Author Topic: Following Hermann Oberth  (Read 2882 times)

Offline wally

• Romania
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 10
Following Hermann Oberth
« on: 05/11/2010 05:22 pm »
As I live relatively near this places, in the last months I've been visiting all the houses related to Hermann Oberth. Widely regarded as a German scientist (as stated in Britannica, for instance), Hermann Oberth was born in Sibiu (Hermannstadt), Romania, and only later he applied for, and received, the German citizenship. Mr. Dumitru Prunariu, the only Romanian who flew in space on an Intercosmos soviet mission, met a few times with Dr. Oberth and said that he always consider himself to be a Romanian.

Hopefully this year I'll get my PhD in physics in the same room and at the same University as he did, back in 23 May 1923.

The first photo is the house in which Hermann Oberth was born, in 25 June 1894. The house is located in Sibiu, 45.795778N, 24.158278E, currently being part of a hospital building.

The second photo a the house in which Hermann Oberth lived a few years while going to first years of school, in Sighisoara, 46.221267N, 24.788889E. The building is currently a private house, so besides an informative plaque, there is no other stuff related to Hermann Oberth there.

In Mediaș (46.158811N, 24.347647E) there is a memorial house dedicated to Hermann Oberth, featuring a full-sized rocket on its lawn. The last two photos are from there.

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Following Hermann Oberth
« Reply #1 on: 05/11/2010 06:13 pm »
I got to meet Prof. Hermann Oberth at KSC prior to the launch of STS-61-A, October 30, 1985 with the German D1 space hab. He was there with an aid and they were handing out sheets of paper containing Prof. Oberth's views on spaceflight- hand signed by him. I have mine framed here in my office.

Offline wally

• Romania
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2 on: 05/11/2010 06:18 pm »
Aswesome!
He passed away just four years later.

Does someone have an English version of "Die Rakete zu den Planetenräumen" or "Wege zur Raumschiffahrt"?

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #3 on: 05/11/2010 06:51 pm »
I got to meet Prof. Hermann Oberth at KSC prior to the launch of STS-61-A, October 30, 1985 with the German D1 space hab. He was there with an aid and they were handing out sheets of paper containing Prof. Oberth's views on spaceflight- hand signed by him. I have mine framed here in my office.
What were his views on spaceflight?
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
« Reply #4 on: 05/15/2010 12:00 am »

Give me a few days (I'm jammed up on work right now) and I'll scan the letter and post it here.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #5 on: 05/15/2010 12:02 am »

Give me a few days (I'm jammed up on work right now) and I'll scan the letter and post it here.
I'd appreciate that. :) Take your time.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
« Reply #6 on: 05/26/2010 01:51 pm »

I'd appreciate that. :) Take your time.

Here's my attempt at posting the document

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography