Author Topic: You Know You're A Space Geek When...  (Read 286992 times)

Offline Andy_Small

• Space Geek
  • California, MO
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: You Know You're A Space Geek When...
« Reply #20 on: 10/22/2007 03:31 AM »
* You tell your wife "Don't plan anything the next two weeks.  The shuttle's going up on Tuesday"  and then she looks at you and laughs

Offline Austin

• Extreme Veteran
  • Virginia
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #21 on: 10/22/2007 03:36 AM »
•   Words such as “scrub” and “go/no-go” have become such an integral part of your vocabulary that you regularly use them in a  
         context that has absolutely nothing to do with the shuttle program.

•   You assign a “percent probability” to everything.  

•   When you are at a work-related meeting, you secretly pretend you’re at an FRR

You guys are killing me with these -- keep em' coming!

Offline dbhyslop

• Likes Given: 4
« Reply #22 on: 10/22/2007 03:37 AM »
You make your wife join you as you drive forty-five minutes each way to watch a shuttle launch...which, when you live in New England, means freezing your butts off on an abandoned beach in the middle of the night as a white speck skims by a few degrees off the horizon, then flickers out at MECO.

Offline Stowbridge

• Veteran
RE: You Know You're A Space Geek When...
« Reply #23 on: 10/22/2007 03:42 AM »
* you get annoyed with the next door neighbor's tree that is over reaching into your yard, and immediately think of a plan that involves a SCAPE suit, monomethylhydrazine and Mike Lienbach planning the operation.
Veteran space reporter.

Offline hmh33

« Reply #24 on: 10/22/2007 03:43 AM »
Any tips for good locations to watch a launch in the Boston area?

Offline tmckinley

• Regular
« Reply #25 on: 10/22/2007 04:10 AM »
Hey Henry, come watch it over at Simmons. PM me (sorry I realize that sounds kind of creepy)

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #26 on: 10/22/2007 05:13 AM »
When you videotape launch coverage on CNN ("pre-net" days)

When you listen to the dial-a-shuttle 900 number (again, I'm dating myself!  Am I REALLY that old???)

When you mentally count down the days and hours to the next shuttle launch.

When you get the crew patch for every shuttle flight

When you go to NSF a lot and check out the latest from L2

When you know what OMS, RCS, RTLS, TAL, etc. actually are!
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • ad astra scientia
  • Daytona Beach, FL
  • Liked: 1204
  • Likes Given: 203
« Reply #27 on: 10/22/2007 05:17 AM »
*You roll your eyes and groan before Marcia Dunn can verbalize her question at a press conference,

*you've taught yourself basic meteorology based on Kathy Winters' forecast slides at Countdown Status Briefings,

*you know when critical S0007 (Countdown) operations will occur before the schedule is posted on L2 or released by NASA,

*You know what S0007 is.

Offline shuttlelegs

• Regular
  • Gladstone Qld Australia
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: 10/22/2007 05:56 AM »
When your friends have bets to see how long it takes you before you bring the "space shuttle" up as a topic .

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #29 on: 10/22/2007 06:02 AM »
Bubbinski - 21/10/2007  12:13 AM

1. When you videotape launch coverage on CNN ("pre-net" days)

2. When you listen to the dial-a-shuttle 900 number (again, I'm dating myself!  Am I REALLY that old???)

3. When you mentally count down the days and hours to the next shuttle launch.

4. When you get the crew patch for every shuttle flight

5. When you go to NSF a lot and check out the latest from L2

6. When you know what OMS, RCS, RTLS, TAL, etc. actually are!

1. I still tape them all!!
3. Check!
4. Not only do I collect the patches as they come out, I place the next flight in the sequence on my flight coat!!
5. I check NSF almost hourly.
6. Orbital Maneuvering System, Reaction Control System, Return to Launch Site and Transatlantic Abort Landing :D
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #30 on: 10/22/2007 06:03 AM »
* You ride on a KSC tour bus down the Saturn Causway and Kennedy Parkway and imagine being dressed in a certain orange pressure suit * ;)
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline punkboi

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 10/22/2007 06:31 AM »

1.) A Cassini image of Saturn is used as the background on my MySpace profile

2.) Every other journal entry on my Blogspot revolves around a NASA mission

3.) An ACTUAL countdown clock to the next shuttle launch graces the top of my Blogspot

4.) More than half of the websites saved in my browser's Favorites folder are space websites

5.) One of my major goals in life is to have my name onboard every unmanned interplanetary mission possible (I think my name's on Cassini, it disintegrated on Deep Impact's impactor, it's now orbiting the moon onboard Kaguya, it's on its way to the Asteroid Belt onboard Dawn and to Mars onboard Phoenix)

and

6.) I got an autograph by a NASA scientist who visited my elementary school when I was in 6th grade

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 614
  • Likes Given: 1053
« Reply #32 on: 10/22/2007 07:42 AM »

* When I check Nasaspaceflight.com several times a day.

* When I really hang out for each and every Constellation program document and try to memorise them all!!

* When every time they make a cut to Orion spacecraft capabilities, at best I merely roll my eyes, at worst I get real mad.

* I look at 'Heavens-above.com' every day to track ISS and satellite viewing opportunities for my city.

* I look up at the Moon and get wistful that men walked there and mad when I realise it's taking too damn long to go back.

* Last December, when I had ugly conflict and confrontations at my workplace, resulting in great stress and sorrow, I looked into the sky and knew that the crews of STS-116 and ISS were having a grand time and a great adventure. My problems seemed so much less significant then. It gave me hope during a very difficult time. That's the power and inspiration of space travel. That's why I wear the "Space Geek" description like a 'badge of honour'...

"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline maskims

• satellite test pilot
  • London
« Reply #33 on: 10/22/2007 07:45 AM »
- When on every page of your monthly space magazine you read the headline and think "I already know that".

- When every time someone at coffee break mentions a launch-related event (Proton failure, Falcon T-0 almost-scrub, etc.) you follow by "Yeah I saw it live".

Offline whitewatcher

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 10/22/2007 09:03 AM »
MKremer - 22/10/2007  5:29 AM

Tim S - 21/10/2007  10:22 PM

your wife is already in bed and she's stiring with thoughts that I'm downloading dirty movies, when really I'm downloading cool stuff from L2.

Show her one of those "dirty" reentry videos.  :laugh:

Regarding your wife: You could show off with your extensive knwoledge about all kinds of docking manoeuvres .....  :laugh:  :cool:
"One Percent for Space"

Offline Jester

• NSF Night Flyer
  • Administrator
  • Some Space Agency
  • Liked: 2569
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #35 on: 10/22/2007 10:35 AM »
- When you are already working a 40hrs a week job at ESA and STILL try to sneak in time to post stuff on L2

- When you know the EMU serial numbers for the next mission by heart (hi anik :P)

Offline pippin

• Regular
  • Liked: 266
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #36 on: 10/22/2007 12:18 PM »
* When, as a kid, the only thing you want to see from your father's slide collection are the ones from his rocketry times; over and over again...

* When the first piece of software you ever wrote was a LV library (oh boy, that was only DAYS after Challenger)

* When you got your first own computer on Jan 28th 1986 and it had a Joystick called "Challenger" with a nice red button and you get home, watch the news and ask yourself "have I done something wrong?" (not kidding)

... and of course

* if you are finally successful in arguing with Jim ;-) (still waiting for that one)

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 831
  • Likes Given: 305
« Reply #37 on: 10/22/2007 12:29 PM »
Bubbinski - 22/10/2007  1:13 AM

When you videotape launch coverage on CNN ("pre-net" days)

When you listen to the dial-a-shuttle 900 number (again, I'm dating myself!  Am I REALLY that old???)

When you mentally count down the days and hours to the next shuttle launch.

When you get the crew patch for every shuttle flight

When you go to NSF a lot and check out the latest from L2

When you know what OMS, RCS, RTLS, TAL, etc. actually are!
My symptoms:

1. When you videotape CNN constantly looking for OPF rollover coverage.  (I'm still kicking myself that I misplaced Vandenberg CNN stuff and didn't record more local Los Angeles news in the '80s while the orbiters were being assembled and delivered.)

Does buying 50 extra cable or satellite channels that you'll never watch just to get NASA TV count, too?

2. When you record dial-a-shuttle audio...oh yeah, and KSC PAO processing reports over the phone.  (I'm still more geek than old, but definitely too much of the latter.)

3. I stopped doing this after the RSLS aborts in '93 and '94.  Sounds obvious, but it's not a launch until liftoff.

4. Hmmm, blind spot for me.  I'd rather look at engineering film and stills than patches.

5. Check.

6. When you request RTLS and TAL/AOA/ATO procedure handbooks from JSC and study those instead of the college textbooks you paid for by weight.  ("Let's see, if I lose an engine here, then this is the theta I need.")

Offline PhalanxTX

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 10/22/2007 12:36 PM »
* You went to Space Camp as soon as you were old enough to go.

* You met Charlie Precourt when he started astronaut training and asked him a question about the Japanese journalists on Mir while wearing your Space Camp flightsuit, thus earning a one-on-one talk after his presentation, an autographed picture of him for yourself, and an autographed Shuttle collage for your school.

* You later worked as an engineering intern at JSC in the Astronaut Office and met Charlie again, this time he was your boss's boss and you were taller than he was.

* You won the Young Astronaut Award from your elementary school in sixth grade and was more proud of that than graduating first in your class.

* You started working for NASA as a high school student in their apprenticeship research program.

* You knew almost as much as your instructors in your astronomy and planetary science classes in college and grad school

* You have an Orion paperboard model on your desk at work

* On your honeymoon, you insisted on taking the resort's weekly astronomy class and ended up staying late with the instructor while your new wife went back to the cottage (hey, she insisted I stay as long as I wanted!)

* You skipped Texas A&M Fish Camp rather than take a week of leave from the Space Vehicle Mockup Facility
"The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program, and if we become extinct because we don't have a space program, it'll serve us right!"

-- Larry Niven, quoted by Arthur Clarke in interview at Space.com, 2001

One Percent for Space!

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #39 on: 10/22/2007 12:44 PM »
* You go to high-school and get mad that you won't see Discovery rise above the launch pad live

* You are making a project that consists of 5+ hours of shuttle footage, that needs to be pieced together for a 30 minute piece

* You envision yourself walking through the White Room and climbing aboard the shuttle and reaching orbit

* After finishing a test on the computer, you check NASAspaceflight.com for up-to-the minute news on the next launch or processing

Tags: