Author Topic: SNC Dream Chaser DISCUSSION Thread  (Read 424775 times)

Offline adrianwyard

• Liked: 145
  • Likes Given: 193
Re: SNC Dream Chaser DISCUSSION Thread
« Reply #1780 on: 02/13/2017 08:12 PM »
Right. There was speculation that SNC would switch over to Orbitec abort motors after they acquired the company in 2014. Propane-NOx IIRC. But then they lost the crew contract, and cargo DC was spec'd without them.

Orbitec are reportedly providing the thrusters for cargo DC, so it's possible they could develop large motors for abort at some point.

Side note: info on the cargo DC thrusters is still surprisingly hard to find, i.e. which propellants will be used, spark ignition? Anyone heard anything of late?
« Last Edit: 02/13/2017 08:13 PM by adrianwyard »

Offline Rocket Science

• Maker of physicists and engineers…
  • Liked: 1883
  • Likes Given: 4355
« Reply #1781 on: 02/13/2017 08:20 PM »
Right. There was speculation that SNC would switch over to Orbitec abort motors after they acquired the company in 2014. Propane-NOx IIRC. But then they lost the crew contract, and cargo DC was spec'd without them.

Orbitec are reportedly providing the thrusters for cargo DC, so it's possible they could develop large motors for abort at some point.

Side note: info on the cargo DC thrusters is still surprisingly hard to find, i.e. which propellants will be used, spark ignition? Anyone heard anything of late?
All I know is that it will still be non-toxic which is one of their selling points...
http://www.sncspace.com/Mediakit/FAQ
“All engineering experiments generate valuable data, the failures are the ones that yield the most”
Rob

Online Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 2031
  • Likes Given: 1138
« Reply #1782 on: 02/13/2017 11:55 PM »
I will try to post a few quotes from the article tonight. I have access to it through my phone's Twitter account for some reason. Essentially, SNC suggested this Hubble servicing mission with a crewed DC (twice) to the transition team. The transition team said that this is the kind of decision that would have to be made by the NASA Administrator but that the Trump administration is open to private-public partnerships especially if a mission can be done prior to 2020.

That's .. interesting ... but seems more like wishful thinking than anything else.
« Last Edit: 02/13/2017 11:59 PM by Lars-J »

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #1783 on: 02/14/2017 03:22 AM »
May be possible with cargo version plus a crew dragon or star liner. Have crew rendezvous with DC at Hubble, transfer to DC. Use its robotic arm and airlock for repair mission, then transfer back to crew vehicle for return.

NB developing a crew DC by 2020 maybe big ask especially if NASA is not helping fund it.

Offline brickmack

• USA
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1784 on: 02/14/2017 06:32 PM »
The old plans for HL-20 did include a 'towed package' stored in the stage adapter, so you could resurrect that idea, but it seems less useful than the DC cargo module or Dragon trunk.

DC Crew was also proposed to support such a thing, was shown able to carry modules about the size of DC Cargos expendable module.

Tags: