Author Topic: Crawler redo at 1/72  (Read 102079 times)

Offline RichO

• Olympia, washington USA
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Crawler redo at 1/72
« Reply #40 on: 04/26/2014 07:19 pm »

HI Manfred,

Yes the paper kit is sulking for now. I will need it again when I start the walkway chapter tho.
OMG, I finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there's nothing right, and on the right side there's nothing left!

Offline RichO

« Reply #41 on: 04/26/2014 07:24 pm »

HI ALL,

Just a couple of photos today. These photos are of a few days work. These days I was building the webbing supports for the "I" beams on the bottom of the Crawler. The "I" beams are more numerous than the box beams and do most of the support work on the bottom side.

Photo #1,  This is view down the bottom side from side # 1. Here all the webbing has been installed and test fitted.

Photo #2, In this view I have test fitted the bottom plate over the newly installed webbing for the "I" beams. All looks good, so now to the box beams.

I will now go around all the webs and make sure that all are secured and alligned and look good under the bottom plate. Thanks for watching.

OMG, I finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there's nothing right, and on the right side there's nothing left!

Offline shuttlemodeler

• AD ASTRA PER ASPERA
  • hamden CT
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #42 on: 04/26/2014 07:47 pm »
Rich:

It really is coming along great.  you are making me want one
"It is enough if one tries everyday to comprehend a little of this mystery"
(A. Einstein)

Offline RichO

« Reply #43 on: 04/28/2014 01:21 pm »
OK ALL,

Some more of the box beams.

All the webbing for the "I" beams have been installed, and now the "box" beams.

In photo #1, You can see the start of the box beam construction.

Photo #2, Here you can see that the box beams are the diagonal beams. The I beams run north and south, and the box beams diagonals. I will leave the box beams open for now, so I can use them for the electronics chapter.

Photo #3, In this shot you can see the bottom top plate, or cover plate. This is how the bottom side will look when it is all sealed up and finalized.
« Last Edit: 04/28/2014 01:22 pm by RichO »

Offline Davp99

• Fall River, MA
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 263
« Reply #44 on: 04/29/2014 04:36 pm »
Hi Rich,

been lurking and watching your Efforts...and I am Glad you got away from just Paper for this Model...I Think you are on the Right Track now <groan>  Dave
You Only Live Twice

Offline RichO

« Reply #45 on: 04/29/2014 10:51 pm »
DAVE,

This build feels so much better than the paper build did. The styrene feels much more permanant, it's not affected by the weather, and just feels stronger. I'm having a much better time with this build.

Offline RichO

« Reply #46 on: 04/29/2014 11:09 pm »
HEY ALL,

I have finished up installing the beam section of the build.

Photo #1, In this photo you can see how the box beams on the top side have been built. The beams running down the side of the crawler are to help support the external Chassis Frame. The box beams on the inside also have the webbing for the Pipe Chord supports.

Photo #2, Here you can see the finished beam section for the top side. The diagonal box beams for the main roof support, and the box beams running down the both sides. All to support the roof and load.

photo #3, This is how things look as all finished. The beam section is now over and I will be moving on to the construction of the outside finishing frame. Just a few pieces of external skin to install. At this time of the build the Crawler Chassis is now 24 inches long, (62 cm).

Photo #4, Parts for the internal structures. Fans, Vents, Fuel Tanks...ect.

Photo #5, Parts for the fuel tanks. I need to finish build the 2000 gallon fuel tanks and fully paint these before I can install them. The Fuel Tanks need to be installed before I install all the Pipe Chords or there will be to many items in the way to install.

Thats all for today. I'll be back shortly, Thanks!
« Last Edit: 04/29/2014 11:14 pm by RichO »

Offline RichO

« Reply #47 on: 04/29/2014 11:10 pm »

Offline RichO

« Reply #48 on: 05/01/2014 07:49 pm »
HEY EVERYBODY,

So for today I have finished the skin install. I just had a few pieces to install before I move to the interior.

In the first photo are the parts for this install. The braces on the right side of the photo are to support the loose edges of the skin.

Photo #2, and #3, This shows the bracing mounted into place. I had eight of these to install.

Photo #4, This shows the side skin mounted into place. You can see how the skin mounts to the bracing to create a nice clean edge and a strong support.

Photo #5, This is a view of corner "A". This shows how the skin wraps around corner "A" and is the finished skin for the corners. These will be visable on the compleated model, so all is straight and clean.

Now I get to move into the interior. Next is the feul tanks and the floor grates. All the small fun stuff!!
That all for today. Stay tuned!! Thanks.
« Last Edit: 05/01/2014 07:51 pm by RichO »

Offline RichO

« Reply #49 on: 05/01/2014 07:50 pm »

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #50 on: 05/03/2014 12:05 pm »
Hi Rich,
this all looks very stable now.

Can't wait to see how the many Pipe Chords are comming along, maybe one of the next steps?

I stay tuned.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline RichO

« Reply #51 on: 05/03/2014 03:34 pm »
MANFRED,  The Pipe Chords are comming up next.

HEY GUYS,

So a brief post for today. I have built one of the Fuel Tanks and thought you'd like to see the construction.

Photo #1, The parts for the tank and the first Fuel Tank constructed. This is a simple rectangle cube.

Offline RichO

« Reply #52 on: 05/03/2014 03:36 pm »
Photo #2, Here I have marked the sides of the tank for layout of the Tank Belly Support Straps.

Offline RichO

« Reply #53 on: 05/03/2014 03:37 pm »
Photo #3, The strapping around the ends.

Offline RichO

« Reply #54 on: 05/03/2014 03:39 pm »
Photo #4, Around the ends and across the sides with the strapping.
« Last Edit: 05/03/2014 03:45 pm by RichO »

Offline RichO

« Reply #55 on: 05/03/2014 03:44 pm »
Photo #5, And now, the finished Fuel Tank. I still need to paint this, but I will wait untill I build the other tank, and then off to the paint dept. The brass ladder I got from "Model Shipways". The mounting gear on the top is temporarily in place so you can see how things look outside the crawler.

I have another tank to build and then the floor grates and Pipe Chords. Thanks for watching all.
« Last Edit: 05/03/2014 03:46 pm by RichO »

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #56 on: 05/05/2014 10:29 pm »
Hello Rich,

wow, you're making great progress, all respectable. What a lot of new details, which coming along nicely, very impressive!

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline RichO

« Reply #57 on: 05/06/2014 04:42 pm »
Thanks Manfred, I can actualy see the details this time!

HEY GUYS,

So, to get cought up on my postings today, I have a bunch of photos of the build.

In this photo I have painted the Fuel Tanks and these are now ready to install.

Offline RichO

« Reply #58 on: 05/06/2014 04:44 pm »
These next photos are of the installation of the floor grates.

Photo #1, This is the space where the floor grates are to be installed.

Offline RichO

« Reply #59 on: 05/06/2014 04:50 pm »
In these next two photos, you can see my notes about the floor grate patterns. I have made my notes on stiff cars stock, and then all is transfered to the screen mesh and then cut out and installed.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography