Author Topic: Space Shuttle Atlantis @ Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex  (Read 143694 times)

Offline Overflow

• Space Shuttle Aficonado
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
I saw Atlantis on Monday, July 22, for my birthday!  She was amazing!  I felt myself tremble as the screen was being raised.  After building models for so many years of the shuttles, I really had not anticipated how big they are!  We took an Up-Close tour of the VAB and Pad 39A that day, so we were pressed for time and didn't get to see all of the exhibits in the Atlantis building, but with the year pass, we will return and I will take many more pictures.

Link to my pictures:

http://s947.photobucket.com/user/Ronpur/slideshow/Atlantis

One final thought, while I enjoyed seeing her, I would rather see her flying again!

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
I saw Atlantis on Monday, July 22, for my birthday!  She was amazing!  I felt myself tremble as the screen was being raised.  After building models for so many years of the shuttles, I really had not anticipated how big they are!  We took an Up-Close tour of the VAB and Pad 39A that day, so we were pressed for time and didn't get to see all of the exhibits in the Atlantis building, but with the year pass, we will return and I will take many more pictures.

Link to my pictures:

http://s947.photobucket.com/user/Ronpur/slideshow/Atlantis

One final thought, while I enjoyed seeing her, I would rather see her flying again!

Hello Ronpur50. :)

I really enjoyed your pictures!

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL

Thanks, Overflow!  I really enjoyed yours as well.  She is amazing, isn't she?

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida

Thanks, Overflow!  I really enjoyed yours as well.  She is amazing, isn't she?

Thanks!

Without a doubt. KSCVC did an amazing job at displaying her.

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523

Awesome, got goose bumps... Thanks for sharing it with us.  :)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
Great tribute!  Makes me wish I was back there to see her again!

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida

Awesome, got goose bumps... Thanks for sharing it with us.  :)

No problem!  :)

Great tribute!  Makes me wish I was back there to see her again!

Hopefully you will!

Offline brettreds2k

• Charlotte, NC
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 42
Great video, Although I did fast forward through the part where you took a video of the movie they play, I do not want to know what that movie looks like till I see it in person  ;D
Brett
www.facebook.com/brett.lowenthal1

Orbiters I have visited in retirement:

[ ] Enterprise
[X] Discovery
[X] Atlantis
[ ] Endeavour

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
Great video, Although I did fast forward through the part where you took a video of the movie they play, I do not want to know what that movie looks like till I see it in person  ;D

I totally understand!  :D Thankfully, I didn't include all of the pre shows. You will not be disappointed when you visit!

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
Hey guys! I don't know if any of you knew this, but there's actually Atlantis BILLBOARDS in Orlando, Florida! A friend of mine sent me these pictures.

I know there's radio ads going on, but I had no idea KSCVC even went with roadside advertisements.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
I know there's radio ads going on, but I had no idea KSCVC even went with roadside advertisements.
They've had versions on I-95 coming down from Jacksonville and I believe I-75 in the Georgia / Florida border area for years.

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
They've had versions on I-95 coming down from Jacksonville and I believe I-75 in the Georgia / Florida border area for years.

I've seen them. They're cool.

I was talking about specifically the Atlantis exhibit.

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
They're on I-95 south of Jacksonville, too. I think there were always KSC billboards on the interstates in Florida but they've been rebranded as Atlantis billboards in the last month or so.

Of course, there are still five Ron Jon Surf Shop billboards for every KSC billboard...  :-)

My favorite ad campaign was for St. Augustine, though. "40 miles of beaches and the rest is History." Brilliant!

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
They're on I-95 south of Jacksonville, too. I think there were always KSC billboards on the interstates in Florida but they've been rebranded as Atlantis billboards in the last month or so.

Of course, there are still five Ron Jon Surf Shop billboards for every KSC billboard...  :-)

My favorite ad campaign was for St. Augustine, though. "40 miles of beaches and the rest is History." Brilliant!

I would love to see an Atlantis TV ad!

That last one is a great saying! I love it!

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
Meanwhile, apparently the first rush is over and almost everyday life has arrived.

Here is also an already not more brand new video with nice details:

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline Skylon

• Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 7
I saw Atlantis this past weekend - my party did the mega tour (VAB and LC 39A) so we were pressed for time by the time we reached Atlantis (less than an hour before closing). Like the carnivorousness of the VAB (the transfer aisle is that long), one thing that I learned was that pictures don't do justice was the vastness of the TPS. I've seen dozens of pictures of the underside of the shuttle, but once you get an actual look, and see the size of the vehicle itself, you get a context of what that many tiles looks like. I liked the, admittedly more glamorous top views (though is there any way to get a good look at the top of the right wing?) but I was surprised how I ended up more impressed by the underside.

Ironically I've gone to Florida to see an orbiter, before visiting the one an hour away (Enterprise). So far my only view of her was under her deflated tent, during a wacky commute to work, post-Sandy.
« Last Edit: 08/28/2013 01:09 pm by Skylon »

Offline Sarah

• Shuttle Hugger
  • 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
  • Iowa
  • Liked: 8
I saw Atlantis this past weekend - my party did the mega tour (VAB and LC 39A) so we were pressed for time by the time we reached Atlantis (less than an hour before closing). Like the carnivorousness of the VAB (the transfer aisle is that long), one thing that I learned was that pictures don't do justice was the vastness of the TPS. I've seen dozens of pictures of the underside of the shuttle, but once you get an actual look, and see the size of the vehicle itself, you get a context of what that many tiles looks like. I liked the, admittedly more glamorous top views (though is there any way to get a good look at the top of the right wing?) but I was surprised how I ended up more impressed by the underside.

Ironically I've gone to Florida to see an orbiter, before visiting the one an hour away (Enterprise). So far my only view of her was under her deflated tent, during a wacky commute to work, post-Sandy.

I've been to all four orbiter retirement sites over this summer. There's not really anyway to get a good look at the top of the right wing with Atlantis. The only site you can get a good view of it is with Discovery. Here's a shot I took of it.

« Last Edit: 08/28/2013 04:04 pm by Sarah »
Photo Album
Launches: 51L, 133, 134, 135
Scrubs: 70
Landings: 135

Offline Overflow

• Tampa, Florida
Lets not forget that when Endeavour is displayed in her permanent exhibit at the CSC, we'll get the best view of the top of a shuttle.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography