Author Topic: ORB-3 Launch viewing thread  (Read 15962 times)

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
Re: ORB-3 Launch viewing thread
« Reply #20 on: 10/28/2014 06:21 pm »
30% cloud cover in DC (109 miles) at 6 pm tonight is going to make things really tough.  Damn boat!   >:(

Probably a nice sunset though.   :P

Offline grythumn

• Liked: 167
  • Likes Given: 246
« Reply #21 on: 10/28/2014 07:33 pm »
Last attempt's thread is closed, so I'll post the pictures here. The close-up is from my new lens, a 1000mm F/10 mirror. It's slow, manual focus but definitely quite sharp. The other shots are from my older 75-300mm lens; as you can see it is not at it's best at 300mm.

The framing on the 1000mm lens is very tight at Arbuckle. It might be better suited to Old Ferry.

-Bob

Offline cpooley

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: 10/28/2014 10:37 pm »
Where will the failure, causes be discussed?   Appears one of the NK-33's blew up

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #23 on: 10/28/2014 11:05 pm »
Do we think this is the end of viewing at Arbuckle and other nearby sites like the Ferry Dock? 

On the one hand, the safety cordon proved sufficient and no one was hurt, just scared.  But something like this is bound to make people think, and the reflex is to layer on more and more security. 

I only hope that the powers that be remember that the safety zone and procedures were thoroughly considered well before this and apparently the precautions worked.

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #24 on: 10/28/2014 11:11 pm »
Do we think this is the end of viewing at Arbuckle and other nearby sites like the Ferry Dock? 

On the one hand, the safety cordon proved sufficient and no one was hurt, just scared.  But something like this is bound to make people think, and the reflex is to layer on more and more security. 

I only hope that the powers that be remember that the safety zone and procedures were thoroughly considered well before this and apparently the precautions worked.

Well there are quite a few expensive private homes at the same distance as those viewing sites, so if a greater security zone is going to be established, its going to mean enforced evacuations of residents. A consequence of that proposal might be push back by neighbors about limiting the use of Wallops for large rockets. Lots in flux right now.

Offline skymech231

• Out there thataway
  • Ft. Rucker, AL
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #25 on: 10/28/2014 11:25 pm »
Any word on how far away the sound of the blast was heard?
Semper Fi

Offline grythumn

• Liked: 167
  • Likes Given: 246
« Reply #26 on: 10/28/2014 11:32 pm »
Any word on how far away the sound of the blast was heard?

I didn't hear anything in Columbia, MD, about 120 mi away. Probably limited to the eastern eastern shore.

-Bob

Offline CardBoardBoxProcessor

• Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #27 on: 10/29/2014 01:08 am »
Nothing heard from Annapolis.

Offline Halidon

• whereabouts unknown
  • Liked: 180
  • Likes Given: 533
« Reply #28 on: 10/29/2014 02:21 am »
My parents live in Fairfax VA and they didn't hear anything.

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #29 on: 10/29/2014 02:31 am »
Nothing in Yorktown either. 

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #30 on: 10/29/2014 02:40 am »

Well there are quite a few expensive private homes at the same distance as those viewing sites, so if a greater security zone is going to be established, its going to mean enforced evacuations of residents. A consequence of that proposal might be push back by neighbors about limiting the use of Wallops for large rockets. Lots in flux right now.

I know it's super early, but I was heartened to hear a defense of the existing 8500' safety perimeter in tonight's initial press conference by Bill Wrobel, the Wallops facility director.  It remains to be seen if actual experience with mapping the debris pattern changes things.  The videos showed a strong southerly wind which spread smoke and other debris north along Wallops Island proper, rather than inward towards the mainland public areas.  Of course, ocean currents will likely have a greater impact on the spread of potentially dangerous debris than anything, but I'm not sure how that will change any closed areas in the future. 

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #31 on: 10/29/2014 12:09 pm »
I wonder what the boat skipper who violated the exclusion zone Monday is thinking right now...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #32 on: 10/30/2014 02:44 pm »
I wonder what the boat skipper who violated the exclusion zone Monday is thinking right now...

a lesson learned?  ::)
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline king1999

• F-Niner Fan
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 306
  • Likes Given: 1280
« Reply #33 on: 10/30/2014 10:57 pm »

There is a small (tiny) possibility that he may have caused it, if the problem was that an foreign object was introduced in the second fueling, or something was caused by the detanking/retanking.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #34 on: 10/30/2014 11:09 pm »
There is a small (tiny) possibility that he may have caused it, if the problem was that an foreign object was introduced in the second fueling, or something was caused by the detanking/retanking.
It would have had to been introduced into the LOX tank, I thought the Kero tank was not detanked between launch attempts.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #35 on: 10/30/2014 11:19 pm »

a lesson learned?  ::)
One would hope! :)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline John-H

• Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 219
« Reply #36 on: 10/30/2014 11:48 pm »

Thermal cycling of the oxygen tank?  Didn't the shuttle have problems with repeatedly filling the hydrogen tank?

John

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #37 on: 10/31/2014 12:09 am »

caused might be too strong;  contributing factor might be more of a possibility
« Last Edit: 10/31/2014 01:06 am by Prober »
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #38 on: 10/31/2014 01:01 am »
And remember just before Tuesday's launch there was a range issue announced on-net related to someone who had to move their car.

I wonder if they ended up moving their car far enough?  There was apparently a decent amount of car damage (again, according to what was said on net).

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #39 on: 10/31/2014 11:26 am »
I wonder if they ended up moving their car far enough?  There was apparently a decent amount of car damage (again, according to what was said on net).
Are they looking at a repeat of GPS IIR-1, or will it buff out?
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography