Author Topic: Discovery: Deservicing and Retirement Updates  (Read 281502 times)

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
Re: Discovery: Deservicing and Retirement Updates
« Reply #40 on: 03/16/2011 09:01 pm »
I know they want to replace the SSME's with just some replica end-cones, so they can re-use the engines for SDLV development, but I would rather have at least 1 SSME end up in a display right next to the shuttle.

They have one right beside the Enterprise now.

They do indeed.

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: 03/16/2011 09:15 pm »
I like the walkway idea. Udvar-Hazy already has a walkway around the borders of the room Enterprise is in, so they could just add to that network in the center of the room.

Actually, there isn't.  There's one stairway and viewing platform just off of Enterprise's right wing, but no walkway around the room like there is in the main hanger area.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #42 on: 03/16/2011 09:24 pm »
I like the walkway idea. Udvar-Hazy already has a walkway around the borders of the room Enterprise is in, so they could just add to that network in the center of the room.

Actually, there isn't.  There's one stairway and viewing platform just off of Enterprise's right wing, but no walkway around the room like there is in the main hanger area.
It's not like the spiral staircase(s) in the other room(s), but part of the second level walkway does provide an elevated view of the right side of the vehicle from the front (first pic; view somewhat obstructed when these were taken last year).
« Last Edit: 03/16/2011 09:28 pm by psloss »

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: 03/16/2011 09:32 pm »
It's not like the spiral staircase(s) in the other room(s), but part of the second level walkway does provide an elevated view of the right side of the vehicle from the front (first pic; view somewhat obstructed when these were taken last year).

I forgot about that one, and of course there's the big walkway in the main room which gives an elevated view through the doorway.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #44 on: 03/16/2011 09:51 pm »
If they decide on displaying her in a "dynamic" pose I'd vote for hanging her inverted (at a slight angle) from the ET attach points with open PBD's, some payloads in the bay and a simulated EVA by a suspended EMU to show scale. The SRM and OBSS could be outstretched showing how it scanned the chin area for example.

The gangways could pass close to the vehicle but not allow touching.

Showing her in a OPF style of display would be less impressive IMO.

I may be totally out to lunch here, but I don't think that's practicable from an engineering standpoint.  In a 1G environment, if the PBD's are open, aren't the strongbacks required?  And since the OBSS and SRMS are not meant to be operated (or out of their mounting positions) in a 1G environment, wouldn't some additional bracing be required to have them extended in a mock operational position?  And I would think that this would visibly detract from the effort to depict them in an "operational" position.

I was thinking of having them braced and supported since they can't move under 1 g. The braces have to be accepted. Might be enough to use thin wires from the ceiling. The PBD strongbacks will be hidden and can withstand the force of the straps used.

Also, I hope they won't cut holes in the orbiter for public access.

The Smithsonian's plan (as far as we all know) is to display Discovery like Enterprise is displayed: on her wheels with the payload bay doors closed.

The Kennedy Space Center visitor complex has a very bold plan to display an orbiter in a dynamic configuration as if she were in space.

http://media.kennedyspacecenter.com/kennedy/orbitermasterplan.htm
« Last Edit: 03/16/2011 09:52 pm by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline JayP

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #45 on: 03/16/2011 10:00 pm »

I grabbed a floor plan from the Udvar-Hazy website and did some really rough photoshop work. Here is the before and after. I haven't event tried to consider where supports would go.

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #46 on: 03/16/2011 10:17 pm »
If they decide on displaying her in a "dynamic" pose I'd vote for hanging her inverted (at a slight angle) from the ET attach points with open PBD's, some payloads in the bay and a simulated EVA by a suspended EMU to show scale. The SRM and OBSS could be outstretched showing how it scanned the chin area for example.

The gangways could pass close to the vehicle but not allow touching.

Showing her in a OPF style of display would be less impressive IMO.

I may be totally out to lunch here, but I don't think that's practicable from an engineering standpoint.  In a 1G environment, if the PBD's are open, aren't the strongbacks required?  And since the OBSS and SRMS are not meant to be operated (or out of their mounting positions) in a 1G environment, wouldn't some additional bracing be required to have them extended in a mock operational position?  And I would think that this would visibly detract from the effort to depict them in an "operational" position.

I was thinking of having them braced and supported since they can't move under 1 g. The braces have to be accepted. Might be enough to use thin wires from the ceiling. The PBD strongbacks will be hidden and can withstand the force of the straps used.

Also, I hope they won't cut holes in the orbiter for public access.

The Smithsonian's plan (as far as we all know) is to display Discovery like Enterprise is displayed: on her wheels with the payload bay doors closed.

The Kennedy Space Center visitor complex has a very bold plan to display an orbiter in a dynamic configuration as if she were in space.

http://media.kennedyspacecenter.com/kennedy/orbitermasterplan.htm

Impressive. If they can pull that off it would be pretty amazing.

I like the concept drawing; it shows the shuttle "at work", with an astronaut at the end of the RMS, along with other hardware in the payload bay.

The difficult part it seems to me would be the very large earth view. If they could set up a large backlit transparency taken from a real earth view, not a painting, it has the potential to take your breath away when you walk into the exhibit hall - a real shuttle, displayed "on the job", in all her glory, against a gigantic earth backdrop. Better still would be some sort of back projection of a moving earth!

I recall during my KSC visit in 2008, on the Shuttle Experience ride, how disappointed I was with the earth view once our "payload bay" doors opened.  If the proposed shuttle display can use real images, still or video, that would be something to see. I'd wait in line hours for that! (and would probably have to!) :)
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #47 on: 03/17/2011 02:18 pm »
I hope they will have a special ceremony for each orbiter for the final trip to the SLF and departure.

Offline Mark Dave

• Ruined
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #48 on: 03/18/2011 02:21 pm »
I heard one of the orbiters might be in Chicago. That would be awesome. :)

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #49 on: 03/18/2011 02:31 pm »

Honestly, at one point or another, I have heard they "might be" at just about every point on the map.  ;)
Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Offline Aobrien

• Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #50 on: 03/18/2011 03:36 pm »

Honestly, at one point or another, I have heard they "might be" at just about every point on the map.  ;)
Haha nope not Tampa  ;)
I'll be happy just of one goes to KSC. One they deserve it for being the host of all the launches and etc
And two it would be close enough to not be a hassle to go over and see  ;)
But that's all another thread. Back to Discovery
NSF L2=The Ultimate Space Passport

Offline e of pi

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Liked: 297
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #51 on: 03/18/2011 04:24 pm »
I grabbed a floor plan from the Udvar-Hazy website and did some really rough photoshop work. Here is the before and after. I haven't event tried to consider where supports would go.
That looks like it would be pretty cool. I'm not sure how possible/expensive it would be, but it'd definitely be a fun exhibit to see.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #52 on: 03/22/2011 08:28 pm »
Crews in Orbiter Processing Facility-2 at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida remove space shuttle Discovery's right-hand inner heat shield from engine No. 1. The removal is part of Discovery's transition and retirement processing. Work performed on Discovery is expected to help rocket designers build next-generation spacecraft and prepare the shuttle for future public display.Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett

http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/search.cfm?cat=4

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: 03/22/2011 08:38 pm »
amazing shot

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #55 on: 03/22/2011 09:18 pm »
lol... in picture 2011-2413 above I instantly see slim pickens riding with the power between his legs...
One Percent for Space!!!

Offline RocketEconomist327

• Rocket Economist
  • Infecting the beltway with fiscal responsibility, limited government, and free markets.
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #56 on: 03/23/2011 01:56 am »
This thread makes me really sad.

Thanks OV... Really glad to hear Discovery gets to keep her well earned battle scars.

OV-103 will always be my favorite.

VR
RE327
You can talk about all the great things you can do, or want to do, in space; but unless the rocket scientists get a sound understanding of economics (and quickly), the US space program will never achieve the greatness it should.

Putting my money where my mouth is.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: 03/23/2011 02:45 am »
The FRCS has been removed:

http://twitter.com/#!/Astronut099

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator