Author Topic: Bolden to meet Obama on Wednesday  (Read 74911 times)

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 313
  • Likes Given: 135
Re: Bolden to meet Obama on Wednesday
« Reply #320 on: 01/15/2010 07:23 PM »
If the first expendable version of the Orion is launched in 2014/5 will work then start on making a reusable block 2?  The reusable version containing land landing equipment, replaceable heat shield and return of some the facilities removed to save weight.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 2479
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #321 on: 01/15/2010 08:21 PM »
If the first expendable version of the Orion is launched in 2014/5 will work then start on making a reusable block 2?  The reusable version containing land landing equipment, replaceable heat shield and return of some the facilities removed to save weight.

I know that there will be an enormous push to do that. But it's all going to come down to funding. Congress will have to include monies for continual upgrade of the spacecraft and using those kinds of funds, everything could eventually be put back.
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline TrueBlueWitt

• Space Nut
  • Mars in my lifetime!
  • DeWitt, MI
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #322 on: 01/15/2010 08:47 PM »
It's overkill in the sense that Ares I and Orion were made for the moon (not for servicing the ISS). Commercial crew will be made for LEO only.

The Orion may be overkill for the ISS but the ARES 1 can barely get out of its own way and is absolutely underkill.  Safety features like landing on land were removed because ARES 1 could not lift the additional weight.

Not just Ares 1 issues.. Ares 5 could not get all the mass to the moon and back either.. Hence pushing the very limits of VAB doors with the Ares 5 MAX concept.. and possibly still not fully satisfying requirements.
« Last Edit: 01/15/2010 08:47 PM by TrueBlueWitt »

Offline Integrator

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #323 on: 01/15/2010 09:30 PM »
I believe it would take at least three full years to have a new STS-derived MPS integrated into a modified ET design, and ready for an integrated stage test firing.  Then allow 2 more years for IVGVT and initial test flight, the whole time trajectories and environments analyses are going on in parallel.  And this goal to hot fire test an integrated stage in 3 years would be very strenuous for the existing liquid engine, structural dynamics, loads and manufacturing teams.  Some MPS preliminary design work has already been done, and redirection will throw more resources at the effort, but it simply takes a certain amount of time to work through loads analyses and to manufacture structural components and avionics.

INTEGRATOR
"Daddy, does that rocket carry people?"
"No buddy, just satellites."
"Why not?"
   --- 5 year old son of jjnodice,  21.01.2011

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 10897
  • Likes Given: 325
« Reply #324 on: 01/15/2010 10:02 PM »
Then allow 2 more years for IVGVT

Not required.  Titan IV, Atlas V or Delta IV never had one.  The shuttle data and existing tools are enough for an inline.  The Delta IV heavy is a good example why it is not needed.  Only MSFC workers looking for more work would come up with a requirement.
« Last Edit: 01/15/2010 10:04 PM by Jim »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #325 on: 01/15/2010 10:06 PM »
This thread's off topic. We have better threads for most of what's been talked about here.

Locked.

Tags: