Author Topic: NASA to Mark 40th Anniversary of Skylab and Life Off Earth  (Read 4021 times)

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8787
  • Likes Given: 7817
May 06, 2013

MEDIA ADVISORY : M13-070

NASA to Mark 40th Anniversary of Skylab and Life Off Earth

WASHINGTON -- NASA will commemorate the 40th anniversary of America's first space station Monday, May 13, with a televised roundtable discussion featuring Skylab astronauts, a current astronaut and agency managers planning future space missions.

The discussion, open to NASA employees and the public, will begin at 2:30 p.m. EDT in the James Webb Auditorium of NASA Headquarters at 300 E St. SW in Washington. The event will air live on NASA Television and the agency's website.

Participants will include:
-- Owen Garriott, science pilot, Skylab 3
-- Gerald Carr, commander, Skylab 4
-- Kevin Ford, commander, International Space Station (ISS) Expedition 34
-- D. Marshall Porterfield, director, Space Life and Physical Sciences Research and Applications Division, NASA Headquarters
-- Jason Crusan, director, Advanced Exploration Systems, NASA Headquarters

Media representatives who want to attend must call 202-358-1100 no later than noon May 13. Anyone unable to attend the event in-person may ask questions during the program via Twitter or Google+ using the hashtag #asknasa.

NASA launched Skylab on May 14, 1973. It was the nation's first foray into significant scientific research in microgravity. The three Skylab crews proved humans could live and work effectively for long durations in space. The knowledge gathered during Skylab helped inform development and construction of the International Space Station, just as the research and technology demonstrations being conducted aboard the ISS will help shape a new set of missions that will take Americans farther into the solar system.

For NASA TV streaming video, scheduling and downlink information, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

For more information on the Skylab program, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/skylab

- end -
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Jason Sole

• Chicago
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 3
Great idea. Such an under publicized event.

Offline SalemHanna

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
Great idea. Such an under publicized event.

It wouldn't surprise me. I can't speak for American media, but the Skylab programme as a whole was rarely discussed in Britain once Mir and then the ISS came along. Hopefully, this month's anniversary will reignite awareness in what was one of the best off-shoots of the Apollo programme. Every schoolchild should see video footage of zero-G somersaults on the inside of a converted Saturn V tank!
Apollo, Soyuz, Shuttle...SKYLON.

Offline John44

• Elite Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • space-multimedia
  • Liked: 258

Offline John44

• Elite Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • space-multimedia
  • Liked: 258
NASA Marks the 40th Anniversary of Skylab and Life Off Earth
http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8260

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7823
  • Likes Given: 2
Good 1-hour discussion. The astronauts made some good points about lessons learned. A big one was about operations and how to schedule a long duration mission.

Tags: Skylab  NASA 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography