Author Topic: COUNTDOWN, SPACE WORLD and QUEST Space magazines  (Read 2910 times)

Offline copernicus

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
COUNTDOWN, SPACE WORLD and QUEST Space magazines
« on: 10/01/2007 04:42 PM »

I am sure that many of you grew up with Space World magazine.  
As I recall, that later morphed into Countdown, which later morphed,
(again, if I recall correctly) into today's Quest (which covers the History of
space flight).  
   From what I can tell, it appears that there is very little, if anything,
on the Internet about Space World and Countdown.  Unfortunately,
most of my back issues of those 2 publications were destroyed during
a move.  
   It would be fantastic if online versions of the back issues of Space
World and Countdown were available on the Web.  I especially recall
the excellent coverage of both manned and unmanned space missions
in Countdown.  For you Shuttle fans, Coundown covered each mission
thoroughly, with day-by-day narrative and excellent photos.  
   Would it be possible, both technically and legally, for those with back copies
to post scanned versions on the Internet?  

Phil Horzempa

Offline Seattle Dave

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 15
RE: COUNTDOWN, SPACE WORLD and QUEST Space magazines
« Reply #1 on: 10/01/2007 04:52 PM »
copernicus - 1/10/2007  11:42 AM
For you Shuttle fans, Coundown covered each mission
thoroughly, with day-by-day narrative and excellent photos.  

I remember Countdown. Wouldn't stand a chance against a site like this one. Times have changed and the net dominates.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2054
  • Likes Given: 1
RE: COUNTDOWN, SPACE WORLD and QUEST Space magazines
« Reply #2 on: 10/01/2007 06:16 PM »
You have the chronology and relationships wrong.

Space World was the NSS magazine.  Technically, it evolved into Ad Astra (the details are that SW was published separately and the publisher wanted to continue SW, but without NSS support he could not do this).

Countdown was separate.  Quest was separate.  Countdown was bought by the publisher of Quest, who then merged the two.  Quest was later sold to the University of North Dakota and continues under them.

There were other magazines that were similar.  There used to be dedicated shuttle launch magazines.  I've got a few of these.

SW had the NSS subscription base, which I think was over 10,000.  Countdown only had less than 2000.  Same with Quest.

The web has made these other publications essentially impossible to do at such small circulation numbers.  Quest is under 2000.

There's also Spaceflight magazine out of the UK, with a circulation over 4000.

By the way, the former publisher of Quest may have copies of Countdown and Quest to sell.  Contact him at liftoffbooks@comcast.net

Offline copernicus

Re: COUNTDOWN, SPACE WORLD and QUEST Space magazines
« Reply #3 on: 10/02/2007 08:06 PM »

I may not have made it clear that both COUNTDOWN and SPACE WORLD are
no longer being printed.  They closed down years ago.  However, both publications,
especially COUNTDOWN, are great historical resources for those of you interested
in the details of space missions.  It seems that NSF is a site for those fascinated by
the Space Shuttle program.  You will find no better source of info on Shuttle flights
than COUNTDOWN.  Again, it is no longer published and in no way competes with online
material.  Rather, it complements what is available here on NSF.  I do not remember
the last Shuttle flight covered by COUNTDOWN, but my guess is somewhere around
STS-70???  
    I think that it is very important not to let historical gold mines like these 2 magazines
slip into obscurity.  Does anyone out there in NSF have complete, or near complete,
collections of these 2 publications?  

Phil Horzempa

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 674
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #4 on: 10/03/2007 12:21 AM »
copernicus - 2/10/2007  4:06 PM
You will find no better source of info on Shuttle flights than COUNTDOWN.
When it was current in the 80s and 90s, it definitely was a great public resource; however, I wouldn't go that far.  I have many Countdown issues and I seem to recall some posts here from others that do, too...but nothing close to a complete set.

I think the thing that has stood up the best over the years, ultimately, are the pictures.  (Some were NASA's, but many KSC pictures were taken by Carleton Bailie -- now with Boeing, I believe.)

Offline tedcraft

« Reply #5 on: 10/03/2007 12:50 AM »
As I remember Space World was originally published by Ray Palmer (Palmer Publications) from the early '60s.  It wasn't until the '70s that NSI adopted it as its magazine for members.  Not sure who would own the rights, but likely permissions would be necessary to put it on the web.

Offline djoltes

• Boston MA, USA
« Reply #6 on: 03/06/2017 02:40 PM »
This is a very late reply (I was searching for "space world" and happened across it) but I'm actually in the process of acquiring the copyright to the old Space World magazines from the last publisher for the express purpose of scanning issues for the web.

If interested, feel free to visit my website where the first 3 or so years of available issues have been scanned and made available.  I'm selling copies for a few dollars each to finance purchase of additional copies (which go for ridiculous sums on eBay).  http://criticalenquiry.org/wp/space-world-issues/

Tags: