Author Topic: Amazon founder finds Apollo engines on ocean floor  (Read 82432 times)

Offline OV135

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Amazon founder finds Apollo 11 engines on ocean floor
« Reply #120 on: 03/22/2013 01:54 pm »
I hope someday there will be another recovery expedition to get more of the S I-C stage. 

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #121 on: 03/22/2013 02:34 pm »
..and the LEM descent stage!
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #122 on: 03/23/2013 04:57 pm »
Saw the retrieval ship just leave Port Canaveral

Confirmed, Seabed Worker is headed out to sea on practically the same track she came in on.

Do you think they are going out to the same location to recover more hardware?

INTEGRATOR

Isn't there a ship tracking site where you can track ships based upon their GPS transponders? Could check that.

try here:  Click on last know position link to show Google Map.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=259889000

As this is all commercial, so probably the answer is no, but they didn't happen to communicate the exact spot they pulled these engines from ?
IF they are from Apollo 11, just curious how close the predictions where
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=28468.0

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #123 on: 03/25/2013 09:17 pm »
Jeff Bezos' salvaged rocket engines land in Kansas for conservation
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-032513b.html

The historic NASA rocket engine parts raised off the ocean floor by Amazon founder Jeff Bezos have landed at a Kansas museum, where the 40-year-old artifacts' conservation will soon begin in view of the public.

The Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center announced Monday (March 25) the arrival of more than 25,000 pounds (11,340 kilograms) of Apollo-era F-1 engine components, which just four days earlier had arrived on shore in Cape Canaveral, Fla.

"Raising these artifacts from a depth of three miles below the ocean surface is a herculean task by itself, and we salute Bezos and his entire team for their perseverance and tenacity in the effort," said Jim Remar, Cosmosphere president and chief operating officer. Remar took charge of the conservation portion of the F-1 engine artifacts as they were offloaded at Port Canaveral to begin their trip to the Hutchinson, Kansas, musuem.

The Kansas Cosmosphere will allow the public, both in Hutchinson and online, a chance to watch the conservation effort.

A public observation gallery will soon allow Cosmosphere visitors to see the conservation work in progress. Exhibits about the maritime recovery of these artifacts and others will be housed in the observation area.

In addition, a new website is now under development that will allow the public to watch the progress live online.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8823
  • Likes Given: 7826
« Reply #124 on: 03/25/2013 10:59 pm »
Two Saturn V F-1 Engines used during Apollo Recovered

Published on Mar 25, 2013
Two F-1 engines that powered the first stage of the Saturn V rockets that lifted NASA's Apollo missions to the moon were recovered from the Atlantic Ocean March 20 by Jeff Bezos, the founder and Chief Executive Officer of the aerospace company Blue Origin and Amazon.com and arrived at Port Canaveral March 21. The engines will be restored by Bezos' team for public display.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
« Reply #125 on: 05/14/2013 10:17 pm »
Public invited to see Amazon CEO's moon engines in Kansas
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-051413b.html

The massive moon rocket engines that Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos salvaged from the ocean floor are now undergoing conservation in Kansas and the public is invited to come see.

The Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center will open its new SpaceWorks Observation Gallery on Friday, May 24, where visitors can get a clear view of the conservators as they preserve the parts for two mammoth Apollo Saturn V F-1 rocket engines that powered Americans to the moon. Some of the recovered engine artifacts at the Hutchinson museum weigh as much as 2,000 pounds (907 kilograms), while others are as small as a dime.

"These artifacts give us a magnificent window into history," Kansas Cosmosphere president Jim Remar said. "The F-1 remains the most powerful American liquid-fueled rocket engine ever developed. Studying these [salvaged] engines can provide us a tremendous amount of information about the design of future rockets and spacecraft."
« Last Edit: 05/16/2013 02:32 pm by collectSPACE »

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
Re: Amazon founder finds Apollo engines on ocean floor
« Reply #126 on: 05/15/2013 07:57 pm »
I'm assuming that efforts to preserve them includes trying to ID them ?

Offline RanulfC

• Heus tu Omnis! Vigilate Hoc!
  • Liked: 900
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #127 on: 05/16/2013 02:04 pm »
Public invited to see Amazon CEO's moon engines in Kansas
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-051413b.html

The massive moon rocket engines that Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos salvaged from the ocean floor are now undergoing conversation in Kansas and the public is invited to come see.

The Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center will open its new SpaceWorks Observation Gallery on Friday, May 24, where visitors can get a clear view of the conservators as they preserve the parts for two mammoth Apollo Saturn V F-1 rocket engines that powered Americans to the moon. Some of the recovered engine artifacts at the Hutchinson museum weigh as much as 2,000 pounds (907 kilograms), while others are as small as a dime.

"These artifacts give us a magnificent window into history," Kansas Cosmosphere president Jim Remar said. "The F-1 remains the most powerful American liquid-fueled rocket engine ever developed. Studying these [salvaged] engines can provide us a tremendous amount of information about the design of future rockets and spacecraft."

Going to go out on a limb here and say that the bolded above should have "conservation" as I don't think talking to the parts is going to achieve a whole lot :)

Randy
From The Amazing Catstronaut on the Black Arrow LV:
British physics, old chap. It's undignified to belch flames and effluvia all over the pad, what. A true gentlemen's orbital conveyance lifts itself into the air unostentatiously, with the minimum of spectacle and a modicum of grace. Not like our American cousins' launch vehicles, eh?

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
« Reply #128 on: 05/16/2013 02:33 pm »
Going to go out on a limb here and say that the bolded above should have "conservation" as I don't think talking to the parts is going to achieve a whole lot :)

Hah! Indeed — but just imagine if those engine parts could talk, the stories they could tell! (Corrected in original citation). Thanks.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #129 on: 05/16/2013 03:00 pm »

Hah! Indeed — but just imagine if those engine parts could talk, the stories they could tell! (Corrected in original citation). Thanks.

"Ya, here I was minding my own business when some dude lit this giant fireball in my belly and away I went... you young whippersnappers have it easy! After a while of that, it went out, much to my relief... but then I noticed I was falling! To top it off, I hit the water.. HARD."
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7829
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #130 on: 05/16/2013 06:15 pm »
I've been thinking about a trip to the Cosmosphere. I guess I gotta go now!

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
« Reply #131 on: 05/21/2013 12:45 pm »
First look at Amazon CEO's historic rocket engines being conserved in Kansas
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-052113a.html

Despite having stood up to the immense thrust needed to launch the mighty Saturn V rocket toward the moon, it turns out that the mammoth F-1 engines that powered the booster's first two-and-a-half minutes of flight were no match for the Atlantic Ocean.

The twisted and tattered remains of at least two engines, salvaged from the seafloor by an expedition organized and funded by Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos, are set to go on public view in Kansas on Friday (May 24) as conservators work to preserve them for generations of museum-goers to come.

Photo Gallery: http://www.collectspace.com/f1_firstlook
« Last Edit: 05/21/2013 12:45 pm by collectSPACE »

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #132 on: 05/21/2013 01:08 pm »
Have they identified from which Saturn V the F-1 engines are from?
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
« Reply #133 on: 05/21/2013 01:19 pm »
Have they identified from which Saturn V the F-1 engines are from?

No, and it may be some time before they can. Also, don't assume they are all from one Saturn V. As noted in the article:

"If you think of an engine as having four components — the turbo pump, the heat exchanger, the thrust structure and the LOX [liquid oxygen] dome — we have two prime pieces of each of those," said Remar. "We actually have five thrust structures, three LOX domes, two turbo pumps and two heat exchangers, and then we have one nozzle."

Remar went on to say, "Based on where it was raised, we're probably talking multiple vehicles, in my opinion. I don't have any concrete data on that, but I would be surprised if it all came from one vehicle."

NASA (Headquarters and Marshall), together with Rocketdyne, are trying to locate the records that would allow the individual parts' serial numbers (either NASA or Rocketdyne numbers) to be traced back to specific vehicles or missions.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #134 on: 05/21/2013 01:37 pm »
I would argue that they where retrieved from a single area (Debris feild) and thus came from a single vehicle. The vehicles did not all come down in the same place.

But I could easily be proved wrong.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #135 on: 05/21/2013 03:08 pm »
I would argue that they where retrieved from a single area (Debris feild) and thus came from a single vehicle. The vehicles did not all come down in the same place.

Can't find the map now... but someone made a map of all the reentry points for various Apollo first stages.. Several of them are close enough that the debris fields surely overlap.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8823
  • Likes Given: 7826
« Reply #136 on: 05/22/2013 02:50 am »

Can't find the map now... but someone made a map of all the reentry points for various Apollo first stages.. Several of them are close enough that the debris fields surely overlap.

Try here:  http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=7086.msg121783#msg121783
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
« Reply #137 on: 07/19/2013 05:22 pm »
Rocket engine part recovered by Amazon CEO has Apollo 11 history
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-071913a.html

Forty-four years (and three days) after it helped launch the first men to walk on the moon, a huge rocket engine part salvaged from the ocean floor has been positively identified as a historic component of the Apollo 11 lunar landing mission.

"I'm thrilled to share some exciting news," Amazon.com founder and CEO Jeff Bezos wrote Friday (July 19) on his Bezos Expeditions website. "44 years ago tomorrow [July 20] Neil Armstrong stepped onto the moon, and now we have recovered a critical technological marvel that made it all possible."

..."One of the conservators who was scanning the objects with a black light and a special lens filter has made a breakthrough discovery – "2044" – stenciled in black paint on the side of one of the massive thrust chambers," wrote Bezos. "2044 is the Rocketdyne [company] serial number that correlates to NASA number 6044, which is the serial number for F-1 Engine #5 from Apollo 11."

After removing more corrosion from the base of the same thrust chamber, the conservator also found "Unit No 2044" stamped into the massive engine part's metal surface.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #138 on: 07/21/2013 09:24 pm »
Rocket Engine Part Recovered  by Amazon CEO Has Apollo 11 Hishttp://news.yahoo.com/rocket-engine-part-recovered-amazon-ceo-apollo-11-124838031.htmltorylooks like he found the right ones  ;) 
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline collectSPACE

• Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
« Reply #139 on: 08/26/2013 10:06 pm »
Watch live as Amazon CEO's Apollo rocket engines are preserved
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-082613b.html

The historic rocket engine parts that Amazon.com CEO Jeff Bezos salvaged from the seafloor have now been launched online, providing the public a live view of the mutli-year effort to conserve the rare artifacts for future museum displays.

The Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center on Monday (Aug. 26) debuted the "Apollo F-1 Conservation" website, where visitors can learn more about the Apollo Saturn V rocket engine parts and view the work being done to save them.

The new site can be found at f1engineconservation.org.

"This recovery and conservation isn't just important to the Cosmosphere, or even the United States," Jim Remar, the president and chief operating officer of the Cosmosphere, said. "These engines represent a time and a program that effected people across the globe. It was important to us to share the process with explorers from all walks of life, so that they might find their own inspiration in this project."

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography