Author Topic: Hoax: Algeria may launch a satellite by itself very soon?  (Read 3612 times)

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

I have very large doubts about this claim, but there are reports out there that Algeria will launch the ALSAT 3 satellite out of the good old pad at Hammaguir very soon (in fact the French report that I read puts the launch date as January 2014, i.e. this month as of early last month!).

Anyone have more details about this?

Source (in French): http://www.lemag.ma/L-Algerie-deviendrait-une-puissance-spatiale-en-2014_a77933.html
« Last Edit: 01/31/2014 01:56 pm by input~2 »
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

A bit of (French) discussion in this French spaceflight forum (the consensus is just as skeptical): http://www.forum-conquete-spatiale.fr/t15412-lalgerie-sappreterait-a-lancer-une-fusee-dans-lespace
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723

Offline SoheilEsy

• 35°14'13"N / 53°57'08"E
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Algeria may launch a satellite by itself very soon?
« Reply #3 on: 01/31/2014 10:11 am »
Algeria !? :o
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Offline asdert

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Algeria may launch a satellite by itself very soon?
« Reply #4 on: 01/31/2014 10:32 am »
As far as I can see, the initial report was posted in the strategika51 blog in November 2013 and was copied to several other blogs by the same author. I can't see any other source cited. Some online media just copied the blog entries, but Le Quotidien d'Algérie declares it a year-end-joke with a nice picture of the rocket (while others simply show a space shuttle).

Appearantly, there was a similar April fool's joke back in 2010. The 2010 author was surprised to see his prediction a few years later again, but this time not on April 1st, so not an obvious hoax.

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography