Author Topic: SpaceX McGregor Testing Updates and Discussion THREAD 2  (Read 473151 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Thread 2 for McGregor testing. Please keep specific to the thread title. Make sure your post is useful and adds to the thread. The last one was viewed in the six figure range again, so remember when you post, your post will be seen by a heck of a lot of people, so don't disappoint them! ;D

Thread 1:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=28332.0

--

Related News Articles - for Merlin 1D (articles include links to Grasshopper etc...but we'll keep this thread on the firings):

SpaceX joy at Merlin 1D test:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/06/spacex-merlin-1d-orbital-fire-aj-26-engine/

Falcon 9 boost as Merlin 1D engine achieves major milestone:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/03/falcon-9-boost-merlin-1d-engine-achieves-milestone/

(Sister Articles:)

Testing times for SpaceX’s new Falcon 9 v.1.1:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/06/testing-times-spacexs-new-falcon-9-v-1-1/

And:

Reducing risk via ground testing is a recipe for SpaceX success:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/06/reducing-risk-ground-testing-recipe-spacex-success/

--

L2 SpaceX Section:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?action=tags&tags=SpaceX
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline PreferToLurk

• Liked: 388
  • Likes Given: 189
Re: SpaceX McGregor Testing Updates and Discussion THREAD 2
« Reply #1 on: 06/22/2013 01:38 am »
So...  Jump right back into base overheat issues?  No??  Ok. Ok.  :P

How about some serious questions to get this thread started:

Will SpaceX need to take the stage down to swap out all 9 engines, or will they swap them on the stand? 

How long is this expected to take? 

Supposedly, if everything goes perfectly, the August/September time frame for the CASSIOPE flight is still in play.  They can't take too long to get this thing acceptance fired.  One engine took a couple days. Are there major efficiencies to be had in swapping all of them at once, or do we expect this to take nearly 3 weeks? -- 2 days times 9 engines + a day or two of slippage.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #2 on: 06/22/2013 01:43 am »
More generally, anyone know what we're likely to see next? Wet dress rehearsal? Or is there something else first?
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #3 on: 06/22/2013 02:04 pm »
They need to qualify the new upper stage, which I assume has significant changes due to the difference between Merlin 1C and Merlin 1D, although those changes should be less drastic than the first stage mods.

They need to flight qualify the first stage with flight engines.

They need to pack up the whole assembly and ship to VAFB for fit checks on the Pad. I assume they also need to perform those cold-flow tests to make sure the fluids movement checks out.

I suppose they could do a hot-fire with just the first and stage stages stacked on the pad (no fairing / payload).

Lots of work left to go before this gets off the ground...

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: 06/22/2013 02:42 pm »
So...  Jump right back into base overheat issues?  No??  Ok. Ok.  :P

How about some serious questions to get this thread started:

Will SpaceX need to take the stage down to swap out all 9 engines, or will they swap them on the stand?

Padrat, a SpaceXer, has already posted that the flight engines will be swapped in on the stand, the stage tested, then the stage will be shipped to Vandenberg.

How long is this expected to take? 

TBD, but these guys don't seem to waste much time.
DM

Offline krytek

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: 06/25/2013 08:25 pm »
I believe launch is now set for September. No time to waste. 

Offline daver

• Regular
  • South Carolina
  • Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 951
« Reply #6 on: 07/02/2013 10:51 pm »
Looks like another loud test for tomorrow (Wednesday).

http://www.wacotrib.com/blogs/joe_science/spacex-test-in-works-as-nasa-milestones-reached-russians-lose/article_e89db09c-e35a-11e2-8996-001a4bcf887a.html

"SpaceX is planning to run another test at our rocket development facility in McGregor, Texas that will be significantly louder than the typical tests we run daily. This test will be similar in scope to recent tests, running from seconds in duration up to several minutes. The earliest possible date for the upcoming test is Wed., July 3rd."

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #7 on: 07/02/2013 11:12 pm »
"SpaceX is planning to run another test at our rocket development facility in McGregor, Texas that will be significantly louder than the typical tests we run daily. This test will be similar in scope to recent tests, running from seconds in duration up to several minutes. The earliest possible date for the upcoming test is Wed., July 3rd."

Everybody has told me I was wrong and SpaceX is done with qualification testing. But this sounds to me like another attempt on doing the 3 minutes qualification run. Not like an acceptance burn for the flight stage.

I'm prepared to hear again, how wrong I am. ;)

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #8 on: 07/02/2013 11:14 pm »
Everybody has told me I was wrong and SpaceX is done with qualification testing. But this sounds to me like another attempt on doing the 3 minutes qualification run. Not like an acceptance burn for the flight stage.

There's more than one launch this year.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #9 on: 07/02/2013 11:18 pm »

What it sounds like is a generic public announcement that's entirely consistent with an upcoming acceptance test of the flight engines that have been swapped into the stage.

Glad you were prepared for dissenting opinions. Didn't take long, did it?  ;)

Offline PreferToLurk

• Liked: 388
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #10 on: 07/02/2013 11:28 pm »

Well, since you're already prepared...

Quote from: Ms. Ra
SpaceX completed first-stage development testing on June 19 with a firing that achieved all verifications needed following earlier stage testing. With this test, we have achieved the equivalent of nearly two full mission duty cycles on the integrated stage.  We are now moving into the stage acceptance tests and final preparations for flight.

1.0 acceptance firings were of various lengths, with no solid explanation given as to the variations. Presumably, as they tested and learned more about how their integrated stages behaved, they were able to shorten the acceptance tests. No reason to believe this one would be any different. They will need a longer acceptance firing for the first 1.1 stage than they will subsequent stages. And of course the test may abort.  All of what we know (including the recent notification of a "test of unusual loudness") still point directly to qualification testing being done -- especially the direct quote from Ms. Ra, who might appreciate it (if she read this forum) if you would stop calling her a liar.

edit -- grammar
« Last Edit: 07/02/2013 11:33 pm by PreferToLurk »

Offline GBpatsfan

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #11 on: 07/05/2013 07:39 am »
Looks like the first stage acceptance firing occurred. Looks like the burn was 114 seconds in the video, but it appears that they started recording after the firing had already commenced.

« Last Edit: 07/05/2013 02:39 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Norm38

• Liked: 1272
  • Likes Given: 2317
« Reply #12 on: 07/05/2013 12:29 pm »
From the smoke drifting off to the left, it looks like the recording only started 10-20 seconds late.
The engines cut out at 1:54, so total burn is ~125-135 seconds.

Are these the new flight engines then?
« Last Edit: 07/05/2013 01:44 pm by Norm38 »

Offline Lurker Steve

• Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #13 on: 07/05/2013 03:06 pm »

There's more than one launch this year.

You mean there is more than 1 launch SCHEDULED for this year.

Offline Okie_Steve

• Oklahoma, USA
  • Liked: 1141
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #14 on: 07/05/2013 05:26 pm »

It seems likely. If they take the stage down and ship it to the west coast that will pretty much clinch it.

In other news, I wonder how the energy content of those "fireworks" compares to all the stuff shot off around the country yesterday. :-)

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #15 on: 07/06/2013 02:02 am »
Grasshopper flight 6
1,066 feet (325 m)
14 June 2013

"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #16 on: 07/06/2013 04:20 pm »
Interesting that there are navigation sensors to allow autonomous precision landing.  Might the same sensor outfit end up on Dragonrider for its propulsive landing?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline justineet

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #17 on: 07/06/2013 05:55 pm »
Very interesting Jul 4th Space X test....it's a clean 2 minutes burn test. But it's not clear whether this is another F9-R test with all 9 engines and the full length of the test was recorded from the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUv9srtx9KE#at=21

Offline ClaytonBirchenough

• ~ 1 AU
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 348
« Reply #18 on: 07/06/2013 06:53 pm »
Interesting that there are navigation sensors to allow autonomous precision landing.  Might the same sensor outfit end up on Dragonrider for its propulsive landing?

I imagine these Grasshopper landings would help towards DragonRider propulsive precision landings... it would make sense to outfit DragonRider with the same sensors.
Clayton Birchenough

Offline justineet

• Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #19 on: 07/06/2013 07:24 pm »
From the smoke drifting off to the left, it looks like the recording only started 10-20 seconds late.
The engines cut out at 1:54, so total burn is ~125-135 seconds.

If the engine cutoff at 1:54 mark and the recording started about 20 seconds late, then the total burn is about 174 or 180 seconds which is 3 minutes full burn. In my opinion looking at the drifting smoke, the recording started about 25-30 seconds late. That will make the test a 3 minute complete burn test Space X was planning to do from the beginning...so this is the complete 3-minute burn test in my humble opinion.....I think it will soon be verified when Space X releases the official recording.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography