Author Topic: Blue Origin Update and Discussion Thread  (Read 677827 times)

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 1373
  • Likes Given: 530
Re: Blue Origin Update and Discussion Thread
« Reply #1960 on: 03/15/2017 06:49 AM »
The concern on the tourism front might be - does suborbital not develop because it gets undercut by orbital? Orbital undercut by lunar? That perhaps some of these businesses don't go to fruition but instead get cannibalized by others.

No I don't think so. Currently there are two orders of magnitude difference in price between suborbital and orbital and likely another order of magnitude again for lunar. Prices may drop but I expect order of magnitude differences to remain for many years to come. So they are very different market segments.

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1961 on: 03/15/2017 12:56 PM »
Blue Origin aiming for first people flights within a year:

http://www.space.com/36074-blue-origin-crewed-flights-next-year.html

We're trying to get to our first human flights within the next year. That's a laser focus for the team right now

Offline rsdavis9

« Reply #1962 on: 03/15/2017 03:19 PM »
I tend to agree with the above post that they do have a narrowing window for suborbital tourist hops. If NA or ITS with full recovery get off the ground orbital flight is going to get cheap fast. So what is that 4-8 years?
I am right in remembering NG is only first stage reuse?
bob

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 2115
  • Likes Given: 1209
« Reply #1963 on: 03/15/2017 03:29 PM »
Blue Origin aiming for first people flights within a year:

http://www.space.com/36074-blue-origin-crewed-flights-next-year.html

We're trying to get to our first human flights within the next year. That's a laser focus for the team right now

Then we aren't they flying NS more? Surely they need to build up a pretty decent flight history before they start selling tickets?

Offline launchwatcher

• Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #1964 on: 03/15/2017 03:37 PM »
Offshore oil production platforms are assembled in two major components. Once the jacket is in position, a crane is used to put the deck in place. These things are far more massive than an empty first stage.

The larger the ship, the more stable it would be. However, if you have to wait around for calm seas, it would probably be better just to use one ship for landing and transporting back to port.
There are (human-rated!) actively stabilized platforms available (developed for North Sea offshore oil/gas/wind installations) that can compensate for ship-to-ship relative motion.   

There are bigger versions of this sort of system available for cranes.   Won't allow operation in all sea conditions but it could significantly expand what counts as "calm enough".    Of course it's unclear whether this would actually lead to any cost savings.   

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #1965 on: 03/15/2017 04:41 PM »
I tend to agree with the above post that they do have a narrowing window for suborbital tourist hops. If NA or ITS with full recovery get off the ground orbital flight is going to get cheap fast. So what is that 4-8 years?
The technology that makes orbital flights <$1M will make suborbital <$50k. Price difference will always be there.

Offline rsdavis9

« Reply #1966 on: 03/15/2017 05:18 PM »
The technology that makes orbital flights <$1M will make suborbital <$50k. Price difference will always be there.

Yea but being a spacenut I don't think I would spring for the suborbital. What 5 minutes of weightlessness versus days or weeks.
bob

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1967 on: 03/15/2017 06:13 PM »
A lot more people can afford suborbital who can't afford orbital. Ok so you might not think a brief orbital flight is worth it, but my guess is that there will be a lot of other people who do.

Online Navier–Stokes

• Liked: 145
  • Likes Given: 713
« Reply #1968 on: 03/20/2017 06:28 PM »
Relevant quote from Chris Gebhardt's latest article:
“Pad 36 is being operated by Blue Origin,” notes Brig. Gen. Monteith. “They have started horizontal construction.  We hope they’ll be starting vertical construction later this year.

It might be time to start a pad 36 thread to track the construction as it progresses.
« Last Edit: 03/20/2017 06:29 PM by Navier–Stokes »

Offline 2552

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 464
« Reply #1969 on: 03/22/2017 07:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/RSgroshn/status/844596259776278529

Slide from Blue Origin presentation at SM2017 (original resolution), mentions New Glenn will have "initially expendable upper stages." Seems Blue plans to make New Glenn fully reusable at some point.

Original post on /r/BlueOrigin.

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 379
  • Likes Given: 326
« Reply #1970 on: 03/22/2017 08:05 PM »

Slide from Blue Origin presentation at SM2017 (original resolution), mentions New Glenn will have "initially expendable upper stages." Seems Blue plans to make New Glenn fully reusable at some point.

The size of the first stage, combined with the fact they plan to build a bigger one some day, has led me to believe since the announcement of New Glenn that an reusable upper stage/fairing was in the works.

Matthew

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 3600
  • Likes Given: 740
« Reply #1971 on: 03/23/2017 02:47 AM »

The size of the first stage, combined with the fact they plan to build a bigger one some day, has led me to believe since the announcement of New Glenn that an reusable upper stage/fairing was in the works.

Matthew

Agreed.  For a new rocket, it shouldn't cost more to make it bigger, and have margin for full re-use - which is what they've done. 
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online Navier–Stokes

• Liked: 145
  • Likes Given: 713
« Reply #1972 on: 03/29/2017 01:09 PM »
Quote from: Blue Origin Crew Capsule sneak peek
Our New Shepard flight test program is focused on demonstrating the performance and robustness of the system. In parallel, we’ve been designing the capsule interior with an eye toward precision engineering, safety, and comfort. Here’s a sneak peek.

If you happen to be attending the 33rd Space Symposium in Colorado Springs April 3-6, come see this for yourself. The high-fidelity capsule mockup will be on display alongside the New Shepard reusable booster that flew to space and returned five times.

Jeff Bezos

P.S. If you were forwarded this e-mail, you can receive it directly by signing up for updates at blueorigin.com/interested
« Last Edit: 03/29/2017 01:19 PM by Navier–Stokes »

Offline EgorBotts

• France
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #1973 on: 03/29/2017 01:32 PM »
Well I'll go and say it, I find this capsule interior absolutely stunning. The lack of flights lately bothers me, but the hype is growing for sure.

Still lacks prices and firm dates, but we got used to it, I guess.

I'm eager to see pictures of the exhibition model.

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1974 on: 03/29/2017 01:36 PM »
Great pictures. I like the screens by each window so passengers can have other views.

Why the round unit in the centre of the cabin though?

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 539
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #1975 on: 03/29/2017 01:43 PM »
Great pictures. I like the screens by each window so passengers can have other views.

Why the round unit in the centre of the cabin though?

I believe thats the abort engine.
I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 522
  • Likes Given: 1683
« Reply #1976 on: 03/29/2017 02:00 PM »
A year ago, I would not have thought I would say this.. but the information flow by BO is quite good for us Space enthusiasts. I wish more companies would be similarly informative every so often. This news letter type thing is quite well done. Thank you Blue Origin!

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #1977 on: 03/29/2017 06:47 PM »

Matthew
A reuseable 7m US with cargo haul would easily be able to hold cargo/habit 5m+ modules. Give it 2day endurance it could transport them too and from a space station, removing need for separate cargo capsule. With satellites there is no need for fairing, plus satellite  can be returned before deployment if any problems detected. Not sure if it would be capable of GTO missions with cargo hold.

A tanker version would as be possibility, 30t?.

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1978 on: 03/29/2017 09:05 PM »
Blue Origin won the Collier trophy!

Blue Origin wins the 2016 National Aeronautic Association’s Collier Trophy for its work on New Shepard: bit.ly/2nB6tEu

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/847191610391703553

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1979 on: 03/29/2017 10:45 PM »
NAA is proud to announce that Blue Origin New Shepard has been named as the recipient of the 2016 Collier Trophy

https://twitter.com/natlaero/status/847178033425498112

Impossible to express how personally meaningful this is. A dream. Huge kudos to @BlueOrigin team that worked so hard naa.aero/userfiles/file…

https://twitter.com/jeffbezos/status/847217297257185281

Tags: