Author Topic: H-IIB launched manned spacecraft  (Read 24087 times)

Offline johnxx9

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 1
H-IIB launched manned spacecraft
« on: 10/11/2009 10:05 am »
Saw that, there was no thread for this topic. So, I am shamelessly lifting pics and info posted on flightglobal by Rob Coppinger and novosti-kosmonavtiki by the user 'frigate'  ;D ;D

The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) 's rocket and spacecraft development establishment, the Tsukuba Space Center,
has produced a concept for a four-crew capsule that is part of a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries H-IIB rocket launched spacecraft has produced a concept for a four-crew capsule that is part of a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries H-IIB rocket launched spacecraft
consisting of four modules consisting of four modules
- the Launch Escape System (LES), - The Launch Escape System (LES),
- Manned Re-entry Module (MRM), - Manned Re-entry Module (MRM),
- Orbital Habitation Module (OHM), - Orbital Habitation Module (OHM),
- Propulsion Module (PM). - Propulsion Module (PM).

Designed for LEO missions the JAXA's 2025 vision includes a Japanese human spaceflight capability and the concept work has Designed for LEO missions the JAXA's 2025 vision includes a Japanese human spaceflight capability and the concept work has
been drawn up in preparation for possible formal design cycles been drawn up in preparation for possible formal design cycles

The spacecraft is a 16,800kg (36,960lb), 4m (13.1ft)-diameter vehicle that would use systems from Japan's International Space The spacecraft is a 16,800 kg (36,960 lb), 4m (13.1ft)-diameter vehicle that would use systems from Japan's International Space
Station resupply ship H-IIB Transfer Vehicle (HTV) for its 3,800kg (fuelled) PM and 5,000kg OHM. Station resupply ship H-IIB Transfer Vehicle (HTV) for its 3,800 kg (fuelled) PM and 5,000 kg OHM. Examples include the engines, the Environmental Control and Life Support Systems (ECLSS), electrical power network and avionics. the Environmental Control and Life Support Systems (ECLSS), electrical power network and avionics. However JAXA expects to have to find some mass savings in the HTV systems. have to find some mass savings in the HTV systems.

The OHM would also provide life support for the 5,000 kg MRM during periods on-orbit. This would enable the MRM ECLSS to be smaller. be smaller. JAXA flight tested its Orbital Re-Entry Flight Experiment in 1994 and this would aid the MRM's development. JAXA flight tested its Orbital Re-Entry Flight Experiment in 1994 and this would aid the MRM's development. No final decision has been taken on the MRM's shape but the agency wants to employ controlled lift for a lift/drag ratio of 0.4 final decision has been taken on the MRM's shape but the agency wants to employ controlled lift for a lift / drag ratio of 0.4

The LES is 3,000 kg making up the final 16,800 kg figure. Like Soyuz JAXA's spacecraft will abort with its habitation module Like Soyuz JAXA's spacecraft will abort with its habitation module
attached meaning it will probably require the four folding drag plates that are used to control the aborting Soyuz's attached meaning it will probably require the four folding drag plates that are used to control the aborting Soyuz's
aerodynamics before its parachute controlled descent starts. aerodynamics before its parachute controlled descent starts.

In an odd change to the norm JAXA wants, understandably, to have its MRM in the normal launch orientation but then on In an odd change to the norm JAXA wants, understandably, to have its MRM in the normal launch orientation but then on orbit to use a mechanical guidance "rail and wheel system" to move the RM forwards, round and back so it can 'dock' orbit to use a mechanical guidance "rail and wheel system" to move the RM forwards, round and back so it can 'dock'
with its OHM. with its OHM.

JAXA envisages four demonstration flights, two unmanned and two manned. The first demonstrates the MRM's re-entry The first demonstrates the MRM's re-entry
performance, the second the LES, and the operational H-IIA rocket could be used for these. performance, the second the LES, and the operational H-IIA rocket could be used for these. The third is a manned on-orbit The third is a manned on-orbit
demonstration and the fourth is a full mission and both would need the H-IIB. demonstration and the fourth is a full mission and both would need the H-IIB.

The LEO mission would involve two or three days to reach the space station and then an on-orbit capability of one to two The LEO mission would involve two or three days to reach the space station and then an on-orbit capability of one to two further weeks. further weeks. JAXA rules out a lunar mission as it's beyond the H-IIB's "launch capability". JAXA rules out a lunar mission as it's beyond the H-IIB's "launch capability". What no double launch mission? What no double launch mission?

« Last Edit: 10/11/2009 10:06 am by johnxx9 »

Offline johnxx9

Re: H-IIB launched manned spacecraft
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2009 10:09 am »

Technical Relations between HTV and Manned Vehicle

Offline johnxx9

« Reply #2 on: 10/11/2009 10:15 am »

Fig. 10. 10. Shows differences in Soyuz, Apollo, and JAXA's concept for module configuration. Shows differences in Soyuz, Apollo, and JAXA's concept for module configuration. Soyuz is simple for Soyuz type is simple for operation but it is not selected in this paper mainly because of the weight penalty for Launch Escape System (LES has to
kick Habitant Module for Re-entry Module separation). Also, Apollo type is better to enhance functions in Habitant Module such as longer on-orbit staying time capability. such as longer on-orbit staying time capability. Two points major difference between Apollo and JAXA's concept in this paper are as follows.
Mechanical guidance is used for orbiting connection of Re-entry Module and Habitant Module. Mechanical guidance is used for orbiting connection of Re-entry Module and Habitant Module.
Orbital Habitant Module has service functions such as electrical power supply, crew support, rendezvous/docking Orbital Habitant Module has service functions such as electrical power supply, crew support, rendezvous / docking

JAXA developed " Rail & Wheel System " for HTV Exposed pallet in un-pressurized carrier and the experience JAXA developed "Rail & Wheel System" for HTV Exposed pallet in un-pressurized carrier and the experience could be usable for mechanical guidance design for module connection on orbit. could be usable for mechanical guidance design for module connection on orbit. Service functions were installed into Service functions were installed into Orbital Habitant Module with considering the operation scenario to re-use Orbital Habitant Module on-orbit as one Orbital Habitant Module with considering the operation scenario to re-use Orbital Habitant Module on-orbit as one
module of space station. module of space station.

[Demonstration-1]
- Un-manned Flight - Un-manned Flight
- Demonstrations for Re-entry Vehicle, Recovery in Sea - Demonstrations for Re-entry Vehicle, Recovery in Sea
- Total Weight: 6 ton + Margin - Total Weight: 6 ton + Margin
i. Re-entry Capsule: 5 ton Re-entry Capsule: 5 ton
ii. De-orbit Module: 1 ton De-orbit Module: 1 ton

[Demonstration-2] [Demonstration-2]
- Un-manned, but Manned Flight Path - Un-manned, but Manned Flight Path
- Demonstrations for Launch Escape/Abort System - Demonstrations for Launch Escape / Abort System
- Total Weight: 9 ton + Margin - Total Weight: 9 ton + Margin
i.  Re-entry Capsule: 5 ton Re-entry Capsule: 5 ton
ii. De-orbit Module: 1 ton De-orbit Module: 1 ton
iii. Launch Escape System: 3 ton Launch Escape System: 3 ton
- Flight Path and Abort Flight (Re-entry Module L/D=0.4) - Flight Path and Abort Flight (Re-entry Module L / D = 0.4)

[Demonstration-3] [Demonstration-3]
- Manned Flight - Manned Flight
- Demonstrations for On-orbit Flight - Demonstrations for On-orbit Flight
- Total Weight: 14.3 ton + Margin - Total Weight: 14.3 ton + Margin
ii.  Propulsion Module: 1.3 ton Propulsion Module: 1.3 ton
iii. Propellant (off-loaded): 1 ton Propellant (off-loaded): 1 ton
iv. Launch Escape System: 3 ton Launch Escape System: 3 ton
v. Orbital Habitant Module (subset): 4 ton Orbital Habitant Module (subset): 4 ton

[Demonstration-4] [Demonstration-4]
- Manned Flight - Manned Flight
- Demonstrations for all Mission - Demonstrations for all Mission
- Total Weight: 16.8ton + Margin - Total Weight: 16.8ton + Margin
ii. Propulsion Module: 1.3 ton Propulsion Module: 1.3 ton
iii. Propellant (full-loaded): 2.5 ton Propellant (full-loaded): 2.5 ton
iv. Launch Escape System: 3 ton Launch Escape System: 3 ton
v. Orbital Habitant Module: 5 ton Orbital Habitant Module: 5 ton

Offline johnxx9

« Reply #3 on: 10/11/2009 10:18 am »
Launch Escape System (LES):

Offline fregate

• Space Association of Australia
  • Melbourne Australia
  • Liked: 144
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #4 on: 11/11/2009 09:23 am »
Saw that, there was no thread for this topic. So, I am shamelessly lifting pics and info posted on flightglobal by Rob Coppinger and novosti-kosmonavtiki by the user 'frigate' 
Dear johnxx9, thank you for reference. 'frigate' is my nickname on NK forum.
« Last Edit: 11/11/2009 09:27 am by fregate »
"Selene, the Moon. Selenginsk, an old town in Siberia: moon-rocket  town" Vladimir Nabokov

Offline Mark Dave

• Ruined
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: 01/29/2011 01:04 pm »
This looks interesting.

Offline JNobles

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #6 on: 01/30/2011 06:36 am »
I wonder if they have decided that they must do it all themselves?

They could take the Chinese approach and license the tech from someone else.  I wonder how much SpaceX or Boeing might charge to fix them up with all they'd need to build a modified Dragon or CST-100?  It might come out cheaper and faster in the long run.
-- Why do I support Commercial Space?  I want the most Rogers for my Buck.  Period. --

Offline hop

• Liked: 553
  • Likes Given: 891
« Reply #7 on: 01/30/2011 06:50 am »
They could take the Chinese approach and license the tech from someone else.  I wonder how much SpaceX or Boeing might charge to fix them up with all they'd need to build a modified Dragon or CST-100?  It might come out cheaper and faster in the long run.
Just getting it through ITAR would probably be more work than designing their own vehicle from scratch ;)

Offline JNobles

« Reply #8 on: 01/30/2011 06:58 am »
Oh dear, I'd forgotten about ITAR.  Or rather, I hadn't considered that Japan would be on the list of places we couldn't do that kind of transfer with.  I thought we were best buds.   ::)

-- Why do I support Commercial Space?  I want the most Rogers for my Buck.  Period. --

Offline Mark Dave

• Ruined
« Reply #9 on: 01/30/2011 08:45 pm »
I wonder what an appropriate name for this vehicle would be?

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #10 on: 01/30/2011 08:50 pm »
I wonder what an appropriate name for this vehicle would be?

"Beyond HOPE"?

Online Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #11 on: 01/30/2011 11:08 pm »
Oh dear, I'd forgotten about ITAR.  Or rather, I hadn't considered that Japan would be on the list of places we couldn't do that kind of transfer with.  I thought we were best buds.   ::)

ITAR doesn't make those kinds of distinctions, even with Canada and the UK. One more reason it needs to be reformed, badly.
JRF

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #12 on: 01/31/2011 12:08 am »
Does Japan even need its own manned spacecraft at this point?  Wouldn't it just be cheaper to ride with the Russians or perhaps commercial?

Offline JNobles

« Reply #13 on: 01/31/2011 12:17 am »
"Does Japan even need its own manned spacecraft at this point?  Wouldn't it just be cheaper to ride with the Russians or perhaps commercial?"

It may be political.  China has their own manned launch capability so maybe Japan feels they should show that they can do it as well.

Plus with American manned launches stopping for a while JAXA might have decided not to depend on the U.S.A. for access to the station.

Offline tigerade

• Low Earth Orbit
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #14 on: 01/31/2011 12:22 am »
"Does Japan even need its own manned spacecraft at this point?  Wouldn't it just be cheaper to ride with the Russians or perhaps commercial?"

It may be political.  China has their own manned launch capability so maybe Japan feels they should show that they can do it as well.

Ah, yes, I forgot that there is a degree of rivalry between Japan and China.  I wonder if there is still hard feelings over WWII.  Probably so, but that's discussion for another topic.

Anyway, it would certainly be neat to have an Asian space race.  :)

Offline Mark Dave

• Ruined
« Reply #15 on: 01/31/2011 02:55 pm »
There will be one someday based on documentaries that have been on tv. China being the focal point on what everyone is worrying over.

Hmm, for a name on the new manned vehicle, what about something showing amazement? All other country's manned spacecraft had names like that that made people feel awe over it.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography