Author Topic: Gerstenmaier expands on recently announced asteroid mission  (Read 114813 times)

Offline Hop_David

• Ajo, Arizona
    • Hop's Gallery
  • Liked: 115
  • Likes Given: 42
Re: Gerstenmaier expands on recently announced asteroid mission
« Reply #400 on: 02/20/2015 02:40 PM »
Or putting it another way ARM is a valid mission without astronauts, SLS, Orion and return of the samples.

It could be a test bed for Planetary Resources or DSI. A body whose light lag latency is only 3 seconds. Frequent luanch windows and trip time less than a week.

The trial and error process of developing a new mining technology could proceed at a much faster rate.

Equipment being developed would be robotic. But occasional human presence could be helpful. I would like to see man tended habitat -- a habitat that's not constantly occupied but can accomodate occasional visits.

If there's humans in the picture, I would much rather they'd be delivered by Falcons and Dragons than the SLS and Orion.

Offline D_Dom

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 198
  • Likes Given: 112
Re: Gerstenmaier expands on recently announced asteroid mission
« Reply #401 on: 02/20/2015 03:08 PM »
Read all your posts with interest Hop. I would like to see some of your ideas on the mining technology. Communications lag of 3 secs with low cost access and weekly round trip times will be a paradigm shift. Care to speculate on the economic side?
Space is not merely a matter of life or death, it is considerably more important than that!

Tags: