Author Topic: New NASA website  (Read 17297 times)

Online William Graham

• Liked: 198
  • Likes Given: 86
Re: New NASA website
« Reply #40 on: 12/01/2007 09:37 AM »
The new website seems to look quite good. My only criticisms are that it takes about twice as long to load as the old one, and they seem to have accidentally reverted to an out-of-date version of their launch schedule (now renamed "mission schedule").

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 1676
  • Likes Given: 866
« Reply #41 on: 12/01/2007 11:26 AM »
ShuttleDiscovery - 1/12/2007  5:19 AM

I'd say update to the latest version, I have 2.0.0.10...   :)
Already out of date:
http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0.0.11/releasenotes/

Offline SimonShuttle

• Elite Veteran
  • Manchester, England
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #42 on: 12/01/2007 11:45 AM »
Netscape too!

"There's a problem with your browser.

This site offers visitors an exciting, engaging interactive experience that takes advantage of the capabilities available through the most commonly used Web browsers. If you're seeing this message, you may be using a web browser that has since been updated and may want to consider obtaining the latest version.

Find out how to obtain updated Web browsers "

Offline tommy

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: New NASA website
« Reply #43 on: 12/01/2007 11:56 AM »
Quizes have a bug.

If you answer the question incorrectly, any attempt to then go back or refresh to try again, with the correct answer gets,

Test Your Knowledge.
 Incorrect
Columbus will serve as an orbiting research lab for the European Space Agency.

Offline Becker67

• Likes Given: 7
« Reply #44 on: 12/01/2007 12:02 PM »
i like it .... pleasant surprise

Offline tommy

« Reply #45 on: 12/01/2007 12:04 PM »
The L2 style cloud is a good idea, but the problem with that is it takes you to the terrible search page that was there before, which is really not helpful.

Looks nice, takes forever to load, but the prize will go to if they improve the content from the dross they've been pushing on there for years.

Offline joncz

• Veteran
  • Atlanta, Georgia
  • Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 148
« Reply #46 on: 12/01/2007 12:30 PM »
My number one complaint is that they've gone to more Javascript links.  I always found it annoying that the image links in the multimedia gallery were javascript window pops - prevented me from opening the image in a new tab.

« Reply #47 on: 12/01/2007 10:09 PM »
The only complaint I have is that the website takes about a little bit longer to load up than the old one.  Overall looks great, and is better than the old site. It seems that things are a lot quicker to find than the old site.  I hope that the site will stay updated better than the old site was.

Offline Suzy

• Reality disappoints me
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Portal
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #48 on: 12/02/2007 12:39 AM »

Ooh, snazzy! :)

Good points:

• Design-wise, it looks very nice and contemporary; dark and moody with fashionable gradients.
  • The clunky old-fashioned table layouts have been dumped at long last!

Not-so-good points:

• Javascript is required to be able to view the site properly! Not good for accessibility – Javascript and Flash should be accessories to a site, not depended upon for a site to function.
  • Takes some time to load; using “View Page Source” there is a lot of wierd “stuff” in the code, perhaps generated by whatever site template is used?
  • It fails validation.

Offline iphitus

• Australia
« Reply #49 on: 12/02/2007 10:13 AM »
Looks better than the old one. But it's a tad overdone and not as professional. I'd prefer it with slightly less images and animation (155 images on the missions page alone)

Runs miserably on my laptop too which is only 3 years old. I'm not fond of the dependence on rollovers when for most people, habit is to click.

Offline kimmern123

• Veteran
  • Norway
« Reply #50 on: 12/02/2007 11:43 AM »
I like the new site. Much easier to find the things I'm looking for. The layout is also very nice, but it takes a tad longer to load. Not a problem of course and I look forward to see the new capabilities of the new site.

Offline lcs

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #51 on: 12/02/2007 05:23 PM »
The NASA TV plug-in produces a black screen on my laptop...audio but no video.  I have Firefox 2.0.0.11 and ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 with 1920x1200 screen.  Not a good start.

Offline Suzy

• Reality disappoints me
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Portal
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #52 on: 12/02/2007 06:46 PM »
Takes about 40 seconds (on broadband) before the site displays!  :o (NASA TV displaying OK for me - Firefox 2.0.0.11)

Offline lcs

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #53 on: 12/04/2007 03:05 PM »
Found the solution to blank video.   Clear the "Use video mixing renderer" checkbox on the Windows Media Player advanced options.  Apparently this is a problem with recent versions of WMP displaying MPEG 1 video streams.

Tags: