Author Topic: LIVE: Atlas V 541 - GOES-R - November 19, 2016  (Read 124157 times)

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3315
  • Likes Given: 1125
Re: Atlas V 541 - GOES-R - November 4, 2016 (21:40 UTC)
« Reply #40 on: 10/09/2016 07:38 pm »
Update on arrival of the booster

Sharks,

Good afternoon! The sun is out and the base is looking better each day as we get closer to being able to open up fully. Thank you again for your support and patience, we have a tremendous team and they continue to work hard to bring everything back on line. As a matter of fact we just cleared CCAFS to be able to accept a booster for the GOES-R launch--how appropriate that GOES is a weather satellite! We are returning to full mission capability and our status as the World's Premier Gateway to Space.

One Fight, One Team!!

Shark 1

Brig Gen Wayne Monteith
45th Space Wing Commander
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #41 on: 10/10/2016 01:12 am »
45th Space Wing back in business just 2 days, 13 hours and 43 minutes following Hurricane Matthew

Just minutes ago the 45th Space Wing received delivery of an Atlas V booster at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Oct. 9. The successful arrival proved the wings ability to get the mission back on track and proceed with operations leading up to the GOES-R launch, which ironically sends a new weather satellite into space.

The arrival of this launch hardware demonstrates the wing's diligent efforts to return to full mission capability just days following the storm. Cape Canaveral Air Force Station closed Oct. 6 in an effort to keep personnel and the installation safe during the storm and the wing expects to reopen the base to normal operations early this week.
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #42 on: 10/10/2016 08:52 pm »
Sharks

Good afternoon! We reopened the base an hour ago and continue working hard to restore everything to pre Hurricane Matthew conditions, which is why me and Chief Lamoureux wanted to share today's major operational mission milestone with you as we prove our status as the World’s Premier Gateway to Space. This morning we offloaded a ULA Atlas V booster that arrived last night for the upcoming GOES-R (Geosynchronous Operational Environmental Satellite) mission.

The GOES series of satellites were built as part of a collaborative effort between NOAA and NASA--two of our most important mission partners. The data from this satellite will provide real-time weather forecasting and warnings which was critical to all of us during Hurricane Matthew.

This critical satellite landed barely three days shy of being in the middle of a major weather event, just 25 miles off our coast. Conducting this operation in such short order speaks volumes to your unwavering dedication to our responsibility to this great Nation. We have had teams working around the clock and those efforts are making a real difference…and today's offload is just further proof. The wing is close to being back to 100% and this is a huge step in the right direction. We are extremely proud of what everyone on our team has accomplished.

In short…you rock!

VR

Shark 1

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7344
  • Likes Given: 71418
« Reply #43 on: 10/12/2016 07:05 pm »
RE: GOES-R launch hardware

This article, dated October 11, has a brief note regarding the Centaur's delivery:
Cape gets back into rocket business after Hurricane Matthew
Centaur was delivered to the Cape last month and was stored in a hangar for the storm.

The hangar in question would be the Atlas Spaceflight Operations Center (ASOC)?
« Last Edit: 10/12/2016 07:08 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #44 on: 10/12/2016 07:59 pm »
RE: GOES-R launch hardware

This article, dated October 11, has a brief note regarding the Centaur's delivery:
Cape gets back into rocket business after Hurricane Matthew
Centaur was delivered to the Cape last month and was stored in a hangar for the storm.

The hangar in question would be the Atlas Spaceflight Operations Center (ASOC)?

yes

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
« Reply #45 on: 10/12/2016 11:49 pm »
45th Space Wing at Patrick Air Force Base, Fla.

Wake up with The Weather Channel!

Brig. Gen. Wayne Monteith will be interviewed live at 8:40 a.m. tomorrow. He will be providing a #HurricaneMatthew update on current base conditions and the GOES-R launch status.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8582
  • Likes Given: 7675
« Reply #46 on: 10/14/2016 02:00 am »
Making a Weather Forecast with GOES-R

NOAA_Satellites

Published on Oct 13, 2016
GOES-R will keep an eye on Earth’s weather as it orbits 22,000 miles above. But how does your local weather forecaster know what GOES-R sees? Learn how GOES-R’s data is used for your local weather forecast in this animated video.

Credit: NOAA/NASA SciJinks

Written by Jessica Stoller-Conrad
Animation by Alexander Novati
Voice acting by Heather Klinke

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline cygnusx112

« Reply #47 on: 10/16/2016 04:08 pm »
Spaceflight Now is showing the launch has been delayed with a TBD. I would think it's because of the hurricane but has anyone else heard this? Thanks!

Offline Newton_V

• United States
  • Liked: 822
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #48 on: 10/16/2016 04:47 pm »
Spaceflight Now is showing the launch has been delayed with a TBD. I would think it's because of the hurricane but has anyone else heard this? Thanks!

Yes, due to hurricane.

Offline rtphokie

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #49 on: 10/17/2016 04:25 pm »
Anyone hear anything about a new launch date.  All ULA spokesperson will say is "at least several days" delay from the Nov 4 date.

Hearing rumors about a Nov 16 date being targeted.

Offline Chris Bergin

Delay:

Launch Delayed: Assessments Continue
Oct 18, 2016

NOAA continues to work with its partners -- NASA, United Launch Alliance (ULA) and the U.S. Air Force’s 45th Space Wing -- to assess the infrastructure and facilities necessary for GOES-R launch following Hurricane Matthew. Additional assessments are underway to fully understand the impact the storm had on local facilities. Before Hurricane Matthew, the launch date was set for November 4, 2016.

Once Matthew passed, the launch team began an initial assessment of the launch infrastructure and determined that a move of the launch date is needed based on the storm's impacts. ULA, for planning purposes, has requested a new range date of no earlier than November 16, pending approval from the 45th Space Wing. Throughout the storm, the GOES-R spacecraft remained safe inside Astrotech Space Operations, in Titusville, Fla. NOAA will provide an update as new details become available.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline vapour_nudge

• Australia
  • Liked: 266
  • Likes Given: 338
Re: Atlas V 541 - GOES-R - November 16, 2016 (21:40 UTC)
« Reply #51 on: 10/19/2016 12:32 am »
The Nov 16 launch has a launch window commencing at 21:42 UTC

Online catdlr

Re: Atlas V 541 - GOES-R - November 16, 2016 (21:42 UTC)
« Reply #52 on: 10/20/2016 11:32 pm »
GOES-R-- Americas New Weather Satellite

NASA Goddard

Published on Oct 20, 2016
The new generation GOES-R satellites will carry significant improvements and technology innovation on board. GOES-R will be able to deliver a full globe scan in only 5 minutes, compared to the 25 minutes needed for the same task with the current GOES satellites. GOES-Rs lightning mapper instrument is expected to improve warning lead time for severe storms and tornadoes by 50. This without a doubt will help predict severe weather in advance and save more lives. This reel is a compilation of finished productions about the GOES-R mission as well as supporting materials such as animations, visualizations, and still images.

This is a narrated video presents high level goals and capabilities of the GOES-R spacecraft.

Credit: NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center/Michael Starobin

This video is public domain and along with other supporting visualizations can be downloaded from the Scientific Visualization Studio at: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/10936

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Sam Ho

• Liked: 575
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #53 on: 10/23/2016 04:07 pm »
Engineers Prep to Encapsulate GOES-R For Launch
Posted on October 21, 2016 at 3:32 pm by Steven Siceloff.

Processing engineers are set to encapsulate the GOES-R weather satellite into its payload fairing at the Astrotech payload processing facility near NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The work is being performed as teams from NASA, United Launch Alliance and NOAA progress toward a liftoff on Nov. 16 from Space Launch Complex 41 aboard an Atlas V rocket. Launch time is 4:42 p.m. EDT.

The spacecraft, folded into launch position, will be enclosed inside the two halves of the fairing before being taken to the launch pad and positioned atop the Atlas V. The fairing will protect the spacecraft during the climb through the lower atmosphere, then the two pieces will be jettisoned as the rocket pushes GOES-R toward its final orbit more than 22,000 miles above Earth. Once in orbit and operational, GOES-R will use its advanced instruments to help weather forecasters on Earth predict storms and atmospheric conditions and to track environmental changes. Photos credit: NASA/Dimitri Gerondidakis

https://blogs.nasa.gov/kennedy/2016/10/21/engineers-prep-to-encapsulate-goes-r-for-launch/

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2343
  • Likes Given: 2057
« Reply #54 on: 10/25/2016 03:09 pm »
http://spaceflightnow.com/2016/10/24/goes-r-weather-satellites-ride-to-space-being-stacked-at-cape-canaveral/

Stacking for the AV-069 launch vehicle is underway.

First, the Common Core Booster gets erected. Next, the SRBs will be attached to the CCB. Then, the Centaur upper stage, interstage, and bottom half of the fairing are mounted on the CCB. The GOES-R satellite and the top half of the fairing will be mounted in early November.
« Last Edit: 10/25/2016 03:10 pm by ZachS09 »
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7344
  • Likes Given: 71418
« Reply #55 on: 10/25/2016 05:22 pm »
Stacking for the AV-069 launch vehicle is underway.
Specific dates from the article:

October 24: Common Core Booster (CCB) erection in Vertical Integration Facility (VIF).

October 25-28: 4 SRBs will be attached to the CCB.

October 29: The unit of Centaur upper stage, interstage, and bottom half of the 5 meter fairing are mounted on the CCB.

The GOES-R satellite and the top half of the fairing will be mounted in early November.

Will there be a WDR? Or has the customer chosen against this option?
« Last Edit: 10/25/2016 05:22 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21448
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #56 on: 10/25/2016 07:19 pm »
no need for a WDR

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8555
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #57 on: 10/26/2016 09:39 am »
The United Launch Alliance Atlas V first stage has been lifted to the vertical position inside the Vertical Integration Facility at Space Launch Complex 41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite (GOES-R) will launch aboard the Atlas V rocket in November. GOES-R will be the first satellite in a series of next-generation NOAA GOES Satellites. Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett
Jacques :-)

Online catdlr

« Reply #58 on: 10/29/2016 12:30 am »
GOES-R Launch Sequence and Deployments

NOAA_Satellites

Published on Oct 28, 2016
What happens once the GOES-R satellite is launched? This video from Lockheed Martin explains the process, from launch vehicle separation to solar array and antenna deployment to orbit raising maneuvers, transition to storage orbit and finally GOES-R normal operations.

Credit: Lockheed Martin

Online catdlr

« Reply #59 on: 11/01/2016 03:07 am »
October 31, 2016
MEDIA ADVISORY M16-130

NASA Sets GOES-R/Atlas V Launch Events Coverage   

The first spacecraft in a new series of NASA-built advanced geostationary weather satellites is set to launch into orbit aboard a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket Wednesday, Nov. 16. The two-hour launch window opens at 4:42 p.m. EST. Liftoff will occur from Space Launch Complex 41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.

News briefings, live launch commentary, photo opportunities and other media events will be held at nearby NASA Kennedy Space Center, and carried live on NASA Television and the agency’s website.

Once in geostationary orbit, GOES-R will be known as GOES-16 and will provide images of weather patterns and severe storms as regularly as every five minutes or as frequently as every 30 seconds. These images can be used to aid in weather forecasts, severe weather outlooks, watches and warnings, lightning conditions, maritime forecasts and aviation forecasts. It also will assist in longer term forecasting, such as in seasonal predictions and drought outlooks. In addition, space weather conditions will be monitored constantly, including the effects of solar flares to provide advance notice of potential communication and navigation disruptions. It also will assist researchers in understanding the interactions between land, oceans, the atmosphere and climate.

NASA TV Events Schedule

For all media briefings, reporters may ask questions by calling the Kennedy newsroom at 321-867-2468 no later than 15 minutes before briefings begin. Media also can ask questions via Twitter by using the hashtag #askNASA. All times are Eastern.

Monday, Nov. 14

1 p.m. – Prelaunch news conference at Kennedy’s Press Site

Briefing participants are:

Stephen Volz, assistant administrator for satellite and information services, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
Sandra Smalley, director, Joint Agency Satellite Division, NASA Headquarters
Omar Baez, launch director, NASA Kennedy
Scott Messer, program manager, NASA Missions, United Launch Alliance
Greg Mandt, GOES-R system program director, NOAA
Clay Flinn, launch weather officer, 45th Weather Squadron, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station
2 p.m. – GOES-R Mission Briefing

Briefing participants include:

Steven Goodman, GOES-R program scientist, NOAA
Laura Furgione, deputy director, National Weather Service
Sandra Cauffman, deputy director, Earth Science Division, NASA Headquarters
Tuesday, Nov. 15

1 p.m. – GOES-R NASA Social presentations

Wednesday, Nov. 16

3 p.m. – Prelaunch program by NASA EDGE

4 p.m. -- Launch coverage and commentary begins

Live coverage will also be available via social media at:

http://www.twitter.com/NASAKennedy

https://www.facebook.com/NASAKennedy

Live countdown coverage through NASA's Launch Blog begins at 2:15 p.m. p.m. Nov. 16. Coverage features live updates as countdown milestones occur, as well as video clips highlighting launch preparations and liftoff. For NASA’s Launch Blog, visit:

http://blogs.nasa.gov/goes-r

To view the webcast or to learn more about the GOES-R mission, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/goes

-end-

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography