Author Topic: The Soyuz "Flyabout" Picture Update Thread  (Read 106861 times)

Offline Scia

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
The Soyuz "Flyabout" Picture Update Thread
« on: 05/26/2011 11:22 pm »
The pictures where taken on the 23'rd and they said that it would only take a day or two for them to be made public.

Does anyone have any idea when they will be released?

Links:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2011/05/soyuz-tma-20-historic-photographic-event-landing/

Good starting point for some info:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=25245.msg745438#msg745438

EDIT: NOW AVAILABLE:
START HERE:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=25290.msg753257#msg753257
« Last Edit: 06/07/2011 06:26 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
Re: Where are the Soyuz Fly about pictures?
« Reply #1 on: 05/26/2011 11:27 pm »
They are presumably in Korolyev now.

Offline pippin

• Regular
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #2 on: 05/26/2011 11:29 pm »
let's replace "presumably" with "hopefully".

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #3 on: 05/26/2011 11:30 pm »
The memory cards containing the pictures/video are still inside the Soyuz descent module, which was due to be airlifted today from Kazakhstan to RSC Energia's plant in Moscow. Once there, the cards will be retrieved, and the images will be released.

NASA have said that it will be next week at least before the images are released.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Scia

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: 05/26/2011 11:49 pm »
The memory cards containing the pictures/video are still inside the Soyuz descent module, which was due to be airlifted today from Kazakhstan to RSC Energia's plant in Moscow. Once there, the cards will be retrieved, and the images will be released.

NASA have said that it will be next week at least before the images are released.
Why does it take so long to just publish some pictures?

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #5 on: 05/26/2011 11:53 pm »

Why does it take so long to just publish some pictures?

NASA were originally intending to make digital copies of the images at the landing site, which would have meant that they could be released within one day.

However, that plan changed (we don't know why), and so now NASA must wait for the Soyuz to arrive in Moscow, so that RSC Energia will have access to the Soyuz to remove the image cards, so that they can be sent either physically or electronically to the US for release.

In short: NASA must wait for RSC Energia to transport the Soyuz to Moscow and unload it, which takes about one week.
« Last Edit: 05/26/2011 11:54 pm by Space Pete »

Offline Skylab

• Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #6 on: 05/26/2011 11:58 pm »
In short: NASA must wait for RSC Energia to transport the Soyuz to Moscow and unload it, which takes about one week.
Can you explain why it takes a whole week? I can imagine safing the vehicle, moving it to an airfield for loading into a transport plane (or lifting it in situ with a helicopter). This just seems rather long for either scenario.

Offline toddbronco2

• Pasadena, CA
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #7 on: 05/27/2011 12:02 am »
Although these pictures are eagerly anticipated by some of us, in the end they're just photos and it doesn't make a big difference whether we get them tomorrow or a week from now.   The bigger question is why would they modify their Soyuz post-flight safing and processing just to get some digital photos off?

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #8 on: 05/27/2011 12:49 am »
Hmm...I think I may have come up with a theory as to why the plan to retrieve the cards immediately post-landing was changed.

As noted in the Soyuz TMA-20 thread, the descent module entered into a spin & tumble following drogue chute deploy:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=25119.msg746396#msg746396

Now, assuming that Paolo didn't securely stow the cards in the descent module (all cargo bags would've been firmly secured prior to undocking, preventing them from being opened to insert the cards), I wonder, what is the possibility that the memory cards came loose from their stowage location during the tumble, and thus got lost somewhere in the descent module?

It would explain why NASA need to wait for the capsule to arrive in Moscow - so that RSC Energia can take everything out and go over it with a fine toothcomb to find the cards.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: 05/27/2011 12:49 am by Space Pete »

Offline Andy USA

• Lead Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 255
« Reply #9 on: 05/27/2011 01:02 am »
Added some links to the opening post to help.

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #10 on: 05/29/2011 09:34 pm »
If NASA releases the images on the same night as the STS-135 rollout/STS-134 landing that would be a great trifecta.  Maybe have a NASA TV special combining the rollout of Atlantis with the undocking images, STS-134 launch/Soyuz landing highlights, the music calls for the astronauts (or other music scores), interviews with astronauts and workers, and ending with the STS-134 landing.  That would be a really good thing to show on landing night.

Edited to clean up grammar.
« Last Edit: 05/29/2011 09:36 pm by Bubbinski »
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #11 on: 05/29/2011 10:59 pm »
where are the Soyuz  Fly about pictures?

Lens cap?  ;)

- Ed Kyle

Offline pargoo

• Lifelong space fan
  • Australia
    • Buran - wait, the Russians had a Space Shuttle?
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: 05/30/2011 05:49 am »
     I doubt the Russians really care about photography, judging from the yawning chasm sitting where their published photo history ought to reside.  They probably would have regarded the eagerness to obtain and copy the cards as treading on their toes - butt out, Amerikanskis!  I'm still very surprised they agreed to it in the first place.  Assuming the cards *are* found, they won't rush.  Why do so when it just provides NASA positive publicity just as the Shuttle is winding up and Russia is regaining its monopoly on manned spaceflight - okay, apart from the Chinese, but they don't really count as far as ISS is concerned.

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #13 on: 05/30/2011 05:57 am »
     I doubt the Russians really care about photography, judging from the yawning chasm sitting where their published photo history ought to reside.  They probably would have regarded the eagerness to obtain and copy the cards as treading on their toes - butt out, Amerikanskis!  I'm still very surprised they agreed to it in the first place.  Assuming the cards *are* found, they won't rush.  Why do so when it just provides NASA positive publicity just as the Shuttle is winding up and Russia is regaining its monopoly on manned spaceflight - okay, apart from the Chinese, but they don't really count as far as ISS is concerned.

This post is highly disconnected with reality. It was the Russians who originally proposed the Soyuz photography of the STS-71 undocking in 1995. The Russians were highly enthusiastic about NASA's proposal for Soyuz photography of STS-133 and worked very hard to make it happen, but ultimately there were too many unknowns with the new Soyuz. And for the STS-134 Soyuz flyabout, it was a last minute conversation between Suffredini and Krasnov that got it turned back on.
JRF

Offline DavisSTS

• England, American Ex Pat
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #14 on: 05/30/2011 07:13 am »

Someone didn't read any of the news articles on this site, I see.

Offline pargoo

• Lifelong space fan
  • Australia
    • Buran - wait, the Russians had a Space Shuttle?
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: 05/30/2011 10:00 am »
     True, I admit I didn't read those posts.   I still can't shake the memories I have of the Soviet-era mentality I grew up with.  Tell you what: when they let Westerners freely into their photo archives I'll join a monastery :)

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #16 on: 05/30/2011 01:49 pm »
It looks like RKK Energia is taking Memorial Day weekend off.

Offline Skylon

• Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #17 on: 05/30/2011 04:41 pm »
This post is highly disconnected with reality. It was the Russians who originally proposed the Soyuz photography of the STS-71 undocking in 1995. The Russians were highly enthusiastic about NASA's proposal for Soyuz photography of STS-133 and worked very hard to make it happen, but ultimately there were too many unknowns with the new Soyuz. And for the STS-134 Soyuz flyabout, it was a last minute conversation between Suffredini and Krasnov that got it turned back on.

To add, I recall NASA was uneasy about the STS-71 undocking photography because, unlike this recent ISS Soyuz flyabout, it required leaving Mir unmanned during Atlantis' undocking. Mir ended up suffering a power failure and the Soyuz crew had to re-dock earlier than anticipated.

Offline saturnapollo

• Edinburgh, UK
    • Space Models Photography
  • Liked: 230
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #18 on: 05/30/2011 05:16 pm »
Leroy Cain has just stated that they are not expected before 6 June!

Keith

Offline Paul Howard

• Veteran
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #19 on: 05/30/2011 05:33 pm »
Chris said it best on the FD15 thread.

The photos will come when they come, I'm only interested in Endeavour coming home safe to be honest. It's about priorities, and that's no contest.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography