Author Topic: Fobos-Grunt EOM Re-Entry Latest  (Read 230414 times)

Offline BrunoQuiocca

• Brazil
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: LIVE: Fobos-Grunt EOM Re-Entry Latest
« Reply #200 on: 01/15/2012 04:29 pm »
We might get first confirmation if Bruno can't find FG in the sky when it passes over him?

Now i only have a DSLR with a 300mm lens, a 720p camera. Nothing more. And now is summer here, so there is a "HUGE" sun. I'll only be able to see if it is entering with some trail.
« Last Edit: 01/15/2012 04:33 pm by BrunoQuiocca »

Offline asdert

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #201 on: 01/15/2012 04:34 pm »
We might get first confirmation if Bruno can't find FG in the sky when it passes over him?

I don't think so. It is broad daylight in Brazil. If Ph-G is still intact, it might pass without being visible. And there might be clouds today.

So not seeing it, is no proof it has come down.

Offline notsorandom

• Ohio
  • Liked: 438
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #202 on: 01/15/2012 04:37 pm »
Just a heads up to those wanting to get one last look at PG. I know we have a few members of the forum who live in Texas. If I am looking at Heavens Above correctly there is a visible pass over the state and Mexico around 6 PM local time. From the news I have heard its not expected to come down for a few more hours after that but it might be interesting to try and see it. It will be over my house a few min later but will be in shadow. I still might go out and take a look.

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
« Reply #203 on: 01/15/2012 04:38 pm »
http://reentrynews.aero.org/2011065a.html

Predicted Reentry Time:     15 JAN 2012 @ 17:52 UTC ± 19 minutes
Prediction Epoch:     15 JAN 2012 @ 16:36:03.905 UTC

Offline stu_boy

• Likes Given: 113
« Reply #204 on: 01/15/2012 04:40 pm »
Following it on my iPad satellite tracker app, it's descended from 139km to 134km quite rapidly. It's south of Japan now over the Pacific.

Just to be crystal clear, for those of you new to this or not reading the last two pages, any online tracker page or app or whatever IS NOT GIVING YOU LIVE DATA.  It's taking the orbital data snapshot from the recent past (google "TLE") and predicting where it will be.  The altitude will be wrong for sure, because the TLE had the object in orbit, and it's clearly coming down out of orbit now!

The only people who know where it really is right now are A) at military radar installations and B) on the ground watching it fly over.  And P-G is in daylight now so that makes spotting it from the ground nearly impossible.

Well of course it's not in orbit! The altitude will be wrong as you say (it has actually increased). But as I am a) not at a military radar installation and b) not stood in the Pacific Ocean, this is possibly the best way of at least getting a rough idea of where it is now. My first post and I get a slap on the wrist. Maybe I should go back to lurking..

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 821
« Reply #205 on: 01/15/2012 04:44 pm »
From Twitter, five minutes ago:

"most probably will have already re-entered the atmosphere, and will surely be down within 10 minutes if not already"
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline Sandro

« Reply #206 on: 01/15/2012 04:47 pm »

Now i only have a DSLR with a 300mm lens, a 720p camera. Nothing more. And now is summer here, so there is a "HUGE" sun. I'll only be able to see if it is entering with some trail.

Hi Bruno

According to my rough estimates, PG will come down just a minute after it is visible from your location. It will be then closer to the city of Brasilia.

From your location the reentry might be visible when it occurs a bit earlier! Unfortunately the pass will be from SW to NNE which means just below the bright sun..... but at around 17:56 UTC it will be a bit more to the north, so that the reentry could be visible!

Good luck from the Netherlands!

« Last Edit: 01/15/2012 04:50 pm by Sandro »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #207 on: 01/15/2012 04:47 pm »
Just a heads up to those wanting to get one last look at PG. I know we have a few members of the forum who live in Texas. If I am looking at Heavens Above correctly there is a visible pass over the state and Mexico around 6 PM local time. From the news I have heard its not expected to come down for a few more hours after that but it might be interesting to try and see it. It will be over my house a few min later but will be in shadow. I still might go out and take a look.

Are you reading this thread?  Too late, it should be entering now.
« Last Edit: 01/15/2012 04:48 pm by Jim »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #208 on: 01/15/2012 04:48 pm »

"most probably will have already re-entered the atmosphere, and will surely be down within 10 minutes if not already"

From whom on twitter? Justin Bieber could have tweeted that for all we know ;D (Heaven forbid! :D)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #209 on: 01/15/2012 04:48 pm »
About to head over Chile and Argentina if it's still alive.
« Last Edit: 01/15/2012 04:49 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #210 on: 01/15/2012 04:49 pm »

From whom on twitter? Justin Bieber could have tweeted that for all we know ;D (Heaven forbid! :D)

My bad.... tweeted by @PhG_Reentry
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #211 on: 01/15/2012 04:50 pm »

From whom on twitter? Justin Bieber could have tweeted that for all we know ;D (Heaven forbid! :D )
Could come from someone who trusts the USSTRATCOM window ;)

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #212 on: 01/15/2012 04:52 pm »
Seeing talk on Twitter that US STRATCOM is claiming P-G re-entered over Pacific.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Skylab

• Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #213 on: 01/15/2012 04:53 pm »
@PhG_Reentry Phobos Grunt
RT @timmermansr: US STRATCOM claiming #PhobosGrunt already reentered and crashed in Pacific in last few minutes. Unconfirmed by Roscosmos.
http://twitter.com/PhG_Reentry

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #214 on: 01/15/2012 04:54 pm »

My bad.... tweeted by @PhG_Reentry

Thanks, that's reliable.

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #215 on: 01/15/2012 04:57 pm »
Seeing talk on Twitter that US STRATCOM is claiming P-G re-entered over Pacific.

It's just that the USTRATCOM window has changed from red to white..(window period has closed)                     
« Last Edit: 01/15/2012 04:58 pm by input~2 »

Offline JSC Phil

• Liked: 629
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #216 on: 01/15/2012 04:58 pm »
Predictions look refined to within 10 minutes. Needs a visual or radar confirmation, but I'd expect it to be down.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #217 on: 01/15/2012 05:00 pm »
Does anyone know whether the P-G sample return capsule contains a transponder? How were they intending to find it assuming a nominal mission & return to Earth - surely not just visually?
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline BrunoQuiocca

• Brazil
« Reply #218 on: 01/15/2012 05:01 pm »
If it actually passed, i haven't seen anything...

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #219 on: 01/15/2012 05:02 pm »
@PhG_Reentry retweets part cloud cover in Spain, not sure if visibility will be enough to confirm that re-entry is complete.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography