Author Topic: STS-133 Shuttle Discovery's Final Launch: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)  (Read 646171 times)

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
Registration is NOW OPEN for launch viewing tickets.

Buggers are asking for Date of Birth as well. Better NOT be collecting & selling data...

To add: I'm in the draw to get one ticket, even though I don't plan on attending. It's only if something should happen and the launch slips to Feb 2 that I would attend, since that would likely bump STS-134, and I want to enjoy the hot south and miss all that nasty weather up here. :)
« Last Edit: 08/16/2010 02:54 pm by robertross »

Offline Furner

• Grand Rapids, MI
    • Launch Viewing Wiki
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0

Buggers are asking for Date of Birth as well. Better NOT be collecting & selling data...

To add: I'm in the draw to get one ticket, even though I don't plan on attending. It's only if something should happen and the launch slips to Feb 2 that I would attend, since that would likely bump STS-134, and I want to enjoy the hot south and miss all that nasty weather up here. :)

Do you think that each registration is only for one ticket?  I was under the assumption from reading the rules that each household may only register once.  I figured that they were either going to ask you how many tickets you wanted when you registered, or they would allow each person who "wins" to purchase up to six.  Since there is no selection for how many tickets you want when registering, I am hoping that they will let you purchase multiple tickets with one registration.  It would be pretty pointless for them to only allow one ticket purchase per registration.

Offline keliezimmer

Yeah, they said each registrant can purchase up to 6 tickets.

Offline Hans_ACS

I registered too since I am planning to watch the launch anyway, but it would be nice to see it from a good spot of course. For us europeans, trying to watch a launch is a h*ll of job to plan everything since so much can go wrong ...

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia

Do you think that each registration is only for one ticket?  I was under the assumption from reading the rules that each household may only register once.  I figured that they were either going to ask you how many tickets you wanted when you registered, or they would allow each person who "wins" to purchase up to six.  Since there is no selection for how many tickets you want when registering, I am hoping that they will let you purchase multiple tickets with one registration.  It would be pretty pointless for them to only allow one ticket purchase per registration.

Yes, as mentioned it is up to 6 tickets per household. I'm 'just saying' I'm buying ONE.  :)

Offline mtu

Hi everyone—It's my first post here, so please cut me some slack (and by all means correct me!) if I violate etiquette or anything :)

I'm also wanting to see the STS-133 launch, but coming from Germany (and being a student, i.e. not exactly wealthy), it's a tough job to organize such a trip, just as Hans_ACS said. :-\

I have a question on these “beta angle” dates. Which one of these two interpretations is correct?
1. A launch will be attempted daily from 1 Nov through 8 Nov.
2. Failing to launch on 1 Nov, the next atempt will be only at 8 Nov.

I need to book my flight soon and try and organize a place to stay in Florida (Orlando youth hostel or something?), so any clarification is greatly appreciated!

Offline dsmillman

• Liked: 342
  • Likes Given: 27
Hi everyone—It's my first post here, so please cut me some slack (and by all means correct me!) if I violate etiquette or anything :)

I'm also wanting to see the STS-133 launch, but coming from Germany (and being a student, i.e. not exactly wealthy), it's a tough job to organize such a trip, just as Hans_ACS said. :-\

I have a question on these “beta angle” dates. Which one of these two interpretations is correct?
1. A launch will be attempted daily from 1 Nov through 8 Nov.
2. Failing to launch on 1 Nov, the next atempt will be only at 8 Nov.

I need to book my flight soon and try and organize a place to stay in Florida (Orlando youth hostel or something?), so any clarification is greatly appreciated!

1. The most likely launch attempt days are:
    Nov. 1,  Nov. 2,  Nov. 4,   Nov. 5,    Nov. 7

2.  A less likely sequence is:
    Nov. 1,  Nov. 3,  Nov. 4,   Nov.  6,   Nov. 7

3. The weather in Florida is much better and more predictable in November than in the summer.

Offline scotty125

• Museum Docent/Leicester City Fan
  • Portland, Oregon
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 16
Just thinking out loud here, but with each household able to purchase up to 6 tickets, and so many of us possibly out in the cold, would it be worth setting up a resource to match potential launch ticket buyers with those needing passes?  Keeping in mind that just a ticket won't even get you to the visitor's center (you'll need a car pass too) it would also be good if we could match up folks needing a ride to the site.

For example, if I'm fortunate enough to score the opportunity to purchase tickets, I would only need 2 of the 6.  I suspect I could get 3 extra people in my rental car, so I'd have the ability to help 3 NSF'ers in need.  Since this would be a case of friends helping friends, I'd propose we limit per ticket costs to actual price plus no more than a 5-10% "convenience charge" to cover costs in order to prevent ugly price gouging incidents.

I don't know if this would be acceptable under the auspices of our forum...if not I apologize for raising the subject.  If it would be permissible, and if there were sufficient interest on the part of those able to purchase tickets, I'd be willing to help coordinate the effort to match those with a surplus with those looking for tix.  With only a few (3?) launches left, I think it would be a nice touch if we could help each other get to the best possible viewing spots...
"He who will not, when he may, when he should, he shall have nay."
TV Commercial - Gulf Oil during Apollo Landings

Offline mtu

Obviously I can't speak for the forum, but me myself would very much appreciate such an extra opportunity.
If I don't get tickets, I'll still be flying to Florida and viewing from Titusville, so if there were a chance to get tickets through somebody here, it would very much enhance my experience :)

Say, Scotty: What do you mean by ‘doesn't get you to the Visitor's Center’? Are you saying that even with the causeway ticket, one would still need to buy entrance to the Visitor's Center, as if one were just going to the exhibitions etc.?

Offline scotty125

• Portland, Oregon
On launch days, as I understand it, you will need a vehicle pass just to get onto the KSCVC property, and that vehicle pass is only available when you order your 1-6 tickets.  So even if you were able to pick up tix on E-Bay or the like, you still might be out in the cold without catching a lift to KSC.  The launch tix include 2 days entrance to the visitor center so there would be plenty of time to check out the exhibits and activities...

Offline orbitjunkie

• Maryland
  • Liked: 5
Has anybody been notified about the lottery yet?

The main page at www.ksclaunchtickets.com says notification will be between Aug 26 and Sep 17. And yet when I registered, I am almost positive it said I'd be notified no later than Aug 27. At least, I think that's what it said. I remember being pleasantly surprised that it gave a single NLT date that was at the beginning of the range mentioned on the main page. But I didn't right it down and maybe I'm remembering incorrectly or misread that registration confirmation page.

Offline PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194

Yes, I received an email about a week ago...

Offline mceddiemac

• North Carolina

Just got my rejection. They stated they "may have another round". I'm betting unlikely on the "may". We'll see...

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 13
Just got an email that I will have the opportunity to purchase them!

I wonder if it will still be swamped - I'd imagine everyone is given the opportunity to purchase causeway passes - and obviously they don't have a ton of those.  I'm only interested in causeway viewing.

I'm going to purchase them either way - if I don't end up using them and don't have any friends that want them, I'll let them go here at face value.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline spacedog71

• Likes Given: 3
this particular ticket buying process is something like a zeno's paradox. that has to be why they gave themselves four weeks to complete the process.

let's pretend there's 6,000 seats on KSCVC buses available to go to the causeway (i have no idea of the total number).

they can't award 6,000 opportunities to buy 1-6 of those tickets. the math doesn't add up.

they really *shouldn't* award more than 1,000 opportunities in this first go-round, and then wait and see how many tickets actually get purchased. that will give them a new pool of available tickets to offer in a second wave, and depending on how that goes, they may have a third or even a fourth wave.

(disclaimer: i have no idea how they're actually running it. this is just what makes sense to me.)

Offline scotty125

• Portland, Oregon
As I understand it, once causeway tix are gone, they sell KSCVC tix, then finally Astronaut HOF tix.  Maybe 15-20K all told?  I got denied on my first attempt, but haven't heard from the friends that put in requests so I'm still hopeful.  Maybe those congress critters (sorry Chuck) will still come through.  I could deal with visitor center passes, but if I can't get those it will be the park in Titusville for me!  If you do get the opportunity to buy tix, I'd suggest you be ready to go as soon as the floodgates open, as the causeway spots are sure to go quick...

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
I got denied my first time around, but it's not the flight I'm planning for - only a contingency in case she gets bumped to 2011 for one reason or another.

Offline Hans_ACS

I got denied on the first round too :(  Maybe a stupid question, but is it possible to buy one of these tickets from someone who is allowed/selected to buy them ? Are these not personal, so with a name on them ? Not sure if I understood this correctly from the above posts ..

My flight to FL is booked anyhow, but I'd love to see the launch from the very best spot available !

Offline scotty125

• Portland, Oregon
Hans, it's possible you may be able to purchase tickets through another source like E-Bay.  These tickets are not personalized-only the passes provided by our congressmen are specific to individuals (still holding out hope for a couple of those.) The only issue is that you'll need a vehicle pass to get on the grounds at the Visitor's Center where the causeway busses leave from, and those passes will be part of the ticket package that each household can purchase.  There won't be many of those floating around...When I went to STS-117, I was furtunate enough to buy a pass from a lady who was willing to meet up the day of the launch and let me ride to the space center with her.  It was a good thing too, as I was completely ignorant of the vehicle pass requirement.

Hopefully we'll have a high percentage of forum members who are successful getting tickets and might be willing to share... :)  Like you, I'll be there anyway.  Maybe we should come up with some kind of signal so we can recognize other NSF'ers, like a blue armband, or a shirt that says "You Might be a Space Geek if..."  ;)

Offline Hans_ACS

Scotty, thanks so much for this information. I am willing to buy anyone a full breakfast/lunch/dinner or whatever it takes to get a ride into the VC :), assuming I get causeway tickets ofcourse.

It cannot be a major task to get something arranged for us NSF guys to meet somewhere close by, won't it ? I can wear a special t-shirt with my nickname on if needed :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography