Author Topic: SNC outline Dream Chaser's Enterprise-style landing test approach  (Read 55895 times)

Online Chris Bergin

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/06/snc-dream-chasers-enterprise-test-approach/

Really, really enjoying writing these up. Again thanks to Lee Jay for carrying out the interview for this latest series of content (full resources in L2).

Another article to come in this series.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
Great article - I look forward to seeing this bird fly. :)

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
Has it been determined if the vertical stabilizer is movable?

Offline Zachstar

• Expert
  • Washington State
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 2
Thanks for the article!

If I had to pick. I would consider this a STRONG #2 for crew to the ISS. Yet I very much worry of what will happen if they get reduced funding in the #3 slot. The lack of funding is already pushing manned flights back by years and I wonder if any of these smaller companies can seriously say "no worries we can wait" for a flight chance and funding after SpaceX and Boeing.

If that happens it ought to be made into a movie. Oldspace Spacecraft and systems astronomically overbudget while newer companies meeting EVERY objective on time despite reduced chances getting the boot because congress thinks 300M is better spent elsewhere. I would say that is surprising but this is congress we are talking about.
« Last Edit: 06/09/2012 10:45 am by Zachstar »

Online Chris Bergin

Thanks!

And thread trimmed after being derailed into a complete unrelated BEO discussion.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729

Yes, sounds like a well thought out test program.

"The test plan also progresses towards the use Dream Chaser’s hybrid motors, for the purpose of expanding the flight envelope both faster and higher, during the later stages of testing."

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Zachstar

• Expert
  • Washington State
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 2
I agree. And as the motors are designed for very routine suborbital flights on the SS2 the cost to do it should be small compared to the extra data it gains.

That is why I think they are deserving of the #2 slot. Even tho most likely that spot will go to Boeing. :(

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 921
Great article Chris - Thanks for your hard work.
How long will the ALT test program last.
How fast will the DC go with its rockets
How high will she get.
looking forward to seeing the resurgence of dynamic test programs at Edwards again :D

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
How high will she get.

I asked all those questions.  For the first, they weren't sure because it would depend on how things went, sort of like SpaceX and C2/C3/C2+.  For the second two, they weren't ready to share that information yet, but they did point out that the engines are quite powerful and so they could expand the envelope significantly compared to a free drop.

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
What exactly is the challenge with tires in space ?

I assume they aren't inflatable tires, but one solid piece of rubber-like material. I can understand the issues with handling a gas-filled tire in space. Too much expansion / contraction with the pressure changes.

Is the problem with a "steer-able" wheel, where the steering mechanism might freeze up , and that doesn't happen with the rear wheels that are only expected to roll in a fixed direction ?

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
How high will she get.

I asked all those questions.  For the first, they weren't sure because it would depend on how things went, sort of like SpaceX and C2/C3/C2+.  For the second two, they weren't ready to share that information yet, but they did point out that the engines are quite powerful and so they could expand the envelope significantly compared to a free drop.
Thanks Lee Jay. FWIW - you are a generous person, thanks again.

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 1330
  • Likes Given: 173
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/06/snc-dream-chasers-enterprise-test-approach/

Really, really enjoying writing these up. Again thanks to Lee Jay for carrying out the interview for this latest series of content (full resources in L2).

Another article to come in this series.

Thanks for the article Chris.
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico

I assume they aren't inflatable tires, but one solid piece of rubber-like material. I can understand the issues with handling a gas-filled tire in space. Too much expansion / contraction with the pressure changes.

Is the problem with a "steer-able" wheel, where the steering mechanism might freeze up , and that doesn't happen with the rear wheels that are only expected to roll in a fixed direction ?

I've been wondering this myself - I can see that a skid is more thermally benign, uses less volume stored, simple to replace. Are these real issues- the Shuttle, SR-71, xb-70 all had difficult thermal conditions up front bujt clearly were solved. Both the SR-71 and the Shuttle had early problems with tires/struts but this technology has been available for decades.

Offline Go4TLI

• Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 0

Given the thermal environment and ranges it sees the tire pressures have to monitored appropriately.  In addition, in order to keep the tires healthy this could be a driver from a thermal perspective.  And given this vehicle projected length of stay on orbit it is easier if one tire can be removed, especially when it is in a different zone of the vehicle.

Offline brihath

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 28
Great article Chris! 

I would be interested in learning how close the DC flight test version is to the orbital version.  It looks like it doesn't have TPS installed, but what else is not installed that is required for the orbital version?  Perhaps that could be covered in a future article?

Online Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
The first X-37B spent longer than Dream Chaser will in space, and the second will be over twice as long in space. Is there any sharing of information about tires between the two projects?

Offline brihath

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 28

Given the thermal environment and ranges it sees the tire pressures have to monitored appropriately.  In addition, in order to keep the tires healthy this could be a driver from a thermal perspective.  And given this vehicle projected length of stay on orbit it is easier if one tire can be removed, especially when it is in a different zone of the vehicle.

I understand there may be a challenge there, but hasn't that already been tested in the X-37?  Does it have a nose skid or a tire?

Offline Go4TLI

• Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 0

I understand there may be a challenge there, but hasn't that already been tested in the X-37?  Does it have a nose skid or a tire?

It definitely has tires for the mains, and maybe nose too.  However, that is a free flying vehicle and therefore the thermal constraints are much easier to manage

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
From the history of flights from the series of lifting bodies a safe prediction will be the challenges in the flight control system. Fortunately with the power of modern computers and simulators will help ameliorate the situation...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Online Chris Bergin

Thanks guys! :) And yes, there's a lot more to cover. We have some of that already for the next article, but I need to speak to the good people at Aerojet (always very helpful) about the trusters to complete this next article.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography