Author Topic: Space Exploration Vehicle Concept  (Read 107908 times)

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Space Exploration Vehicle Concept
« Reply #40 on: 10/17/2011 05:12 AM »
Small amount of new info

"Testing of different window configurations in the Reconfigurable Orbital Cockpit (ROC) facility followed by a CAD design of the recommended design."

True. Went by the ROC last Wednesday and saw it.
Do you have any idea when they're going to start doing field tests with it like they were doing with the old mock-up?

What do you mean by "field"?

The ROC mockup is foam-core. It's not going anywhere outside the simulator. But that's all you need for window evaluations.
JRF

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #41 on: 10/17/2011 08:32 AM »
Small amount of new info

"Testing of different window configurations in the Reconfigurable Orbital Cockpit (ROC) facility followed by a CAD design of the recommended design."

Do you have any idea when they're going to start doing field tests with it like they were doing with the old mock-up?

The ROC mockup is foam-core. It's not going anywhere outside the simulator. But that's all you need for window evaluations.
Looks like I incorrectly assumed that it was made of something harder.
« Last Edit: 10/17/2011 08:33 AM by manboy »
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #42 on: 10/18/2011 02:00 AM »
I hadn't seen this thread until today.  This SEV looks like it could be used as the basis for an in-space exploration ship or in-space satellite repair craft. 

Quick thought: Launch SEV and a repair platform/rocket stage aboard SLS.  Fly a fuel depot aboard a commercial rocket (or a bigger one aboard SLS), then a commercial crew vehicle (or Orion) with astronauts aboard to rendezvous with the fuel depot/SEV/repair platform-rocket stage.  Fly the SEV/repair platform to Hubble and service it.  Fly back to the fuel depot and Orion/commercial crew vehicle, then astronauts land back home.

And since the fuel depot/SEV would be left behind in a 28 degree orbit it would be usable for future missions to, say, the Lagrange points or the Moon, or other places.

Edited to add: couldn't SEV also be the basis of a lunar lander?  And would it be practical to build the SEV lunar lander, launch it to a fuel depot in low earth orbit, then launch Orion and the earth departure stage to it?
« Last Edit: 10/18/2011 02:09 AM by Bubbinski »
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 6211
  • Likes Given: 4562
« Reply #43 on: 10/18/2011 02:29 AM »
I hadn't seen this thread until today.  This SEV looks like it could be used as the basis for an in-space exploration ship or in-space satellite repair craft. 

Quick thought: Launch SEV and a repair platform/rocket stage aboard SLS.  Fly a fuel depot aboard a commercial rocket (or a bigger one aboard SLS), then a commercial crew vehicle (or Orion) with astronauts aboard to rendezvous with the fuel depot/SEV/repair platform-rocket stage.  Fly the SEV/repair platform to Hubble and service it.  Fly back to the fuel depot and Orion/commercial crew vehicle, then astronauts land back home.

And since the fuel depot/SEV would be left behind in a 28 degree orbit it would be usable for future missions to, say, the Lagrange points or the Moon, or other places.
The SEV is pretty tiny. You wouldn't need SLS for that mission.

The SEV would be much too small for the basis of a deep space hab, though you're right that those working on it have envisioned using it for satellite repair (etc). (Though I'm not sure the economics make sense for that particular use.)

Work on stuff like SEV, though, is EXACTLY what NASA HSF should be doing. Shame they're only at the level of funding that allows powerpoints and mockups. It's also supposed to form the basis of a pressurized lunar rover. The earliest use, though, would probably be a test at ISS.

I wonder if it could function as a tug? (or if that'd really be necessary?) A small craft like that seems to be beneficial in some circumstances... Like, it'd act as a suitlock module at a space station, it perhaps could also be depressurized (later repressurized) like the LEM or Apollo command module and act as a sort of backup airlock. Could maybe allow EVA support (though it'd probably need to be equipped with cold gas thrusters for safety of the EVA participants) or ability to conduct repairs of far-flung parts of a space station (or exploration stack). Its dual docking ports could allow it to act as a tug, towing elements far away from the ISS (or exploration stack or successor station) keep-out sphere close enough to be grappled by an arm (or perhaps just dock itself with its other docking port to the station, allowing transfer of pressurized cargo or consumables like fuel, water, etc, through optional NDS connectors that haven't been finalized yet...).

Just a bunch of crazy ideas. But interesting, anyway.

Anyone have any idea what sort of delta-v SEV would be capable of in free-flight, or is it too powerpoint for that to really make any sense to answer at this point?

Also, it seems like making SEV refuelable makes the most sense for its different missions... If SEV is going back and forth from a deep space hab to an asteroid, then it'd be more mass-efficient to store most of the fuel at the deep space stack than on the SEV.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #44 on: 10/18/2011 04:09 AM »
Now that I look at it a little bit more, yeah, it is tiny for an in-space exploration ship.  Maybe it could be the control module though? 

Quick thought: Have a SEV command/control/observation module docked to a Tranquility based hab module with docking ports, and an earth departure stage refuelable in space.  Oh, and dock other SEV's for asteroid exploration, satellite repair, or lunar landings as needed (or a 1-man "hopper").  Use Orion to get crews home.  And the SEV could be tested out on ISS first. 
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 9
« Reply #45 on: 10/18/2011 05:13 AM »
Small amount of new info

The ROC mockup was used to generate a CAD model that will be used to build a more sturdy mockup for other types of testing.
JRF

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
« Reply #46 on: 10/18/2011 10:59 AM »
Also, it seems like making SEV refuelable makes the most sense for its different missions... If SEV is going back and forth from a deep space hab to an asteroid, then it'd be more mass-efficient to store most of the fuel at the deep space stack than on the SEV.
I'm pretty sure the SEV is intended to be left in orbit around asteroid. While the hab module and the MPCV return to Earth.

Small amount of new info

The ROC mockup was used to generate a CAD model that will be used to build a more sturdy mockup for other types of testing.
Well I look forward to it.  :)
« Last Edit: 10/18/2011 11:02 AM by manboy »
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline RanulfC

• Heus tu Omnis! Vigilate Hoc!
  • Liked: 760
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #47 on: 10/18/2011 07:12 PM »
The SEV is pretty tiny.
But getting right down to it it has such HUGE potential.

- Space-Tug control module
- Lunar/Planetary lander command module
- Extended EVA/Operations pod command module

The SEV is looking-like/ending-up being a great start on a generic-modular spacecraft :)

Work on stuff like SEV, though, is EXACTLY what NASA HSF should be doing. Shame they're only at the level of funding that allows powerpoints and mockups. It's also supposed to form the basis of a pressurized lunar rover. The earliest use, though, would probably be a test at ISS.

I wonder if it could function as a tug? (or if that'd really be necessary?) A small craft like that seems to be beneficial in some circumstances...
If you look at the "aft" end of the cabin mock-up and CAD there is as a "bump" that could well be a "door"  to the "rest" of the vehicle :)

Anyone have any idea what sort of delta-v SEV would be capable of in free-flight, or is it too powerpoint for that to really make any sense to answer at this point?
Probably to "early" overall but if you think of it as being modular enough to "attach" to other sections the answer becomes something like, "How much do you need?" :)

Randy
From The Amazing Catstronaut on the Black Arrow LV:
British physics, old chap. It's undignified to belch flames and effluvia all over the pad, what. A true gentlemen's orbital conveyance lifts itself into the air unostentatiously, with the minimum of spectacle and a modicum of grace. Not like our American cousins' launch vehicles, eh?

Offline Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
  • Liked: 136
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #48 on: 10/21/2011 05:30 PM »
Ya know, I thought this thing looked a little familiar. ;)

http://www.startrek.com/database_article/travel-pod
"I didn't open the can of worms...
        ...I just pointed at it and laughed a little too loudly."

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #49 on: 12/06/2011 03:07 PM »
Conducting sound tests on the MMSEV sled to prepare for next week's test. (Attachment 1.)

Astronaut Mike Gernhardt & geologist Brent Garry will live in the MMSEV for 3 days & 2 nights.

Suit ports on the aft of the MMSEV. The sled is moving it across the air bearing floor. (Attachment 2.)

https://www.facebook.com/NASA.DRATS
Electronic Engineer by day, NASASpaceflight's ISS Editor by night | Read my NASASpaceflight articles here

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 169
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #50 on: 12/06/2011 03:40 PM »
Conducting sound tests on the MMSEV sled to prepare for next week's test. (Attachment 1.)

Astronaut Mike Gernhardt & geologist Brent Garry will live in the MMSEV for 3 days & 2 nights.

Suit ports on the aft of the MMSEV. The sled is moving it across the air bearing floor. (Attachment 2.)

https://www.facebook.com/NASA.DRATS
Way cool! - great post. Can we get a look at the inside? Is it made from plywood?

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 1941
  • Likes Given: 610
« Reply #51 on: 12/07/2011 01:19 AM »

They're going to be really cramped. That thing is designed for zero-g habitation.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
« Reply #52 on: 12/07/2011 03:16 AM »

They're going to be really cramped. That thing is designed for zero-g habitation.
And lunar gravity.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
« Reply #53 on: 12/15/2011 01:32 PM »
Some new stuff posted on facebook.

View of suitport from inside of mock-up.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2871154946341

And 91 photos have been uploaded to flickr (some low-res versions are attached below)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nasadesertrats/collections/72157628403577433/
« Last Edit: 12/15/2011 01:50 PM by manboy »

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
« Reply #54 on: 12/15/2011 04:21 PM »

Online Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 478
  • Likes Given: 543
« Reply #55 on: 12/15/2011 05:59 PM »
Oddly enough (and it ages me pretty well), whenever I look at that thing, I can hear this oddly toneless voice announcing: "I'm sorry Dave but I can't do that."
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 1941
  • Likes Given: 610
« Reply #56 on: 12/15/2011 11:04 PM »
Oddly enough (and it ages me pretty well), whenever I look at that thing, I can hear this oddly toneless voice announcing: "I'm sorry Dave but I can't do that."

Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline strangequark

• Co-Founder, Tesseract Space
  • Mojave, CA
  • Liked: 205
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #57 on: 12/16/2011 02:27 AM »

Nonsense! Being reminded of such a timeless piece of dramatic art ages you no more than being reminded of Hamlet. Though admittedly, I recall somewhat fewer spaceships in that work.
Don't flippantly discount the old rules of this industry. Behind each one lies a painful lesson learned from broken, twisted hardware. Learn those lessons, and respect the knowledge gained from them. Only then, see if you can write new rules that will meet those challenges.

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #58 on: 12/16/2011 02:40 AM »
Personally, I just wish we would build the damn thing and get on with it instead of remarking how it reminds us of 40+ year old movies.  ;)
Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 6211
  • Likes Given: 4562
« Reply #59 on: 01/29/2012 06:08 AM »
Any news on this? How much would it cost to actually build this thing? What are the dimensions and volume, etc?

It sounds to me like it might be kind of expensive for an ISS flight, at least as much as Cygnus at a VERY VERY minimum, since it needs to meet all the visiting vehicle requirements, plus it needs to operate as a totally separate crewed vehicle complete with suitlocks and windows and arms. Sounds like roughly a billion dollar project to get to just the ISS stage (though I hope they can do it for much less, I don't see how they can given the requirements).
« Last Edit: 01/29/2012 06:11 AM by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Tags: