Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon COTS Demo (C2+) GENERAL DISCUSSION  (Read 501008 times)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon COTS Demo (C2+) GENERAL DISCUSSION
« Reply #1140 on: 09/05/2012 04:04 pm »
It can be noted that many of the technical references from refereed journals include the term "laser radar" in their titles.  Apparently, Jorge's and my distinction of terminology is not universally shared in the industry.  Oh well.

When I come across a paper with "laser radar" in the title, abstract or keywords, I usually move on to the next paper.  ;)
That's kind of petty.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline peter-b

• Dr. Peter Brett
  • Oxford, UK
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #1141 on: 09/05/2012 04:29 pm »
It can be noted that many of the technical references from refereed journals include the term "laser radar" in their titles.  Apparently, Jorge's and my distinction of terminology is not universally shared in the industry.  Oh well.

When I come across a paper with "laser radar" in the title, abstract or keywords, I usually move on to the next paper.  ;)
That's kind of petty.
Hah. What I didn't tell you is that I skip them because my area of interest is SAR, not LIDAR.  ;D

Edit: Which journals are you seeing these sorts of inaccuracies in, anyway? I know that IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens. and IEEE Remote Sens. Lett. are really pretty good at not putting out papers with those sort of simple errors.
« Last Edit: 09/05/2012 04:34 pm by peter-b »
Research Scientist (Sensors), Sharp Laboratories of Europe, UK

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #1142 on: 09/05/2012 04:41 pm »

That's kind of petty.
Hah. What I didn't tell you is that I skip them because my area of interest is SAR, not LIDAR.  ;D

Edit: Which journals are you seeing these sorts of inaccuracies in, anyway? I know that IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens. and IEEE Remote Sens. Lett. are really pretty good at not putting out papers with those sort of simple errors.
:D
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline MarekCyzio

And after nearly 3 years, Dragon capsule visited Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex

Offline AJW

• Liked: 1315
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #1144 on: 02/06/2015 11:31 pm »
Surprised it has taken so long.  In 2011 I saw the COTS demo flight 1 Dragon at the nearby Air Force Space and Missile Museum.  It was out on the lawn in front with no security and would have made a great conversation piece if you wanted to set up your own MCC-X in your living room.
We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #1145 on: 02/08/2015 05:30 am »
Dragons sit at McGregor after flight (similar to Soyuz).  SpaceX should donate them to museums at inflated value and take them as a tax deduction.  Fixed-price Dragons are mammals on the evolutionary scale; Orbiters and Apolloe/Geminae/Mercuriae are birds.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #1146 on: 02/08/2015 11:55 am »
Not reptiles?
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81684
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #1147 on: 05/25/2023 01:01 pm »
twitter.com/astro_pettit/status/1661678540234924032

11 years ago today, the first @SpaceX Dragon cargo craft approached @Space_Station, where my crewmates and I captured and docked it, beginning this new era of commercial space.

Photos in near infrared and visible imagery.

https://twitter.com/astro_pettit/status/1661679060756361217

Visible Dragon, showing true colors.
Notice that the reaction control thrusters in the infrared image are magenta, showing that they are “hot.”  Seen in the background, healthy vegetation on Earth reflects magenta in the infrared.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1148 on: 08/23/2023 06:23 am »
https://twitter.com/spaceabhi/status/1694206191852036604

This reminds me of a funny story.  After Cargo Demo 2 SpaceX gave all the employees an "official" infographic poster about the mission as a keepsake.  Then, a day later an email came out saying it might be ITAR sensitive so we could never take it home.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #1149 on: 03/02/2024 02:01 pm »
https://twitter.com/astro_pettit/status/1763939522528600200

The very first @SpaceX Dragon D1 departure burns from @Space_Station.

When the docking hooks release, spring pushers give Dragon a nudge and it drifts away where reaction control thrusters fire, moving it about a kilometer from Station. Then deorbit engines fire, sending it to a fiery cremation in the upper atmosphere. First three photos show departure thrusters firing, the 4th, with Dragon visible as only a dot, shows an X plume from the deorbit burn. When thrusters fire in space, the hot combustion products create a  glowing plasma.

Captured Expedition 31, May, 2012; Nikon D3s, 85mm, 1/20th sec, f5.6, ISO 400.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography