Author Topic: Crawler redo at 1/72  (Read 102087 times)

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
Re: Crawler redo at 1/72
« Reply #20 on: 04/16/2014 10:42 pm »
Hello Rich, my busy Plastic man,

secretly and quietly he is starting now with the 1:72 crawler, this is a surprise!

Have you printed the parts on sheet? How did you do that and to what thickness is that possible?

Keep on this amazing beast, I stay tuned!

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline RichO

• Olympia, washington USA
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: 04/17/2014 12:47 am »
What a nice suprise, nice to see you here!!

So this new build is going great so far as you can see. What I have done here is to go to my local printers and had the drawings enlarged to 1/72 scale and printed onto a thin print paper. I then sprayed a very lo-tac adheasive onto the paper sheets and "glued" them to the 16 x 24 inch styrene sheets. The spry adheasive is so "lo-tac" that once I have cut out the parts, I simply peel off the paper outlines, and it's ready for painting.

As far as the styrene thickness goes, of course there are several different thickness depending on the particular parts to be built. The main Chassis here, I have chosen a 0.20 inch-0.5mm thick sheet. To get to this figure I simply measured the thickness of the paper kit and enlarged the figures to a 1/72 scale and then matched as close as I could to the Evergreen Styrene sheets. On these Chassis parts, I feel is just ever so slightly thicker that the enlargement should be, but once again I have to go with what the manufacture has to offer. I felt I would rather go a little heavyer than thinner. The only down fall is that the styrene sheets are a bit tougher to cut by hand, but also this makes the model really stiff and heavyer.

Thanks for watching the new build, this should be much better than the original paper build.
OMG, I finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there's nothing right, and on the right side there's nothing left!

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #22 on: 04/17/2014 02:31 am »
You sir, are a crazy man.[1]

I was going to ask how you got the markings. Do you find the very thin paper hard to lay down without getting wrinkles and throwing your dimensions off?

1 - That's a good thing.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline RichO

« Reply #23 on: 04/17/2014 01:12 pm »
LAR,

The paper that I am using is thicker than tissue paper, but not as thick as construction paper. About the same as typing paper but not quite. I went to Kinko's and use the blueprint machine to print the outlines. I have not had any shrinkage problems so far and the patterns are staying in place. The print itself is the same as Mischa's original, just no color involved, just the black outlines, and enlarged to 1/72.

BTW, how was that lego movie??
OMG, I finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there's nothing right, and on the right side there's nothing left!

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #24 on: 04/17/2014 01:31 pm »
LAR,

The paper that I am using is thicker than tissue paper, but not as thick as construction paper. About the same as typing paper but not quite. I went to Kinko's and use the blueprint machine to print the outlines. I have not had any shrinkage problems so far and the patterns are staying in place. The print itself is the same as Mischa's original, just no color involved, just the black outlines, and enlarged to 1/72.

Did you process it to remove the images and retain the outlines? Or did Mischa? That seems like a lot of work to remove all the art...

BTW, how was that lego movie??
The LEGO Movie??  "Everything was Awesome!" [1]

1 - a bit of an in joke, if you've seen it you'll get it.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline RichO

« Reply #25 on: 04/17/2014 11:05 pm »
LAR,

In order to obtain the outlines that Mischa has made available, you first need to purchase the kit. It's ony made available to kit owners.

Offline RichO

« Reply #26 on: 04/18/2014 12:55 pm »
HI ALL,

I have some more of the 1/72 crawler to show today.

This build so for is going great. Much better than before, like I said: because I know where I messed up last time. Anyway a lot more cutting and some new photos.

Photo #1, These are the rest of the pipe chord supports.

Photo #2, These are the slots that the new cut supports fit into.

Photo #3, This is a shot of the bottom befroe the pipe chord supports are installed.

Photo #4, Here we have all the pipe chord supports installed.

Photo #5, Another view of the top side with the pipe chord supports installed.

After all the pipe chord supports have been installed, it's now time to brace the internal beam structures. The big difference so far from the paper kit is that the styrene is much stiffer. So I really don't need to install these however just like the paper, these do make the beams extreamly ridgid. I do like how strong these make the model feel, so I will follow through with the bracing installation.

Photo #6, I will be using thes Evergreen 1.5mm angles to do the bracing work.

Photo #7, And this is how I will install all the bracing. The bracing goes along the beam center structures and along any structures that can not be seen when the finish facing applied.

Like most of you, it takes me three days to cut the new parts and then an hour to install them. So hang tight all I'll be back. Thanks.

« Last Edit: 04/18/2014 12:55 pm by RichO »

Offline RichO

« Reply #27 on: 04/18/2014 12:57 pm »

Offline RichO

« Reply #28 on: 04/18/2014 12:57 pm »

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #29 on: 04/18/2014 03:21 pm »
Hi Rich,

your restart with sheet looks really cool, and you can see that it gives you back a lot of fun.

Nothing against paper model building, but that's all much more stable and easier to handle, and on top of that at this comfortable scale. That must just make fun, right?

Keep up the great job, this will become a monstrously powerful crawler for heavy traffic.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #30 on: 04/18/2014 11:00 pm »
Looks great.  I would suggest motorized treads, but I don't want to give you anymore ideas!

Offline RichO

« Reply #31 on: 04/20/2014 03:55 pm »
Ron, thats enough of that now!

Offline shuttlemodeler

• AD ASTRA PER ASPERA
  • hamden CT
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #32 on: 04/20/2014 04:32 pm »
the self levelers too.   wow that would be great.
"It is enough if one tries everyday to comprehend a little of this mystery"
(A. Einstein)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #33 on: 04/20/2014 05:25 pm »
LAR,

In order to obtain the outlines that Mischa has made available, you first need to purchase the kit. It's ony made available to kit owners.

Oops, I wasn't trying to angle for ME getting the outlines, fair is fair, Mischa deserves payment for his work, I was just curious how you got them, whether you had to post process or what. Mischa did the work already, awesome.

Offline cyana

• Liked: 0
« Reply #34 on: 04/24/2014 05:19 pm »
Really impressive RichO!!!! Unbelievable work. I'll follow your thread with great interest

Offline RichO

« Reply #35 on: 04/25/2014 05:41 pm »
TOM, OMG I hadn't thought of that! I gotta think on how to do that......

Offline RichO

« Reply #36 on: 04/25/2014 05:45 pm »
LAR,  Mischa has also designed the MLP/LUT kit that goes along with the Crawler. I have heard that the MLP/LUT kit could have more than 20,000 parts!! Thats a lot of cutting!! Just not quite ready for release yet.

Offline RichO

« Reply #37 on: 04/25/2014 05:50 pm »
CYANA,  What a nice surprise!! I'm glad you like the new build, this prommises to be a great new project and so much more stable! Thanks for following along.

Offline RichO

« Reply #38 on: 04/25/2014 06:00 pm »
HEY ALL

Materials hve been recieved and the construction continues.

This first photo is the bottom frame just partly cut. This also shows how I printed the model parts onto a thin paper and then mounted these onto the styrene sheets. When the parts are cut out and ready to install, I simply peel off the paper kit parts and then install like normal.

Photo #2, Is the entire bottom frame plate cut and ready to install. This cutting process took several day to cut and prep.

Photo#3, Here are the center webs of the bottom beams. I will install these standing up straight and will be under the finished bottom frame plate. Then the box beams will be installed.

Keepm watching all, Thanks!

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #39 on: 04/25/2014 08:59 pm »
Hi Rich,

well then you have to do so for some years, and the paper crawler shrivels sulking in the corner ...

I let surprise me and stay tuned.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight