Author Topic: LIVE: Atlas V - Morelos-3 - Cape Canaveral - October 2, 2015 (10:28 UTC)  (Read 62215 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

LOCKHEED MARTIN AWARDED ATLAS

LAUNCH SERVICES CONTRACT

FOR MEXICO’S MORELOS-3

COMMUNICATIONS SATELLITE

DENVER, Sept. 9, 2013 – Lockheed Martin Commercial Launch Services (LMCLS), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Lockheed Martin Corporation [NYSE: LMT], has been selected by the Secretaria de Comunicaciones y Transportes, a government agency of Mexico, to provide commercial launch services using the Atlas V launch vehicle for Mexico’s Morelos-3 communications satellite (also known as MEXSAT-2). The launch is scheduled to occur as early as 2015 from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla.

Morelos-3 will be the third of three communications satellites that comprise the MEXSAT communications satellite system. MEXSAT is a constellation of satellites owned by Secretaria de Comunicaciones y Transportes and operated by Telecomunicaciones de Mexico that delivers advanced telecommunications throughout Mexico.

"We are extremely pleased to be selected for this vital mission that will provide the government of Mexico with world class Atlas launch services for the Morelos-3 satellite, supporting the nation’s growing satellite communications needs,” said Robert R. Cleave, President, Lockheed Martin Commercial Launch Services.

Lockheed Martin is the exclusive provider of commercial Atlas rockets. With dedicated launch sites, unparalleled orbital insertion accuracy, and 110 consecutive successful launches to date, Atlas is unmatched for performance, reliability and schedule assurance in meeting global satellite customer needs.

The MEXSAT program provides communications to rural zones as a complement to other networks and will also provide secure communications for Mexico’s national security needs. Satellite services include education and health programs, voice, data, video, and internet services.

Lockheed Martin Commercial Launch Services, a business unit of Lockheed Martin Corporation, markets the Atlas V to commercial satellite customers worldwide and also offers Athena launch services for small satellites and multi-payload RideShare missions. LMCLS is responsible for contracts, marketing, sales and mission management for commercial and international government Atlas missions and all Athena missions. Under subcontract to LMCLS, United Launch Alliance provides Atlas launch vehicles and launch support services.

Secretaria de Comunicaciones y Transportes is a Mexican government agency with a primary objective to promote secure, efficient, and competent transport and communications systems through the design of strategies that foster economic growth and development. 

Telecomunicaciones de México is a decentralized government agency with 150 years’ experience in providing communications services in Mexico, and operated the Morelos and Solidaridad satellite systems in the 1980s and 1990s.

Headquartered in Bethesda, Md., Lockheed Martin is a global security and aerospace company that employs about 116,000 people worldwide and is principally engaged in the research, design, development, manufacture, integration, and sustainment of advanced technology systems, products, and services. The Corporation’s net sales for 2012 were $47.2 billion.
« Last Edit: 10/02/2015 01:33 pm by Galactic Penguin SST »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Re: Atlas V - Morelos-3 - Cape Canaveral - 2015
« Reply #1 on: 09/09/2013 11:51 am »
Wow! Atlas V getting a commercial geostationary comsat launch contract!  :o I would have thought this would go to Arianespace.....

(the last one was from, what, 6 years ago?)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline SBerger

• Denver CO
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #2 on: 09/09/2013 04:05 pm »
4 years ago (Intelsat-14, launched in Nov 09)

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #3 on: 09/09/2013 04:18 pm »
4 years ago (Intelsat-14, launched in Nov 09)

Yeah, but I am meaning the launch contract signing date.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Step55

• Structural Technician
  • RSA
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #4 on: 09/09/2013 04:49 pm »
Awesome news! Congratulations to ULA.

Offline Step55

• Structural Technician
  • RSA
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #5 on: 09/09/2013 05:07 pm »
Looks like Morelos-3 was originally intended to launch on a Proton M.

http://www.satbeams.com/satellites?id=2547
http://www.satlaunch.net/2012/11/mexsat-2-morelos-3-reschedules-launch.html

Launch date: 30-Mar-2015 (Estimated)
Launch site: Baikonur Cosmodrome
Launch vehicle: Proton M

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #6 on: 09/09/2013 05:28 pm »
Customers worried about Proton-M reliability, SpaceX schedules, and not willing to wait for a slot on Ariane?
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #7 on: 09/09/2013 07:06 pm »
Customers worried about Proton-M reliability, SpaceX schedules, and not willing to wait for a slot on Ariane?
At 5,400kg of launch mass, it's too heavy for Falcon 9 v1.1. Apparently Proton-M and Sea Launch's reliability is not very attractive to them. Yet, I'm surprised that Atlas V is cheaper than paying a premium on Ariane 5. And this would also mean that AV is, in fact, cheaper than H-IIA. Or is just may be, that ULA's cost reduction program and the DoD's block buy were successful in controlling the cost increase for Atlas V.
The satellite itself is a Boeing BSS-702HP, probably one of the highest end satellites around and impossible to launch on non-ITAR safe rockets.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #8 on: 09/09/2013 07:36 pm »
I would argue it has more to do with Ariane V being booked solid vs. Ariane V costing more.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline WHAP

• Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #9 on: 09/09/2013 07:45 pm »
At 5,400kg of launch mass, it's too heavy for Falcon 9 v1.1.

It wasn't mentioned in the press release, but doesn't this mass put it on a Atlas V 411?  I thought some folks had mentioned that v1.1 was capable of lofting payloads equivalent to a 421 or greater, or was that for LEO?
ULA employee.  My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #10 on: 09/09/2013 07:54 pm »
At 5,400kg of launch mass, it's too heavy for Falcon 9 v1.1.

It wasn't mentioned in the press release, but doesn't this mass put it on a Atlas V 411?  I thought some folks had mentioned that v1.1 was capable of lofting payloads equivalent to a 421 or greater, or was that for LEO?
Actually, Ariane 5, Proton-M and Sea Launch quote GTO with a delta-v deficit of 1,500m/s. Thus, it would stand to reason that it would be put there. That would imply a 431. But a 421 does 5,210kg. So may be they'd eat their fuel margins. If it's any indication, both previous 431 were commercial launches (Inmarsat-4 F1 and Intelsat 14). I would expect them to use a 431. For NWO it was just 10M extra and for a big expensive satellite like this it does makes good sense, since the extra performance will buy you more years of fuel reserves. But I can't rule out a 421.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #11 on: 09/10/2013 06:31 am »
The 6600 kg ICO-G1 was launched on an Atlas-V(421). My guesses are the 421 or 431 versions.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 09/10/2013 07:01 am »

Offline spectre9

• Australia
  • Liked: 42
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #13 on: 09/10/2013 11:14 am »
Now this is a party thread.

Well done Lockheed and ULA. You totally deserve this launch.

The reliability has finally won a payload. Be proud of what you've accomplished.

A hearty congrats all around.

Three cheers for Atlas V.  ;D

Offline Occupymars

• Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #14 on: 09/11/2013 01:56 am »
Peter B. de Selding ‏twitter:
Lockheed Martin Commercial Launch: We've cut Atlas 5 prices by >20% in 12 months, and that helped with Mexsat win v. ILS, Sea Launch.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline joek

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1096
« Reply #15 on: 09/11/2013 03:07 am »
Congratulations!  Kudos to LMCLS, especially given that this was an international competition.  Hope to see more such launches coming back to the US.

The satellite itself is a Boeing BSS-702HP, probably one of the highest end satellites around and impossible to launch on non-ITAR safe rockets.

Not sure about that as in 2011 they listed all the usual suspects as potential launch providers (pg 14).  However, interestingly, Atlas V was not listed as an option for MEXSAT-1 or -2, but only for -3.  Presumably recent events changed their outlook and influenced the decision (?).

Offline baldusi

« Reply #16 on: 09/11/2013 12:32 pm »
I meant that LM was not an option, and due to size nor was Soyuz. Also, for reliability reasons GSLV is not a real choice, either. I've noticed that they stated a 6deg inclined geoestationery orbit. That should help Atlas V a bit, but it's clear that the recent cut on launch cost did help a lot. 20% is a lot of money!
BTW, I get the impression that they mixed up the launch choices in the last page. I understand that F9 doesn't have the capacity for the Boeing birds, and that when they mention Ariane 5 shared they mean Secondary and dedicated they mean primary. That or the Orbital was the MSS and the Boeings are FSS.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 09/11/2013 12:45 pm »
BTW, I get the impression that they mixed up the launch choices in the last page. I understand that F9 doesn't have the capacity for the Boeing birds, and that when they mention Ariane 5 shared they mean Secondary and dedicated they mean primary. That or the Orbital was the MSS and the Boeings are FSS.
This table had obviously the table-headers swapped: The left column should read "Mobile Satellite Service" (the Boeing satellites) and the right one is "Fixed Satellite Service" (the Orbital satellite).

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #18 on: 09/11/2013 03:23 pm »
Quote from: Twitter
Lockheed Martin Commercial Launch: We've cut Atlas 5 prices by >20% in 12 months, and that helped with Mexsat win v. ILS, Sea Launch.

https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/377534179937763328

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #19 on: 09/11/2013 09:20 pm »
Customers worried about Proton-M reliability

This sounded probable to me, but when I asked my sources I was told the deal was in work before Proton forgot which way was up.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography