Author Topic: ORB-2 going to view the launch  (Read 12705 times)

Offline grythumn

• Liked: 167
  • Likes Given: 246
ORB-2 going to view the launch
« on: 06/24/2014 04:40 pm »

jmsjr's list of launch viewing locations.

http://goo.gl/maps/7SDDv

I'll probably be at Old Ferry unless I get something in between 300 and 1000mm. Arbuckle gets awesome bass, but is usually more crowded, and was closed once or twice.

Radio Talkgroups/Frequencies. If I get there early enough, I plan to try setting up unitrunker and an RTL SDR. Have not tried these before.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5486

If it gets bumped to the 12th, though, I'll be out of state.

-Bob

Offline grythumn

Re: ORB-2 going to view the launch
« Reply #1 on: 06/30/2014 09:31 pm »

More of the pieces have come together.  I'm not sure I can put together a live feed for the next launch on my current budget, but I know more about it.

- Connection. Unlocked cell phone, acquired AT&T sim. Should get 3G speeds, but don't know how crowded the cell tower will be on launch days. LTE is possible at Old Ferry according to the coverage maps, but I'd need a new phone. Not this month.
- Tripod - Current one is much too light. Narrowed selection. Pending.
- Power - Trolling battery and inverter. Not sure on runtime, but should be okay.
- Radio - Trouble with delivery. Ordering another SDR.
- Microphone - Have a voice grade one, and decent ADC, but wasn't going to bother. Would need wind screen, most likely, too.

- Video - This one is tricky. My DSLR doesn't do tethering. It has HDMI out, but not a clean feed and not full screen, and HDMI recorders are about as much as a low-end HD camera. Very few are set up for T-mount, or have integral lenses nearly as good as my spotting scope. Can modify a webcam for T-mount; not sure if enough time before launch, also would keep me from capturing stills, unless I get a split mirror setup working on my C90.

Another option is my old Canon S3IS; it has an analog video out, respectable zoom of its own. Can put an external TC on it, might be decent quality for an SD video stream.

I'm honestly not sure if it's worth doing a live video for Antares... I think their own coverage has more and closer shots. If the radio feed works, that might be interesting. The stuff I've acquired I've been meaning to get or have other uses for... video camera or an HDMI recorder would be single-use.

-Bob

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 289
  • Likes Given: 737
« Reply #2 on: 07/05/2014 09:25 pm »
I am woundering if you could view the lunch from Savannah GA. I am not if per the view map that 5 degrees could be seen from Savannah.

Offline SaxtonHale

• Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #3 on: 07/07/2014 07:54 pm »
Was Arbuckle Road closed during the last Antares launch? I'm not sure if I should check it out or just head straight for Old Ferry

Offline grythumn

« Reply #4 on: 07/08/2014 03:24 am »
Was Arbuckle Road closed during the last Antares launch? I'm not sure if I should check it out or just head straight for Old Ferry

I don't think it was... there were only a handful of people at Old Ferry. I got there late... just barely in time for the launch.

-Bob

Offline grythumn

« Reply #5 on: 07/08/2014 03:27 am »
I am woundering if you could view the lunch from Savannah GA. I am not if per the view map that 5 degrees could be seen from Savannah.

I doubt it, but you can try. You'd probably have a better chance in an evening or night launch, and if you can get some elevation (a building with a clear view of the horizon to the NE).

-Bob

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 1130
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #6 on: 07/08/2014 03:49 am »

I doubt it, but you can try. You'd probably have a better chance in an evening or night launch, and if you can get some elevation (a building with a clear view of the horizon to the NE).

-Bob

I Had an excellent view of a night launch, viewing from South East NC, but have never been able to spot a launch during daylight. So I would say seeing a day launch from GA is pretty much impossible.
« Last Edit: 07/08/2014 03:50 am by Scylla »
I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #7 on: 07/09/2014 03:55 pm »
Is a KML file of the launch trajectory available to be posted to NSF?  I see the sample views published by Orbital here, but usually they give us the file so we can DIY from any location.

http://www.orbital.com/NewsInfo/MissionUpdates/Orb-2/Maps/default.aspx 

Offline LouScheffer

• Liked: 6109
  • Likes Given: 836
« Reply #8 on: 07/09/2014 04:10 pm »
Any official weather forecast yet?  I have not been able to find one online, and would like to know the odds of weather-related delays before making the trek...

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: 07/09/2014 07:31 pm »

I don't believe Arbuckle has ever been closed for Antares.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #10 on: 07/09/2014 07:39 pm »

I don't believe Arbuckle has ever been closed for Antares.

I've not been there for a launch, but I've heard that it can overcrowd and the police may ticket or prevent parking that encroaches on the neighboring farms.

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: 07/09/2014 08:21 pm »
I believe that is correct, it's suggested to arrive early in order to ensure you get a parking spot.  If I remember correctly from A-One there was one side of the road (left side I believe) that was OK to park on - but don't take that for certain.  But that launch wasn't very crowded either.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline grythumn

« Reply #12 on: 07/09/2014 09:02 pm »
Ah, well, with the delay I'm not going to make it to this launch. :( I'll try to see it from NJ.

My new tripod and gimbal mount are in... they work much better than the old setup. Have to tweak the balance a bit. Ah well, I suppose I have time now before ORB-3.

-Bob

Offline FXM

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #13 on: 07/12/2014 11:04 pm »
Coming from Southeastern Pa we are setting out around 6AM. Hoping for Arbuckle Neck Road view but if it's closed then Old Ferry. Looks like it will be a good day for a launch.

Offline SaxtonHale

• Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 143
« Reply #14 on: 07/13/2014 12:11 am »
I didn't mean to sow confusion about Arbuckle - the first time I went out there was for LADEE on a different pad, and it was closed for that launch.

What I've heard from this thread and from Wallops employees is that it will not be closed but might be crowded.

Offline FXM

« Reply #15 on: 07/13/2014 01:27 am »
Thanks for the update! Hopefully everything continues to be go for launch!

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #16 on: 07/13/2014 03:26 am »
I'll be there. Is the visitor's center the place to go? If I have a badge, is there any better place than the general public? Arbuckle?
I will attempt to livestream. It won't likely be worth watching (haven't ordered the lens kit, yet), but I want to try anyway.

Are you all meeting some place to eat afterward? I'll be with my wife.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline swampcat

• Tidewater Virginia
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 2500
« Reply #17 on: 07/13/2014 10:44 am »
I will be there as well with some fellow amateur rocketeers from SEVRA (South East Virginia Rocketry Association).

According to my NASA contact, we will be viewing from Arbuckle Neck Rd. I'll be wearing my SpaceX F9 hat.
Sent from my desktop using my fingers.

Offline grythumn

« Reply #18 on: 07/13/2014 12:19 pm »
I didn't mean to sow confusion about Arbuckle - the first time I went out there was for LADEE on a different pad, and it was closed for that launch.

What I've heard from this thread and from Wallops employees is that it will not be closed but might be crowded.

Local LEO don't always get the memo, though... they've been know to tell people that the site is closed on launch day, but a few hours later other people get down there just fine.

-Bob

Offline spacedog71

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #19 on: 07/13/2014 01:08 pm »
http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasa-wallops-visitor-center-launch-viewing/

this page is brand spanking new, right? i mean, i'll admit i gave up checking the main wallops page for any useful data around april of last year (in favor for the forums here)  ;D but i don't remember the wallops facebook page ever linking to something on their web site with substantive or useful "going to see the launch" data before. 

at the very least, this is the first time i've ever seen anything like "want to watch it from our roof? because we're fine with that".

i was fully arbuckle-bound this morning, but i gotta admit, this has me tempted. the roof's set a good ways away from the main viewing area, but it's also set above the main layer of marsh grasses and other vegetation, being a... well, a roof and everything.

what do you guys think? has anyone lensed the launch pad from the roof before? i know arbuckle is closer, but it's not official, doesn't have lavatories on-site, etc....
« Last Edit: 07/13/2014 01:10 pm by spacedog71 »

Offline grythumn

« Reply #20 on: 07/13/2014 01:46 pm »
http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasa-wallops-visitor-center-launch-viewing/

this page is brand spanking new, right? i mean, i'll admit i gave up checking the main wallops page for any useful data around april of last year (in favor for the forums here)  ;D but i don't remember the wallops facebook page ever linking to something on their web site with substantive or useful "going to see the launch" data before. 

at the very least, this is the first time i've ever seen anything like "want to watch it from our roof? because we're fine with that".

i was fully arbuckle-bound this morning, but i gotta admit, this has me tempted. the roof's set a good ways away from the main viewing area, but it's also set above the main layer of marsh grasses and other vegetation, being a... well, a roof and everything.

what do you guys think? has anyone lensed the launch pad from the roof before? i know arbuckle is closer, but it's not official, doesn't have lavatories on-site, etc....

Never seen any shots from the roof; there'll probably be some NASA Social shots from the bleachers floating around.

Let's put it this way... The visitor center roof is ~11.9 km away (depending on which building; picked the closest one.) and off a main road; easy access, plenty of parking.

Arbuckle is about 2.6 km. Old Ferry is about 3.4 km. I've never had trouble seeing over wetland vegetation at either, but there are zero amenities and limited parking at those two sites.

As for food.. haven't eaten many places there. Had breakfast at Bill's Seafood on Chincoteague last year. Large portions, good food, but was breakfast, not lunch or dinner.

-Bob

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #21 on: 07/13/2014 03:30 pm »
Does anyone have the actual address for Arbuckle Neck Rd viewing point? Also, it'd be nice to see it on a google map if you can or gps coordinates.  Thanks!
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline grythumn

« Reply #22 on: 07/13/2014 03:46 pm »
It's on jmsjr's map from the OP http://goo.gl/maps/7SDDv

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #23 on: 07/13/2014 03:51 pm »
It's on jmsjr's map from the OP http://goo.gl/maps/7SDDv

Visitor Center is at capacity for launch

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #24 on: 07/13/2014 08:46 pm »
There were visitors on the roof, but a sign in the VC stated the pad is obscured by trees (but it would be visible immediately after lift-off).

Offline swampcat

• Tidewater Virginia
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 2500
« Reply #25 on: 07/14/2014 12:27 am »
I watched the launch from the end of Arbuckle Neck Road. You can't get a better view of the launch.

It was awesome. The sound was incredibly loud.

The picture below shows a part of the crowd. There were a  bunch more people along the shore behind me.

I went to the Visitor's Center after the launch. The traffic both in and out was heavy. Managed to catch the news conference live at the VC.

The roof of the VC is a rather poor place to view an Antares launch as there's a line of trees blocking sight of the pad. However, there are bleachers a short walk away where the pad is visible with restrooms close by.
Sent from my desktop using my fingers.

Offline FXM

« Reply #26 on: 07/14/2014 01:28 am »
I was setup with the scanner and PVC antenna mast.

It was my first trip to the end of the road it really is a great view as long as you have proper boots and bug spray. ;D You could really see and feel the launch.

Here is a thirty second exposure of the launch today.

Offline grythumn

« Reply #27 on: 07/14/2014 04:21 am »
I was setup with the scanner and PVC antenna mast.

It was my first trip to the end of the road it really is a great view as long as you have proper boots and bug spray. ;D You could really see and feel the launch.

Here is a thirty second exposure of the launch today.

Nice picture. :)

Can I ask how well the Radio Reference frequencies/talkgroups matched what you observed? And how strong were the signals? (aka Can I get away with the crummy random wire antenna, or do I need to get a real antenna rig and the right adapters..)

-Bob

Offline grythumn

« Reply #28 on: 07/14/2014 04:26 am »
Ah, well, with the delay I'm not going to make it to this launch. :( I'll try to see it from NJ.

My new tripod and gimbal mount are in... they work much better than the old setup. Have to tweak the balance a bit. Ah well, I suppose I have time now before ORB-3.

-Bob

I tried to catch it from Bradley Beach on the Jersey shore, but seeing was poor and there were a lot of clouds... remnants of a band of rain that passed through about 45 minutes before launch. Couldn't see anything directly, but I did catch the webcast.

-Bob

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #29 on: 07/14/2014 08:00 pm »
What was the parking situation like at the end of Arbuckle Neck Rd? I might try that whenever I next get down there for a launch.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #30 on: 07/14/2014 08:21 pm »
What was the parking situation like at the end of Arbuckle Neck Rd? I might try that whenever I next get down there for a launch.
not too bad. Just have to park along the road and walk a quarter mile or so.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography