Poll

What do you think will be the decision on Shuttle Extension?

No, end in 2010
10 (5.8%)
Yes, but only to 2011
78 (45.3%)
Yes, to 2012
47 (27.3%)
Yes, to beyond 2012 (2014/15)
30 (17.4%)
Don't know
7 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 172

Author Topic: Poll: Augustine Fallout - Poll 2 - Will the Shuttle Program be extended?  (Read 21597 times)

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
 Mark Matthews, writing on Nov 4, 2009 for the Orlando Sentinel "Write Stuff" blog, posted a piece titled, Posey revives campaign to keep shuttle flying  http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_space_thewritestuff/2009/11/posey-revives-campaign-to-keep-shuttle-flying-.html.

Matthews says U.S. Rep. Bill Posey, R-Rockledge, wrote to congressional appropriators suggesting preserving the option of flying the space shuttle beyond 2011.

“Time is of the essence as with each passing day we further debilitate the chain of production that keeps the finest human-rated heavy lift vehicle on earth flying until a successor to the Shuttle comes online,” wrote Posey in letters dated Monday. [...]

In his letters, Posey also looked to pre-empt safety concerns about more shuttle flights. The team that investigated the Columbia accident said NASA should not fly the shuttle beyond 2010 unless it recertified the aging spacecraft. It is expected to be an expensive undertaking.

“However, the highly skilled men and women who keep the Shuttle flying safely are required to perform such safety certifications each time the Shuttle flies. A full recertification could be readily accomplished by the workforce,” Posey wrote.

So the 2012 (bounding case 1) option still has some support in Congress.  Paying for this would almost certainly extend the duration of the gap, but it would delay the start of the gap.  If you're going to stand for re-election in 2010 and hope to do so again in 2012, that delay might be a big motivation.
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
I'm sure this has been posted/talked about before...
I can't do copy & paste, but trust me, it's worth the short trip.

Check out this site:
www.senate.gov
Go to legislation & records
type in NASA in the keyword search term for legislation

Click on the first bill to show up (#1) which is American Space Access Act [H.R. 1962.IH].

It's a REALLY GOOD read  :)

It's currently at the subcommittee level. It might be amended or dismissed, but it shows that at least they know the issues.
« Last Edit: 11/12/2009 12:21 pm by robertross »

Offline khallow

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 4
I disagree, robertross. It extends the Shuttle (which I oppose) and provides no funding for the extension.
Karl Hallowell

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
I disagree, robertross. It extends the Shuttle (which I oppose) and provides no funding for the extension.

I don't understand what you are disagreeing with. I said it was a good read.

Offline Warloc Alcott

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Affirm, Robertross. Good read indeed. Khallow, it states right at the top of the bill, :

To authorize the Space Shuttle to be flown from 2010 through 2015, and to authorize appropriations for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration for this purpose.
« Last Edit: 11/12/2009 12:20 pm by Warloc Alcott »

Offline Analyst

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 20
Click on the first bill to show up (#1) which is American Space Access Act [H.R. 1962.IH].

It's a REALLY GOOD read  :)

It's currently at the subcommittee level. It might be amended or dismissed, but it shows that at least they know the issues.

1) Is it common in US laws to first have a long list of more or less political justifications (section 2) before coming to the point of action (section 3)?

2) 2015 probably will come first.

Analyst

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 807
  • Likes Given: 40
1) Is it common in US laws to first have a long list of more or less political justifications (section 2) before coming to the point of action (section 3)?

Doncha know?   It's all to do with the "CYA Culture" which we have systematically cultivated at every level of society here in the West.

And we are all responsible for allowing it to prosper and dominate, the way it does.

Ross.
« Last Edit: 11/12/2009 01:42 pm by kraisee »
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran

Certification of what? 

Well for starters,
1. TPS tiles (production line & supplier cancelled, recent)
2. Tires (known issue for a while)

That is not certification.  That is logistics supply chain, all of which are recoverable.  I have no idea what you mean by tires.

here:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=16002.msg371314#msg371314

Well, I said 'fall apart'. That  is not to say it couldn't be put back together, far from it, but the time & expense to do that would be questionable.

Ok, I guess you know best.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: 11/12/2009 01:42 pm by OV-106 »
Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia

here:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=16002.msg371314#msg371314

Well, I said 'fall apart'. That  is not to say it couldn't be put back together, far from it, but the time & expense to do that would be questionable.

Ok, I guess you know best.  Thank you.

Why do I get the feeling I was just snubbed??

What part do you think I am mis-representing? I'm just posting what I have read here. Do you honestly believe that after, say 3 months, NASA can have the shuttle ready to fly at a moment's notice?? If you think that is skeptical, then please weigh-in on an appropriate timeframe.

Of course much of it hinges on the time of invocation of RTF. If they gave the go-ahead tomorrow, I'm sure it would be much different than 6 months from now, or a year from now. This is all fluid based on cancellation of contracts and termination of key positions.

SO far, they seem to be on track to have it all dismantled in a fairly dilagent manner. Not that I can fault them, they are simply doing what was asked of them without providing the necessary direction or funds to keep the capability in a robust manner.

edit for spelling
« Last Edit: 11/12/2009 02:25 pm by robertross »

Offline fredm6463

• Me at nozzle of SRB at KSC Visitor Complex
With all the items on President Obama's plate, like Health Care, Afghanistan, and jobs, when will he make a decision on how NASA should proceed.

The longer it takes Mr. Obama to make a decision, the more shuttle infrastructure will be lost and Ares I will continue to proceed as if nothing has changed from the original plan.

This obviously will be money spent that may not have been spent on a particular item if Mr. Obama makes a decision sooner than later.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
With all the items on President Obama's plate, like Health Care, Afghanistan, and jobs, when will he make a decision on how NASA should proceed.

The longer it takes Mr. Obama to make a decision, the more shuttle infrastructure will be lost and Ares I will continue to proceed as if nothing has changed from the original plan.

This obviously will be money spent that may not have been spent on a particular item if Mr. Obama makes a decision sooner than later.

One look at the disaster in New Orleans shows that it really doesn't matter...in the government, all things are handled in 'due process'.

If it costs twice as much to get shuttle back after a certain point, it really doesn't seem to matter to government; they'll just de-fund something else if they need to.

Offline C5C6

• Regular
  • Córdoba - Argentina
    • programaespacial.com
I just wanted to ask. All augustine scenarios see the shuttle retiring in 2011, is 2010 still a possibility??

Offline Analyst

• Likes Given: 20
There is one scenario with 2015. 2010 is still a possibility, and judging by the 2009 flight rate (5), two missions early next year, one in May and the other two in the summer, it looks very possible too. With some margin.

Analyst

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography