Author Topic: STS-126: Viewing (Going to the Launch etc.)  (Read 124419 times)

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: STS-126: Viewing (Going to the Launch etc.)
« Reply #40 on: 10/09/2008 02:26 am »
Good I will do so tomorrow ;D
NSF L2=The Ultimate Space Passport

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #41 on: 10/11/2008 06:27 pm »
http://www.kennedyspacecentertours.net/tours/tourDetail.cfm?tour_id=40

Anyone here know about this tour offered by the Kennedy Space Center?

Was wondering where exactly in Cocoa Beach they'd be viewing the launch from?
Thanks.

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #42 on: 10/11/2008 08:52 pm »
Something doesn't sound right there...Cocoa Beach is south, not north, of KSC.  Cocoa isn't really a great place for a shuttle launch either, it's pretty far away compared to Titusville.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #43 on: 10/12/2008 08:59 am »
I have not done the LTT option in the past so if that works out for me I would have a few questions. I checked the KSC visitor center webpage and they had some info. I was surprised to read you are given an assigned time to arrive at the visitor center on launch day. Anyone know how far in advance you have to be there? I am trying to decide when to head down to the space coast. I figure to be safe I should go the day before launch but with liftoff slated for 7:55 pm I thought I could take a chance and depart early on the morning of the 14th. Anyone know how long before liftoff you are expected to be at the visitor center? Do they assign you to a particular bus? If not I would probably prefer to be on one of the last ones to leave. Probably more comfortable at the VC than being outside at the causeway with no place to sit down. ;) If anyone can fill me in with some info I appreciate it.

Offline mceddiemac

• North Carolina
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #44 on: 10/12/2008 01:39 pm »
Anyone know how far in advance you have to be there?
Hey Tom, you can arrive as early as you want or at least at the time the VC opens, this is what I have done in the past. The card will say "Must Arrive By Or Before.." the noted time, not necessarily a "scheduled" time.  What I have experienced is that at some point during the day (launch time dependent) they set up security check points along the roads entering the the space center and only allow cars with the place cards through to the VC and then, at a later point closer to the "arrive before" time they stop all general public traffic into the center.
Do they assign you to a particular bus?
No. Those going out to the causeway with LTT or outside tours LTT, get on line to wait on the buses to take you out to the causeway.  I think the causeway buses start moving after the crew arrives at the pad and security gives the all clear for vehicle movement at the center. I'm thinking this is approx 3.5 hours prior to launch.  PM me or post a reply if you have more questions.

« Last Edit: 10/12/2008 09:06 pm by mceddiemac »

Offline mceddiemac

• North Carolina
« Reply #45 on: 10/12/2008 01:52 pm »
If anyone can fill me in with some info I appreciate it.
This may help others. A fellow I met during the STS-123 launch put together a nice trip report on experiencing a shuttle launch. This may answer yours and others questions. Also, he was able to get an inside tour of the center. Check it out.
http://lazytoad.com/travel/florida/sts123/index.html

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #46 on: 10/13/2008 08:44 pm »
If anyone can fill me in with some info I appreciate it.
This may help others. A fellow I met during the STS-123 launch put together a nice trip report on experiencing a shuttle launch. This may answer yours and others questions. Also, he was able to get an inside tour of the center. Check it out.
http://lazytoad.com/travel/florida/sts123/index.html

Thanks for the info. Your friend's report shed some light on some things. Sorry to see though that you must stand in line for so long. I hate that since I am so nervous prior to these launches. The waiting is tough. I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that way though.

Any idea for a 7:55 pm launch about what time they will be closing the gates for arrival? I am guessing it is fairly early so it's going to be a very long day. I'd better hope that congressional pass comes through. ;)

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
« Reply #47 on: 10/13/2008 10:34 pm »
Knowing how I didn't get tickets to the launch which should I do Titusville or view from the VC. I'm leaning towards the Titusville because it costs nothing. If I do view from Titusville where should I go. :)
Thanks ;)

Offline mceddiemac

• North Carolina
« Reply #48 on: 10/13/2008 10:35 pm »
Any idea for a 7:55 pm launch about what time they will be closing the gates for arrival?
I was checking my old set of ticket packages and the "arrive by" times have varied between 6 to 7-1/2 hours prior to launch. So if the launch is scheduled for 7:55PM then the arrive by times would be around 12:30PM, give or take a half hour. That's a just guess from previous launches and can be used as a guideline but not anything anyone should make firm plans around.

Offline trebloc

• Go for launch!
  • Ireland
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #49 on: 10/16/2008 07:39 am »
I have a ticket to view from the visitors center. My question is can you walk to the causeway or is this not allowed. If not would I be better off not using ticket and view from Titusville so I can see the "whole" launch from pad?
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
Carl Sagan,

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #50 on: 10/16/2008 10:44 am »
I have a ticket to view from the visitors center. My question is can you walk to the causeway or is this not allowed. If not would I be better off not using ticket and view from Titusville so I can see the "whole" launch from pad?

not allowed

Offline trebloc

• Go for launch!
  • Ireland
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #51 on: 10/16/2008 11:29 am »

not allowed

Thanks, I guessed that but just thought it might be possible!
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
Carl Sagan,

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #52 on: 10/16/2008 11:38 am »

not allowed

Thanks, I guessed that but just thought it might be possible!

Also  about 3 miles

Offline beef5stew

« Reply #53 on: 10/16/2008 03:17 pm »
The way I went about congressional tickets was through my congressman.  I sent him an e-mail back in March for STS-126 (then it was in October).  He assigned one of his aides to help me and sent me her contact info.  I called her and she called Nasa's Legislative affairs on my behalf and had me added to the request list.

I had also contacted my senator who passed me off on one of his lackeys.  He told me that he called NASA and was told the waitlist was full.  I asked him who he talked do, and he didn't know.  I asked him to forward me the e-mail, he said he didn't have it.  I told him that I know for a fact that there is a waiting list, and I though he was full of bull. 

I gave him two choices a) go back, do some research, and contact NASA; or b) I go back to the senator and ask them to assign someone compentent.   He chose option 'a'.

You will need to contact your congressional representative at least 6 months before the launch...and even then, you won't know if you are on the list until about 3 weeks before the launch.  I suggest you actually talk to someone, and ask them to cc: you on the e-mail to Nasa.  That worked pretty well for me.

And yes, I was scheduled for STS-125, when it got moved to Feb.  I was contacted at the beginning of October and given the option to view 126.  I accepted.

Beef

Offline bkellysky

• Selfie in Surveyor's camera mirror at NASM
  • Ardsley, New York, USA
    • Heads UP!
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 249
« Reply #54 on: 10/17/2008 09:08 pm »
I just found out that NASA told my Congressional Representative that there are no more Congressional tickets for STS-126.  I had asked for STS-125 and when I found out in the second week of September that Congressional tickets were closed out for STS-125, I asked for the next flight, STS-126, as the NASA contact suggested.  Perhaps many STS-125 Congressional ticker holders were switched to STS-126, as someone mentioned earlier in this (or the 125 thread).

How do I ask for tickets to the next flight when there is so much uncertainty about which flight is next?  (Rhetorical  question.)  Sigh.

Maybe I'll try the two minute beat-the-clock drill to purchase tickets when they come out for the next launch.

all the best,
bob

Offline bkellysky

• Selfie in Surveyor's camera mirror at NASM
  • Ardsley, New York, USA
    • Heads UP!
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 249
« Reply #55 on: 10/17/2008 09:11 pm »
Of course, If STS-126 launches at 7:44pm on the 14th I should get a view of the post-SRB boost part of the flight from here.

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
« Reply #56 on: 10/18/2008 03:35 am »

Maybe I'll try the two minute beat-the-clock drill to purchase tickets when they come out for the next launch.

Good luck with that ;)

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
« Reply #57 on: 10/18/2008 12:17 pm »
I just found out that NASA told my Congressional Representative that there are no more Congressional tickets for STS-126.  I had asked for STS-125 and when I found out in the second week of September that Congressional tickets were closed out for STS-125, I asked for the next flight, STS-126, as the NASA contact suggested.  Perhaps many STS-125 Congressional ticker holders were switched to STS-126, as someone mentioned earlier in this (or the 125 thread).

How do I ask for tickets to the next flight when there is so much uncertainty about which flight is next?  (Rhetorical  question.)  Sigh.

all the best,
bob

I got the same message yesterday.  :( I had luck going this route a couple of times now this is twice it has not worked. What surprised me was the senator's assistant emailed me at work. I do not recall ever giving her my work email address. Not sure how she got it but that feels a bit big brotherish.  ;) Signs of things to come perhaps. But I won't get into politics now....

I'm glad I have the KSC launch ticket as an alternative. But I really am not looking forward to the hours of waiting and long lines, not to mention traffic. If I have to be at the complex 7 hours before launch I will feel like a prisoner.  :-\ OK that's overdoing it but it is going to be difficult passing the time for all those hours. Maybe I should have gone for the astronaut lunch ticket too. I hope maybe I can meet some other NSF people there while we wait.

Offline chezbippy12

« Reply #58 on: 10/20/2008 02:22 pm »
Can anyone please advise on good lodgin for this trip? I am looking to stay in either a nice condo on the ocean or hotel on the ocean. Can anyone recommend a nice place? Thanks

-Jason

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #59 on: 10/23/2008 03:27 pm »
Hello,

I do not know if this is the right place to ask, but since I'll be in Florida for about 3 weeks in November, I think I need a car, so I have to rent one. Does any of you have information what I need, what kind of insurence etc. and what is the best car rental company... ( I do not live in the USA...)
Jacques :-)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography