higher zoom levels due to the distances being shot, especially on sunny days when the ground is heated and cool air is blowing onshore. I rarely use digital zoom.

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #55 on: 11/26/2014 04:58 am »

Almost all the blur seen in these images is heat shimmer. Its very apparent at higher zoom levels due to the distances being shot, especially on sunny days when the ground is heated and cool air is blowing onshore. I rarely use digital zoom.

Ok, my mistake then. I thought for sure that this was digital zoom after seeing it at 100%: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=35480.0;attach=622684;image

Looks like a neat camera. I'm more of a DLSR (w/ long zoom lens) guy, but that would be a lot heavier and might arise some suspicion. :D
« Last Edit: 11/26/2014 04:59 am by Lars-J »

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #56 on: 11/26/2014 07:22 am »
Can Falcon 9 share launch pad with Falcon Heavy?So only 1 launch pad or 2 same launch pads is/are needed at Boca Chica launch site.

They can share the same pad. The VAFB pad in the pictures above is wide enough to handle the three cores of a FH, even if all the hardware to support it is not yet installed. (see image below)

The KSC Pad 39A and Boca Chica will both have similar pad arrangement, capable of both F9 and FH. (The difference being that 39A will also have a crew access and vertical payload integration tower)
« Last Edit: 11/26/2014 07:23 am by Lars-J »

Offline nimbostratus

• Mainland, China
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #57 on: 11/26/2014 08:02 am »
The significance is that only 1 launch pad is needed at Boca Chica launch site.

While VAFB doesn't have many launches, the launch pads can also reduced to 1.
Wonders in the desert

Offline StuffOfInterest

• Just interested in space
  • McLean, Virginia, USA
  • Liked: 920
  • Likes Given: 231
« Reply #58 on: 11/26/2014 11:10 am »
Has anyone had a good look at the TE base to see if there are holes (plugged) for the Heavy side boosters or if that base is specific to only the F9?  I'm wondering if SpaceX might end up having two bases, one for heavy and one for standard, and then swap the TE mast between them.  Since the mast leans back anyway it has to be connected by just a few hinges so it shouldn't be too difficult to swap them around and this would make switching between vehicles easier than having to unbolt plugs and move the mounts around the base.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #59 on: 11/26/2014 12:54 pm »
Train traffic is stopped during launch windows as the 30th Space Wing has direct contacts with track operator U.P.'s control center.

The trains haven't stopped in the past.  The launches are held for train passage.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography