Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : BulgariaSat-1 : June 23, 2017 : DISCUSSION  (Read 196541 times)

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
Booster tail number confirmed yet?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline vanoord

• Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 106
If I recall correctly:  B1029 - first used for Iridium 1 from Vandenberg on 14th January.

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
During the post-launch CRS-11 presser, Chris G asked Hans K to comment on this upcoming launch, specifically that the second stage would have to loiter for 6 hours before a restart.  Hans seemed surprised by that information.  Any more info on that?  I'm finding no mention of it here or in the updates thread.
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
During the post-launch CRS-11 presser, Chris G asked Hans K to comment on this upcoming launch, specifically that the second stage would have to loiter for 6 hours before a restart.  Hans seemed surprised by that information.  Any more info on that?  I'm finding no mention of it here or in the updates thread.

That was Stephen Clark, not Chris G.  Hans seemed to think the information was wrong and said he'd look into it.  I don't think there is any other information.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Looks like the satellite arrived at the Cape at least 3 weeks ago (found a link to this press release on a Bulgarian forum post dated May 12).

SSL Satellite Built for Bulgaria Sat Arrives at Cape Canaveral Launch Base for Falcon 9 Launch
Space Systems Loral (SSL), a leading provider of innovative satellites and spacecraft systems, today announced that the BulgariaSat-1 satellite, designed and built for Bulgaria Sat, an affiliate of Bulsatcom, which is a leading telecommunications company and the largest provider of pay-TV services in Bulgaria, has arrived at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, where it will be launched aboard a space-proven Falcon 9 vehicle provided by SpaceX. BulgariaSat-1 will be Bulgaria’s first satellite. SSL is a subsidiary of MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates, Ltd. (TSX:MDA), a global communications and information company.

“SSL has a history of working closely with new satellite operators to help them move their businesses forward,” said John Celli, president of SSL. “We are pleased that this first satellite ever built for a company in Bulgaria has safely arrived at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, and look forward to BulgariaSat-1 making history as the second satellite ever to launch on a Falcon 9 that has flown a previous mission. Launch vehicle reuse is an important enabler for the satellite industry.”

BulgariaSat-1 will provide high quality Direct-to-Home television and telecommunications services in the Balkans and other European regions. It is equipped with 30 Ku-band BSS transponders to broaden the availability of advanced television services such as high definition television.

“BulgariaSat-1 is an essential part of Bulsatcom’s strategy to expand high quality TV and communications offerings to meet customer demand,” said Maxim Zayakov, chief executive officer of Bulgaria Sat. “SSL has been an excellent partner in helping us make our vision a reality and we eagerly await next month’s launch.”

Based on the powerful SSL 1300 platform, the satellite is designed to provide service for 15 years or more. The satellite will be the second ever to be launched on a previously flown Falcon 9 rocket.

Offline IanThePineapple

This is a rather light sat for F9 GTO

Offline DOCinCT

Looks like the satellite arrived at the Cape at least 3 weeks ago [snipped]
That sounds about right.
"For standard service processing and integration, payloads should be delivered to the launch site four weeks prior to launch." Pg 53 Falcon User Guide Rev 2
"All spacecraft processing operations within the PPF must be completed by L-10 days to allow for mating to the payload adapter, fairing encapsulation and transportation to the launch vehicle integration hangar in preparation for launch." Pg. 54

Online Herb Schaltegger

This is a rather light sat for F9 GTO

Bulgaria is a rather small country. :)

More seriously, that generally translates to few/smaller spot-beams transponders and corresponding waveguides/antennas, etc. Lighter payload for the satellite bus means longer life for the small mass of station-keeping propellant, etc.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline IanThePineapple

I wonder if this sat would be light enough for an RTLS on a Block 5...

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965

Just barely, if at all. I'm estimating the RTLS GTO payload for Block 5 at about 3600 kg.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
In other words, playing it unjustifiably tight with margins for error and underperformance. Unless the vehicle is extremely lightweight, I suspect that they'll be using OCISLY as always with GSO-bound payloads.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline NotOnImpact

• Texas
  • Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 113
The first stage looks downright shiny.  Is it a new one afterall?   The interstage is definitely used.

http://wereportspace.com/2017/06/04/spacex-re-flies-dragon-capsule-crs-11/)

Online fthomassy

• Austin, Texas, Earth, Sol, Orion, Milky-Way, Virgo, Bang 42
  • Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 2952
The first stage looks downright shiny.  Is it a new one afterall?   The interstage is definitely used.

You're in the thread for Bulgariasat but you posted a link regarding CRS-11.
But the rocket on transporter is for BulgariaSat, is it not?
gyatm . . . Fern

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 531
  • Likes Given: 470

There's a Flickr gallery at the bottom of the article that shows what is speculated to be the BulgariaSat-1 booster being transported from SLC-40 to Pad 39A after the CRS-11 launch.

As photographers were picking up their remote cameras outside of Pad 39A, a Beyel Brothers transport rolled past carrying what appears to be the newly painted Falcon 9 core that flew on CRS-8 and SES-10. The grid fins and legs were missing, but the mounting hardware for the legs was visible and covers were installed where the grid fins should have been. It seems hardly accidental that SpaceX arranged for the transport of that historic booster during the time that the media would be at Pad 39A. SpaceX CEO Elon Musk has indicated that the core would be on display in Cape Canaveral.

(The SES-10 booster has since been ruled out due differences in the interstage soot markings)

It could be, but we don't know for sure. It could also be from CRS-10 or NROL-76.
« Last Edit: 06/05/2017 10:37 pm by old_sellsword »

Offline S.Paulissen

• Boston
  • Liked: 334
  • Likes Given: 511

Just barely, if at all. I'm estimating the RTLS GTO payload for Block 5 at about 3600 kg.

Isn't 3600kg the gto throw mass of the falcon9 v1? 

Actually I looked it up, it was actually 3400kg to -1800m/s.  Wow, Block 5 outperforms expendable Falcon9 1.0v while in RTLS mode.  :/

Source: http://www.spacelaunchreport.com/falcon9.html
"An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very narrow field." -Niels Bohr
Poster previously known as Exclavion going by his real name now.

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 651

No, that's the around the Cape transporter. The cross country transporter is different
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Offline old_sellsword

No, that's the around the Cape transporter. The cross country transporter is different

What does that have to do with what rocket the mission is flying?
« Last Edit: 06/05/2017 10:40 pm by old_sellsword »

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384

Maybe they have started doing a basic wash as part of the landing site processing.

But this is not going to be the BulgariaSat core, so this should be posted elsewhere.

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
Maybe they have started doing a basic wash as part of the landing site processing.

But this is not going to be the BulgariaSat core, so this should be posted elsewhere.

I'm pretty certain the images at the bottom *aren't* the just-landed CRS-11 booster, but a refurbished one. The interstage has been touched up in places and the flexible TPS around the engines looks brand new. It's plausible this is the BulgariaSat booster moving into LC-39A hangar now that CRS-11 is off the ground so it does make sense to have this posted here.

Offline old_sellsword

How can you say that with certainty?
« Last Edit: 06/06/2017 10:05 am by old_sellsword »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography