Author Topic: KH-11 KENNEN  (Read 46050 times)

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2047
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: KH-11 KENNEN
« Reply #220 on: 03/03/2017 10:13 PM »
Was the Intelsat VI derived from Leasat? I have not seen any indication it was. But I have a detailed article on Intelsat VI from a comsat journal and I should consult that.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 924
  • Likes Given: 219
« Reply #221 on: 03/04/2017 01:13 AM »
Surprised no one has suggested Mars relay yet.
I just saw some idiot at the gym put a water bottle in the pringles holder on the treadmill.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #222 on: 03/04/2017 01:50 AM »

Do the mass.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #223 on: 03/04/2017 02:40 AM »

Do the mass.

Without breaking out the slide rule,
   An Atlas 541 sent the Curiosity Rover plus MSL (3893kg) to Mars. 
   Leasat (According to Gunther) was 3400kg at launch, 1388kg after GSO insertion.
   The DV to go from Mars Transfer to Mars orbit is less than the DV to go from GTO to GSO.

So assuming this spacecraft is very similar to Leasat and Leasat needed a DV of 1800 m/s to go from GTO to GSO.
Then assuming the propulsion system is suitable for a trip to Mars and Mars insertion, the only real issue is paying for the Atlas v541.

It's not free, someone has to pay for the rocket, mods to the spacecraft to do the relay mission, and solar panels need to generate enough power at Mars orbit to power the spacecraft and mission (This may be the real show stopper).
I just saw some idiot at the gym put a water bottle in the pringles holder on the treadmill.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #224 on: 03/04/2017 03:00 AM »

Offline 4353

• Tracking the Dark Side
  • Leiden, Netherlands
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #225 on: 03/04/2017 02:22 PM »
That might not be the only reason, a higher apogee in the northern hemisphere should give them a wider field of view at the cost of resolution, while USA 186's perigee (without doing math, and looking at heavens above) appears to be near the equator, Venezuela?, South China Sea?. That said, USA 245's perigee seems to be over Antarctica (wide field of view?), leaving USA 224 with a perigee that is pretty much above Europe, Russia, and China.

The perigee position of the KH-11 is actually not fixed but varies with time.

Typical orbit boosts occur at the moment perigee is on the equator.

Offline gosnold

• Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #226 on: 03/04/2017 02:25 PM »
That might not be the only reason, a higher apogee in the northern hemisphere should give them a wider field of view at the cost of resolution, while USA 186's perigee (without doing math, and looking at heavens above) appears to be near the equator, Venezuela?, South China Sea?. That said, USA 245's perigee seems to be over Antarctica (wide field of view?), leaving USA 224 with a perigee that is pretty much above Europe, Russia, and China.

The perigee position of the KH-11 is actually not fixed but varies with time.

Typical orbit boosts occur at the moment perigee is on the equator.

Could you give more info on that? 

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #227 on: 03/09/2017 11:20 PM »
My February 1999 Spaceflight article about the QUASAR SDS relay satellite. I have no idea why the scan came out so pink, because the pages are not pink. I also don't know if there is a way to color correct an entire pdf document. Anyway, this article is where I connected the dots between QUASAR and the Intelsat VI series of satellites.

Note: I'll produce a better scan of this and post it here. Just need to try a different scanner.

UPDATE: I took down this version. Get the better version that I just posted.
« Last Edit: 03/10/2017 02:59 PM by Blackstar »

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #228 on: 03/10/2017 09:20 PM »
I have been battling my scanner. For some reason when I scanned this in vertical orientation set for A4 paper size it chopped off the page numbers and issue information. So I have re-scanned it in horizontal A4 setting and that fits. You'll have to rotate it yourself.

Update: you ever have one of those days when nothing seems to go right? I deleted the file and re-scanned the article again, horizontally, because I thought it was cutting off the page numbers. Turns out I was wrong and it was NOT doing that. Anyway, here it is. This is the right version. I promise.
« Last Edit: 03/10/2017 09:49 PM by Blackstar »

Tags: