Author Topic: SpaceX: Dragon V2 Unveil - Discussion/Party Thread.  (Read 536108 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Here we go folks!

Now converted to discussion, party thread, based on the excitement. Link to the actual event update thread shortly.

***MEDIA ADVISORY***

SpaceX CEO & Chief Designer Elon Musk to Unveil Dragon V2 Spacecraft

WHO:                    Elon Musk, CEO & Chief Designer, SpaceX

WHAT:                  Mr. Musk will introduce SpaceX’s new Dragon V2 spacecraft, a next generation spacecraft designed to carry astronauts into space.

WHERE:                SpaceX, 1 Rocket Road, Hawthorne, CA, 90250.

WHEN:                 Thursday, May 29. Check in begins at 6:00 p.m. PT; event begins at 7:00 p.m. PT.

Due to International Trade and Arms Regulations, this event is open to U.S. Citizens and Green Card holders only.  (Funny, as the title of the e-mail was "You're invited!" Boooooo! Not that I can afford the flight ;D)

For those who cannot attend in person, this event will also be webcast LIVE at www.spacex.com/webcast.

While I'm here. Here's our collection of recent Dragon articles:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/tag/dragon/

Remember, we have lots of Dragon threads on here. Best to keep this one as clear as possible until the event.
« Last Edit: 05/29/2014 04:50 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Mongo62

• Liked: 834
  • Likes Given: 156
Re: SpaceX: Dragon V2 Unveil - Discussion/Party Thread.
« Reply #1 on: 05/27/2014 10:26 pm »
Due to International Trade and Arms Regulations, this event is open to U.S. Citizens and Green Card holders only.  (Funny, as the title of the e-mail was "You're invited!" Boooooo! Not that I can afford the flight ;D)

For those who cannot attend in person, this event will also be webcast LIVE at www.spacex.com/webcast.

Is there a reason why, given that the event will be webcast (presumably worldwide), physical attendance is limited to US citizens and Green Card holders? This does not make a lot of sense to me.

I can only assume that some information will be restricted to the attendants, and will not be webcast.

Offline sublimemarsupial

• Liked: 261
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: 05/27/2014 10:30 pm »

Is there a reason why, given that the event will be webcast (presumably worldwide), physical attendance is limited to US citizens and Green Card holders? This does not make a lot of sense to me.

I can only assume that some information will be restricted to the attendants, and will not be webcast.

Probably facility restrictions since it is at the main Hawthorne site, which as I understand you pretty much have to be a US citizen or green card holder to enter.

Offline Chris Bergin

Probably facility restrictions since it is at the main Hawthorne site, which as I understand you pretty much have to be a US citizen or green card holder to enter.

Don't think so. They've invited me over knowing I'm English and I know there's some non US people been toured around the place. Some of them are members here.

Anyway, their call. It's webcast, that's all I care about! :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline braddock

• NSF Private Space Flight Editor
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #4 on: 05/27/2014 10:37 pm »
Any idea what the circular encoding around the dragon logo repesents?

Offline RocketGoBoom

• Idaho
  • Liked: 345
  • Likes Given: 315
« Reply #5 on: 05/27/2014 10:42 pm »
Here we go folks!

***MEDIA ADVISORY***

SpaceX CEO & Chief Designer Elon Musk to Unveil Dragon V2 Spacecraft

WHO:                    Elon Musk, CEO & Chief Designer, SpaceX

WHAT:                  Mr. Musk will introduce SpaceX’s new Dragon V2 spacecraft, a next generation spacecraft designed to carry astronauts into space.

WHERE:                SpaceX, 1 Rocket Road, Hawthorne, CA, 90250.

WHEN:                 Thursday, May 29. Check in begins at 6:00 p.m. PT; event begins at 7:00 p.m. PT.

Can you imagine another government contractor doing this?

I suspect Elon Musk is going to do this Tesla style like he did with the Model X reveal.

Watch this video if you want an idea of how his crew does things when they put on a show.

« Last Edit: 05/27/2014 10:43 pm by RocketGoBoom »

Offline Bubbinski

Maybe the code around the logo is Morse code? Not sure, and I'm afraid I don't know Morse code. Anyway I'll be tuned in!
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Online MP99

Yawn.<< That'll be me on the following morning, since this is a 3AM start for us Brits.

No effect on Chris, of course, since he never sleeps anyway.

Cheers, Martin

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 2231
  • Likes Given: 1584
« Reply #8 on: 05/27/2014 11:41 pm »

I suspect Elon Musk is going to do this Tesla style like he did with the Model X reveal.

Since Elon Musk's background is from Silicon Valley style business (PayPal), that kind of showmanship is expected.

Maybe he will emulate Tony Stark from the Iron Man movies and they'll have showgirls doing a dance number.  :)

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #9 on: 05/27/2014 11:43 pm »

Don't think so. They've invited me over knowing I'm English and I know there's some non US people been toured around the place. Some of them are members here.

Anyway, their call. It's webcast, that's all I care about! :)

its not a news conference as that might start in the morning.

Thursday, May 29. Check in begins at 6:00 p.m. PT; event begins at 7:00 p.m. PT.   

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Jcc

• Liked: 404
  • Likes Given: 203
« Reply #10 on: 05/27/2014 11:48 pm »
Maybe the code around the logo is Morse code? Not sure, and I'm afraid I don't know Morse code. Anyway I'll be tuned in!

Unfortunately not. Not a consistent set of dots and dashes, although a few could be Morse letters. I'm thinking a type of bar code used by a robotic system to identify a tool or object to pick up, and it's orientation. Or it could be somebody's idea of a cool design.

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #11 on: 05/28/2014 12:00 am »
prediction : This thread will be 20 pages long with about -40 decibel signal to noise ratio before the actual event starts. You can do it !
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #12 on: 05/28/2014 12:08 am »
Could the rings around the Dragon logo be a stylised representation of IDSS? Or perhaps a top down view of Dragon 2.
« Last Edit: 05/28/2014 12:15 am by nacnud »

Offline ncb1397

• Liked: 2310
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #13 on: 05/28/2014 12:22 am »
For what it is worth, the ratio of the diameter of the largest circle to the smallest circle is almost exactly the square root of 2.

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
« Reply #14 on: 05/28/2014 12:43 am »

You can control where the cameras are pointed, but not the attendees' eyeballs. And if a foreign person's eyeballs land on unclassified technical data subject to ITAR, it's considered an "export" under the law.

ITAR actually stands for International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
« Last Edit: 05/28/2014 12:46 am by mvpel »
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline JFARNS

• Pennsylvania
  • Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #15 on: 05/28/2014 12:50 am »
Any idea what the circular encoding around the dragon logo repesents?
Could it have to do with this?

Offline IanO

• Portland, OR
    • Portland State Aerospace Society
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #16 on: 05/28/2014 01:00 am »

Since Elon Musk's background is from Silicon Valley style business (PayPal), that kind of showmanship is expected.

Maybe he will emulate Tony Stark from the Iron Man movies and they'll have showgirls doing a dance number.  :)
Only if he gets the Rockettes!
psas.pdx.edu

Offline simmy2109

• United States
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: 05/28/2014 04:19 am »

While SpaceX does give tours to non-US citizens, each individual has to have a background check and other security checks.  This requires advance notice of those attending.  Technically, I don't believe any of the allowed tour areas expose any information that falls under ITAR.  The Dragon unveiling will not be ITAR.  However, freely allowing non-US citizens into your facility filled with ITAR information sounds like a recipe for criminal ITAR violations.

Honestly I don't think SpaceX cares one bit.  They've gone out of their way to get special clearances to hire some non-citizen employees.  But the federal government and their ITAR laws... professors have gone to jail over them.
« Last Edit: 05/28/2014 04:20 am by simmy2109 »

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: 05/28/2014 04:49 am »
Confirmed in my email: Livestream will carry the Dragon V2 unveil.

Link....

Dragon V2 Unveil

Thursday, May 29th, 2014 at 10:00 PM EDT on spacex

On Thursday, May 29, 2014, SpaceX will reveal Dragon V2 - SpaceX's next generation spacecraft designed to carry astronauts to space. The Unveil will be webcast LIVE beginning at 7:00 p.m. PT.
« Last Edit: 05/28/2014 04:52 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #19 on: 05/28/2014 07:59 am »

Damn, another late night! Or very early morning - 2100 PT is 0300 BST, if my googling is correct.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography