Author Topic: Michoud Employment Story  (Read 992 times)

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 1356
Michoud Employment Story
« on: 07/20/2007 01:51 pm »
A story on Michoud Employment appeared today.  It said that employment would fall from today's 2,400 to only 200-300 for Orion, plus however many workers are needed to build the Ares I upper stage.  

In addition, I was surprised by the report that Michoud has 15 more external fuel tanks to build.  Aren't we expecting less than 15 more shuttle missions already?

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/19/ap3933331.html

- Ed Kyle

Offline whitewatcher

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: Michoud Employment Story
« Reply #1 on: 07/20/2007 02:05 pm »
I remember 15 remaining flights and at least one additional spare tank ... and there should be a tank ready for the (possible) STS-3xx mission.
"One Percent for Space"

Offline James (Lockheed)

• Veteran
  • Huntsville
  • Liked: 193
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Michoud Employment Story
« Reply #2 on: 07/20/2007 02:23 pm »
"It said that employment would fall from today's 2,400 to only 200-300 for Orion, plus however many workers are needed to build the Ares I upper stage. "

This article seems to be missing things for the sake of doom and gloom.

Ares work will use the bulk of the workforce, not Orion, so they shouldn't be concentrating on that. We also have K1 work for RpK.

Regardless, the amount of Ares work is what will keep us going. A number of the workforce at MAF are already working half days on ET and Ares. Sure, we'll probably lose some workers, but this seems to be overblowing it.

ET-138 is the final tank, and is already under construction.

From a recent article here:

"Meanwhile, at the Michoud Assembly Facility (MAF), the final External Tank has begun to take shape, as the New Orleans plant begins ET-138 construction. The tank is not manifested with any of the future shuttle missions, and will be used as a back up tank, should it be required.

'The panel is the first of 12 that will eventually construct the Liquid Hydrogen Tank aft dome for the final tank, ET-138,' noted Michoud information. 'The tank will be 'partially-built,' providing NASA with an important resource should it be needed to support a future, unplanned shuttle mission.'"

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography