Author Topic: ASDS OCISLY - with Thaicom-8 S1 - Return Coverage - May-June, 2016  (Read 489022 times)

Offline MarekCyzio

7:43, I am running out of sunlight (and my wife's patience) and the barge is still so far :(

Offline Hankelow8

• UK
  • Liked: 166
  • Likes Given: 68
Does not seem to be that tilted now.

Of course there is the possibility  that it's heading in a direction that points the tilt to land, than
it would seem to be vertical, we will soon know, but speculation is fun isn't it!

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
Does not seem to be that tilted now.

Of course there is the possibility  that it's heading in a direction that points the tilt to land, than
it would seem to be vertical, we will soon know, but speculation is fun isn't it!

looks like they did a u-turn and a couple 360s and are now facing away from shore

Offline dgates

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 44
So, how far off the deck is the non-contact leg I wonder?  More than 6" and less than 24" is my thinking, to put a range on it.  Looking forward to seeing the pix after she gets dockside.

Pilot

Offline Chris Bergin

7:43, I am running out of sunlight (and my wife's patience) and the barge is still so far :(

We all appreciate you grabbing these pics! Everyone give Marek a like :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline StuffOfInterest

• Just interested in space
  • McLean, Virginia, USA
  • Liked: 920
  • Likes Given: 231
If there is a tilt, it could be interesting to see how the lift hat is aligned and attached.  Hopefully it can be hooked at the high point and then levered down to the lower latch points.

Offline Ilikeboosterrockets

• Liked: 88
  • Likes Given: 34
I wonder if you'll be able to see the sun set later on the top of the stage than the bottom.

Offline tleski

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 367
  • Likes Given: 758
So, how far off the deck is the non-contact leg I wonder?  More than 6" and less than 24" is my thinking, to put a range on it.  Looking forward to seeing the pix after she gets dockside.

It was never proven based on the analysis of the images that one leg is not touching the deck but we should find out very soon.

Offline Wolfram66

This stage shall be known as "The Leaning Launcher of Elon"

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
I'm waiting to see if we need to "update" what a maximum damage to a successfuly returned stage looks like...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline hans_ober

• Somewhere
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 2
I'm waiting to see if we need to "update" what a maximum damage to a successfuly returned stage looks like...

Did this one use a 3 engine landing burn?

Offline southshore26

Yes

Offline Flying Beaver

ELSBETH III looks to be headed in towards port at about 2 knots as of right now.
Watched B1019 land in person 21/12/2015.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741

Yes

Are you sure about that? The burn duration appeared to be about 30 seconds, which is consistent with previous single-engine landing burns.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620

The landing burn appeared to last about 30 seconds, which would be consistent with a single-engine burn.

According to a variety of sources, this landing burn started with just the center engine, then two outer engines were started for several seconds, and then were shut down.  The center engine stayed on through touchdown.

It was a hybrid landing burn that I've seen labeled a 1-3-1 burn.
« Last Edit: 06/01/2016 03:56 am by the_other_Doug »
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

At this point of the hosted webcast, the commentator on the left explicitly mentioned (and hand motioned) the 1-3-1 sequence:
--
Don Day

Offline hans_ober

• Somewhere
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 2
At this point of the hosted webcast, the commentator on the left explicitly mentioned (and hand motioned) the 1-3-1 sequence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBYC4f79iXc?t=29m54s

They start with one engine, turn on 2 more, turn off 2 and land with one? Why the sequenced startup? Might be related to the sudden jerk due to change in acceleration or to ease the tilt if the engines don't ramp up correctly?

The center engine stays running for control, the outer two are timed to optimally minimize gravity loss (putting on the brakes hard means less time resisting acceleration due to gravity, hence more fuel saved for the final vectored approach).
« Last Edit: 06/01/2016 03:19 am by MarsInMyLifetime »
--
Don Day

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBYC4f79iXc?t=29m54s

Thanks, I missed the sign language.   ;)
« Last Edit: 06/01/2016 03:18 am by Kabloona »

Offline Wolfram66

ASDS and Go Ships may be waiting for a rising tide to aid entry to port. Local low tide occurred at 10:36Pm EDT

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography