Author Topic: KSC could facilitate military and commercial operators in the OPFs  (Read 4024 times)

Offline RocketmanUS

• USA
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 31
Nice , thanks  :)

Could the laid off shuttle personnel be able to be hired to work on Dream Chaser.

For Dream Chaser , Am I reading this right that they can remove unwanted items from one of the OPF's for that customer?

Would they be planning on having public tours of the commercially used OPF's? If so that could be a problem if one of them is used by the X-37B.

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 1172
  • Likes Given: 7832

Could the laid off shuttle personnel be able to be hired to work on Dream Chaser.
AFAIK SNC have said as much. Primarily for the TPS. Weather they will (or have *already* done so) is a different matter.

It's been a while. I'm wondering how many are left that have not found new work.

BFS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of flying in Earth and Mars atmospheres. BFR. The worlds biggest Methane fueled FFORSC engined CFRP structured booster for BFS. First flight to Mars by end of 2022. Forward looking statements. T&C apply. Believe no one. Run your own numbers. So, you are going to Mars to start a better life? Picture it in your mind. Now say what it is out loud.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11172
  • Likes Given: 331

For Dream Chaser , Am I reading this right that they can remove unwanted items from one of the OPF's for that customer?

Would they be planning on having public tours of the commercially used OPF's? If so that could be a problem if one of them is used by the X-37B.

yes, if they are qualified.

yes

no, they would no longer be NASA facilities.

Offline phred

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
Anyone know how the Air Force X-37B folks feel about doing this?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 11172
  • Likes Given: 331
Anyone know how the Air Force X-37B folks feel about doing this?

Depends on flight rate.  There are no more manifested currently.

Offline Flightstar

• Lurking around OPF High Bay 2
  • KSC, Florida
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 5

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
And X-37B has landed!
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20140104/SPACE/301040013/KSC-lands-secret-X-37B-space-plane-jobs?nclick_check=1

I assume that means that someone has ordered additional X-37 flights. I assume one will always be located in the OPF, since they haven't found the need to fly multiple at one time, yet.

Offline newpylong

• Liked: 199
  • Likes Given: 343
Great news. That leaves OPF-2 for Dreamchaser if they go that route...

Tags: