Author Topic: t/Space CCDEV2 Concept  (Read 78179 times)

Offline Hauerg

• Berndorf, Austria
  • Liked: 520
  • Likes Given: 2574
Re: t/Space CCDEV2 Concept
« Reply #140 on: 05/03/2013 06:32 pm »
Still think, the t/space concept was the coolest one out there. Especially the lunar shuttle. Was thatspiral 2 back then? Liked the tandem ships plus tandem tankers a lot.

Offline RocketmanUS

• USA
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #141 on: 05/03/2013 06:48 pm »
What would it cost to day to develop the CXV throw 1st flight? ( not including the launch as the launch cost would be unknown till a launch vehicle was selected )

Same question for the CCDEV2 concept , however assume the use of F9 v.v as the launch vehicle?

I have no idea what it would cost for the original CXV air-launch concept today.  In 2004, we thought the project was under $500M based on an estimate from Scaled for the a/c that was much lower than what the current a/c is rumored to cost (I know of no data on Stratolaunch a/c price but at the SL press conference Allen said that he was prepared to spend ten times what he spent on SS1, which was about $25M.).

I don't recall exactly what our bid for CCDEV2 was, but w/o the LV, I think we were in the $200M range for non-recurring for the spacecraft.
A/C stand for air craft?
So Stratolaunch air craft is could be estimated at about $250M? ( that sound about right based on the price for a 747 )

Did the CCDEV2 OV need to be launch with the OM or could it be launch without it to a space station for crew delivery?

Offline HMXHMX

• Liked: 2211
  • Likes Given: 662
« Reply #142 on: 05/03/2013 11:10 pm »
What would it cost to day to develop the CXV throw 1st flight? ( not including the launch as the launch cost would be unknown till a launch vehicle was selected )

Same question for the CCDEV2 concept , however assume the use of F9 v.v as the launch vehicle?

I have no idea what it would cost for the original CXV air-launch concept today.  In 2004, we thought the project was under $500M based on an estimate from Scaled for the a/c that was much lower than what the current a/c is rumored to cost (I know of no data on Stratolaunch a/c price but at the SL press conference Allen said that he was prepared to spend ten times what he spent on SS1, which was about $25M.).

I don't recall exactly what our bid for CCDEV2 was, but w/o the LV, I think we were in the $200M range for non-recurring for the spacecraft.
A/C stand for air craft?
So Stratolaunch air craft is could be estimated at about $250M? ( that sound about right based on the price for a 747 )

Did the CCDEV2 OV need to be launch with the OM or could it be launch without it to a space station for crew delivery?

a/c is short for aircraft.

The CCDEV2 OV could be launched without the OM (Orbital Module).  But life on orbit would be curtailed and many amenities would go away, like the toilet, galley, etc.  It would be acceptable for quick crew transfers to a station, but not much else.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #143 on: 05/13/2013 01:55 am »
Is there a thread for discussing the earlier proposal, mentioned here

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=24989.msg1050909#msg1050909

which is found here:

http://exploration.nasa.gov/documents/reports/cer_final/tSpace.pdf

Is 15 Mt still considered reasonable for starting ISRU LOX/LH2 production?
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline HMXHMX

« Reply #144 on: 05/13/2013 04:00 am »
Is there a thread for discussing the earlier proposal, mentioned here

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=24989.msg1050909#msg1050909

which is found here:

http://exploration.nasa.gov/documents/reports/cer_final/tSpace.pdf

Is 15 Mt still considered reasonable for starting ISRU LOX/LH2 production?

I don't know if there is a thread for that or not; we can discuss here if you wish, I have no objection.

I wasn't involved in the ISRU work, so I have no idea if the mass is sufficient.  It doesn't sound unreasonable.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #145 on: 05/13/2013 04:17 am »
I don't know if there is a thread for that or not; we can discuss here if you wish, I have no objection.

I asked on the other thread, but I'll repeat here: am I missing how you're handling LH2 boiloff in this presentation? What were the assumptions for that?
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline HMXHMX

« Reply #146 on: 05/13/2013 05:03 am »

I asked on the other thread, but I'll repeat here: am I missing how you're handling LH2 boiloff in this presentation? What were the assumptions for that?

You mean for the CEV used for trans-lunar transport?  CEV would be operating with vapor-pressurized LH2 and LO2, so venting was minimized after the first burn.  Heat leak into the tank simply raised the available pressure.  We also would draw off propellant for power generation, and RSC/OMS. 

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography