Author Topic: LIVE: Expedition 36 Russian Spacewalk (EVA-34) - August 16, 2013  (Read 52134 times)

Offline JimO

• Veteran
  • Texas, USA
  • Liked: 482
  • Likes Given: 195
I couldn'nt find any notice of any opportunity to drop an antenna cover, as was observed drifting outside two days later. Was there a cause-and-effect with the EVA or a coincidence, do you think?

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
I couldn'nt find any notice of any opportunity to drop an antenna cover, as was observed drifting outside two days later. Was there a cause-and-effect with the EVA or a coincidence, do you think?

Well considering the cover had close to zero momentum (as it was just hanging around), one would think that something just gave way, as an inadvertent knock would send it flying away in a relative hurry.

Offline JimO

• Veteran
  • Texas, USA
  • Liked: 482
  • Likes Given: 195
Well considering the cover had close to zero momentum (as it was just hanging around), one would think that something just gave way, as an inadvertent knock would send it flying away in a relative hurry. 

Even more important, the differential drag would have quickly instilled a separation rate even with zero relative motion. So I agree the object was seen very soon after it separated.

Moving in an aft direction is precisely the vector you'd expect early on. But very soon afterwards, not more than an hour or two, it would appear to drop, pick up forward speed, and pass beneath and out ahead of the station.

Now, WHY was it spotted? The crew doesn't regularly scan the skies, who was at the window, doing what?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography