Author Topic: LIVE: STS-127 Flight Day 11 and 12 - Off Duty and JLE Transfer to PLB  (Read 51995 times)

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1601
  • Likes Given: 50
IIRC the Z1 connector repatching has been attempted twice before but failed because connectors couldn't be unplugged due to too little clearance and the fact that they appeared to be stuck.  What are NASA doing this time to improve their chances of success?

This time they appear to be planning to cut several tie-wraps (as required) in order to give a bit more slack on the cables.  Presumably this will give a bit more wiggle room to help with demate/mate of the connectors.

Online Chris Bergin

Next event 90 minutes away.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline dickgold

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Why can't they depoly the rest PAS's on a stage eva if there
is no time to do it on eva 5?

Offline Analyst

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 20
Timeline issues. They don't need them until STS-133/134.

Analyst

Online Chris Bergin

I think this is the one where reporters at JSC take it in turns to ask questions.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

Commander Polansky outlines the mission achievements thus far to Bill Harwood.

"All in all I think it's an extreemly successful mission, despite a few curve balls.

"We're going to be very deliberate with the final EVA."

Online Chris Bergin

German reporter asks about food and what they miss from Earth.

Robert P asks about if they've taken a look at the moon (notes the Apollo 11 relevance).

Eric B asks about what it's like to work in space/conduct a spacewalk.

Gini S asks about looking forward to the flyaround.

A NC reporter asks a question relevant to Apollo 11.

All pretty obvious set standard responses so far.

Online Chris Bergin

Japanese media asking questions. There's an English translation later apparently. Sounds like there's a lot of them at JSC!
« Last Edit: 07/26/2009 06:43 pm by Chris Bergin »

Online Chris Bergin

At least 10 questions from Japanese media.

Back to US media until a Ku drop out.

Gini S asks Julie about her last flight. Julie hopes she'll fly again and work on Station.

NC reporter: What movie would you describe as best suited as STS-127. Commander Polansky doesn't really know.

Bill H asks about CDRA. Ku drops out.

Online Chris Bergin

Ku back. Bill never got his question answered.

KSC media now. Marcia goes right after Chris Cassidy, no shock after her "what is it with that guy" question, asking about speeding out of the airlock etc.

"Yes, I'm taking a some teasing over it," laughs it off.

Asks about the space tourist.

Irene K asks about experience.

"I look forward 80 feet through several modules, a European module to my left, a Japanese module to my right, a US space shuttle behind me."

Online Chris Bergin

Question for Bob Thirsk about relying on other partners to get lifts to Station, has an angle on the US gap. Bob notes it's a good stragedy for Canada.

Asks about the ET intertank liberation.

Commander Polansky gives the reporter a 101 in inspection techniques, ha!

Online Chris Bergin

Canadian media.

Asking Julie about how she's preparing mentally and physically for the return to Earth.

"We're going to start drinking a lot of salty liquids" (laughter). Lots of excerising involved.

French lanuage questions - my French isn't good enough to make out that Q&A.

Another asks about if Julie wants to stay up longer. Julie positioning herself for wanting to get to be part of an upcoming expedition, would like to stay. Not the right time now as she has a young child.

What sounds like a food related question in French.

Question about what has changed since the last time they looked down at Earth. "Impressed by the thinness of the atmopshere." Feels the glaciers are showing signs of melting more than before over British Columbia, but might be his perception.

Most of the questions are aimed at Julie from the Canadian media.

Bob Thirsk gets one about Apollo 11, asking if they should be looking to explore places like Mars. He notes exploration is in Canadian blood as it was found by explorers.

Lots of Canadian media involved, which is good per sign of media interest.

Event over.

Online Chris Bergin

Great view of Station, Endeavour, Dextre standing guard etc.

Offline bobthemonkey

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 26
IIRC the Z1 connector repatching has been attempted twice before but failed because connectors couldn't be unplugged due to too little clearance and the fact that they appeared to be stuck.  What are NASA doing this time to improve their chances of success?

Also I thought that robotics hadn't finished as claimed because surely the OBSS has to be handed off back to the SRMS?

They are approaching the panel from the other side. (Z- as opposed to Z+ IIRC)

Offline John44

• Elite Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • space-multimedia
  • Liked: 258

Online robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692

Lots of Canadian media involved, which is good per sign of media interest.

Event over.

Thanks for the crew conference coverage Chris. I'll have to watch it later to get the French questions sorted. I wish Bob Thirsk got more questions, but everyone now considers Julie the 'golden girl', whereas it was Marc Garneau before as our 'golden boy' (being our first astronaut).

But from the sounds ot it from the mission, Julie's done extremely well handling the robotics portions.

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
Did I understand correctly that:

Neither CDRA, or Russian CO2 removal are capable by themselves of dealing with continuous 6  people on Station. (ISS needs both systems).

If one of these systems failed completely, the other system could only remove the CO2 for about three weeks before levels would get too high.

(When another CDRA is sent up, then there will be redundancy)
Please correct me if that is not what was explained.

CDRA can handle ~ 5 people, Vozduhk can barely handle 3.

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada

Thanks for the crew conference coverage Chris. I'll have to watch it later to get the French questions sorted. I wish Bob Thirsk got more questions, but everyone now considers Julie the 'golden girl', whereas it was Marc Garneau before as our 'golden boy' (being our first astronaut).

But from the sounds ot it from the mission, Julie's done extremely well handling the robotics portions.

golden girl is fine by me... I think Bob is doing a great job but there is no beating this...
« Last Edit: 07/27/2009 02:41 am by stockman »
One Percent for Space!!!

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada
nice view of both main Arms and Dextre
« Last Edit: 07/27/2009 02:46 am by stockman »
One Percent for Space!!!

Offline John44

• Elite Veteran