Author Topic: Crawler redo at 1/72  (Read 102080 times)

Offline RichO

• Olympia, washington USA
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 1
Crawler redo at 1/72
« on: 04/15/2014 08:39 pm »
HEY AGAIN ALL,

Welcome to my new thread. The Apollo Saturn V Crawler scratch build out of styrene at 1/72 scale.

If you guys have been following my Micro Artwork paper crawler build, This will be nothing new, accept that this build will be somewhat larger and built out of styrene. I plan on building this larger scale the same way that I built the paper kit, following the same instructions.

Background: I have been working on the paper kit for about, not quite a year. However the more I get to the end of the build the more troubles I have been having with the paper medium. I live in the Puget Soud area of the NW. Being new to card modeling I did not take steps to protect the kit from the etxream humidity and rain here. (We had 10 inches of rain in March alone, with 100% humidity... I'm a fish!!) The paper medium is warpping and delaminating!! So what I decided to do was to rework the build out of a more stable material. This means that I now am using the paper kit as a dress rehersal and transfering all the build experience to the styrene build.

I had a bit of a struggle at first thinking that I have spent all this time building this kit, I was just not happy with the way I have handled the build and the end results so far. So I thought, knowing myself, that I could not let things go on the way they were and be confident enough to show my build at model shows. And so, here I am, well into the redoux at 1/72.

So once again here we go!

OMG, I finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there's nothing right, and on the right side there's nothing left!

Offline RichO

Re: Crawler redo at 1/72
« Reply #1 on: 04/15/2014 08:45 pm »
This is the main frame componants. The floor and the top of the Chassis Body.
OMG, I finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there's nothing right, and on the right side there's nothing left!

Offline RichO

« Reply #2 on: 04/15/2014 08:46 pm »
The starting of the new build. Frame parts that need to be cut out.

Offline RichO

« Reply #3 on: 04/15/2014 08:50 pm »
The many frame supports to build the main Chassis. This is 0.5mm white styrene. I scaled up the paper weights to 1/72, and transfered all the different paper weights to the styrene.

Offline RichO

« Reply #4 on: 04/15/2014 08:51 pm »
A detail shot of one of the frames.

Offline RichO

« Reply #5 on: 04/15/2014 08:55 pm »
These next two photos are of the same piece showing a close up of how I rough cut the styrene. Then I go back and do the finishing of the parts. This includes filing and sanding untill I touch the black outlines of the print. Then all is cleaned and ready for install.

Offline RichO

« Reply #6 on: 04/15/2014 08:57 pm »
This is the floor of the Engineers Controll Room. This is the first piece that I cut for the rework. I used acrylic paint for the floor to match the color of the original kit.

Offline RichO

« Reply #7 on: 04/15/2014 08:59 pm »
These next three photos are the start of the construction. This photo is the first frame part installed and the first tie to hold things in place.

Offline RichO

« Reply #8 on: 04/15/2014 09:00 pm »
The center frame supports installed and tied.

Offline RichO

« Reply #9 on: 04/15/2014 09:03 pm »
All of the center frame supports. These are all tied and also include the arms of the Corner Structures.

Offline RichO

« Reply #10 on: 04/15/2014 09:06 pm »
In this photo you can see the end caps of the frames installed. Now it's starting to look like the Crawler Chassis.

Offline RichO

« Reply #11 on: 04/15/2014 09:08 pm »
The next three shots are of the main Chassis from different angles.

Offline RichO

« Reply #12 on: 04/15/2014 09:09 pm »
Applying the styrene weld.

Offline RichO

« Reply #13 on: 04/15/2014 09:13 pm »
Three different views of the main Chassis all welded together. this is about a months worth of work. The first three weeks just cutting out the parts to this point. The styrene is somewhat thicker than the card stock and a bunch harder to cut by hand, so things are going a little slower. Altho I do manage to work on this build almost every day.
« Last Edit: 04/15/2014 09:15 pm by RichO »

Offline RichO

« Reply #14 on: 04/15/2014 09:18 pm »
SO, a bunch of photos for now. I'll post again shortly after a few day of work, and then more often. I'm finding that the actual construction is going much faster than the first time around, because I sorta know how things fit this time.

Stayed Tuned, Thanks  RichO 114/499

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 783
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #15 on: 04/15/2014 09:22 pm »
Have you ever considered buying a laser cutter? I know half the "fun" of modelmaking is the satisfaction of a really straight cut line or smooth curve, but you'd save yourself so much time.

If you can't afford one yourself, there may be a makerspace/hackspace nearby with one you can use. I've used one myself and it's almost magical how simple they make the cutting of arbitrarily complex shapes.

Offline RichO

« Reply #16 on: 04/15/2014 10:45 pm »
CRISPY,
  Nice to read from you again, it's been a while. I'm retired and on a low income. This is what I do to keep myself intertained. Anything to do with modern technology is a bit to expensive for me. I can only spend as I go along. I have all the time I need to cut by hand, besides there is the "art" involved. Mybe later when I get real old I'll have to get pre cut parts.  Thanks

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #17 on: 04/15/2014 11:41 pm »
This is gonna be fun!!!

Offline shuttlemodeler

• AD ASTRA PER ASPERA
  • hamden CT
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #18 on: 04/16/2014 12:25 am »
that loks so cool.  its coming along great.  you did a lot in short amount of time.   want to build me one for my complex?

"It is enough if one tries everyday to comprehend a little of this mystery"
(A. Einstein)

Offline RichO

« Reply #19 on: 04/16/2014 12:46 pm »
  RON, You're right. This is going to much funner than the first build. I know where I made the mistakes before and where to slow way down and really take some time to rework this kit. It really deserves to be built as good as possible, and I feel much more confident about the outcome with this rebuild.

TOM, hand over the bucks and you got it!!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography