Author Topic: Astronaut appraisals/performance reviews  (Read 5568 times)

Offline aurora899

• Oxford, UK
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 1
Astronaut appraisals/performance reviews
« on: 12/27/2008 09:11 am »
I assume that NASA employees undergo some sort of annual appraisal/performance review. But I wondered how that impacts the Astronaut Office where you have a mixture of civilian and military personnel? Presumably the civilian astronauts are part of the process but is there something different for military astronauts who are effectively “on secondment” to NASA from their host service?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: Astronaut appraisals/performance reviews
« Reply #1 on: 12/27/2008 02:29 pm »
I assume that NASA employees undergo some sort of annual appraisal/performance review. But I wondered how that impacts the Astronaut Office where you have a mixture of civilian and military personnel? Presumably the civilian astronauts are part of the process but is there something different for military astronauts who are effectively “on secondment” to NASA from their host service?

They all get standard civil service performance reviews

Offline aurora899

• Oxford, UK
« Reply #2 on: 12/28/2008 09:55 am »
Okay, I understand.

Presumably Steve Lindsey doesn't have to do them all! I suppose the Branch Chiefs within the Astronaut Office appraise the people directly under them etc.?

Personally, I don't have a lot of time for end of year performance reviews, although my views have been coloured by 18 years with a private sector company. Very few managers liked doing appraisals and even fewer employees liked receiving them! "Book two hours in your calendar for your end of year review," says the manager. "Although it probably won't be that long."
Yeah, too right it won't. About twenty minutes! "Just tell me my score and whether I've got the end of year bonus."

I'm sure NASA is different though. I expect NASA managers and employees take the whole process very seriously.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #3 on: 12/28/2008 11:34 am »

I'm sure NASA is different though. I expect NASA managers and employees take the whole process very seriously.

Nope, they are a waste of time in NASA too

Offline aurora899

• Oxford, UK
« Reply #4 on: 12/28/2008 12:16 pm »
I had a feeling you might say that!
I think it's only the HR guys who get excited about appraisals and performance reviews. It gives them something to collate each year.
« Last Edit: 12/28/2008 12:20 pm by aurora899 »

Offline Fequalsma

• Liked: 57
« Reply #5 on: 12/28/2008 12:51 pm »
During the Nowak/Oefelein mess, I recall something about the
military officers in the Astronaut Corps being rated by their local
chain of command.

From Wikipedia, "Christopher Ferguson, the senior Naval Officer in
the NASA Astronaut Corps, went as Nowak's commanding officer..."

F=ma

Offline Skylon

• Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #6 on: 12/28/2008 06:30 pm »
There was a little of this in Mike Mullane's "Riding Rockets".

During it Mullane mentions that the USAF would consult John Young (Chief of the Astronaut Office) as his direct superior, if he was under consideration for a promotion. This was especially frustrating to him as at the time he was NOT getting along with Young, and Abbey had advised him to just "ignore John". Something he couldn't do for this reason.

Offline Ben E

• Liked: 100
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #7 on: 12/29/2008 08:22 pm »
Yes, I remember seeing that reference to Ferguson as Nowak's "commanding officer".

What exactly does that mean? They were BOTH Navy captains (ie same rank) at the time and, although Ferguson was a PLT, Nowak actually had seniority in terms of astronaut group.

Are there Air Force/Marines/Army commanding officers in the corps, too? Does anyone know who they are now?

Offline Michael Cassutt

• Regular
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 212
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: 12/29/2008 08:50 pm »
Yes, I remember seeing that reference to Ferguson as Nowak's "commanding officer".

What exactly does that mean? They were BOTH Navy captains (ie same rank) at the time and, although Ferguson was a PLT, Nowak actually had seniority in terms of astronaut group.

Are there Air Force/Marines/Army commanding officers in the corps, too? Does anyone know who they are now?

During the Nowak matter, Ferguson was acting as the senior navy officer in the astronaut office -- if he was described as "commanding officer" (not the term I remember in the accounts I saw), the report was incorrect; there is no such thing. 

Michael Cassutt

Offline Skylon

« Reply #9 on: 12/29/2008 09:19 pm »

Perhaps in terms of Astronaut group, but Ferguson was senior in terms of when he had received his commission, and was likely promoted to Captain before she was.

I was surprised someone like Brent Jett or Dominic Gorie weren't considered senior USN astronauts at the time, but I guess they had already retired from the Navy at that point.

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Defender of All Things Nautical!!!
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #10 on: 12/29/2008 09:41 pm »

Perhaps in terms of Astronaut group, but Ferguson was senior in terms of when he had received his commission, and was likely promoted to Captain before she was.

I was surprised someone like Brent Jett or Dominic Gorie weren't considered senior USN astronauts at the time, but I guess they had already retired from the Navy at that point.

Skylon is right on the money.  The senior Navy officer (determined by date of rank and lineal number) would sign a Navy astronaut's Navy Fitness Reports (FITREPS) with, I'm sure, input from the head of the Astronaut Office.
<----First launch of DISCOVERY, STS-41D!!!!

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #11 on: 12/29/2008 09:49 pm »
The same sort of rating scheme is used for officers attending graduate school.  If there is an ROTC detachment on the campus/vicinity, and that officer is senior to the officer graduate student, then he will be the officers rater or senior rater.  It is possible that the students graduate advisor could be part of the rating scheme as well.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #12 on: 12/29/2008 10:14 pm »
would sign a Navy astronaut's Navy Fitness Reports (FITREPS) with, I'm sure, input from the head of the Astronaut Office.

Since they are seconded/detailed to NASA, they get civilian appraisals

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Norfolk, VA
« Reply #13 on: 12/29/2008 10:45 pm »
would sign a Navy astronaut's Navy Fitness Reports (FITREPS) with, I'm sure, input from the head of the Astronaut Office.

Since they are seconded/detailed to NASA, they get civilian appraisals

Then they get both.  The Navy still requires Navy FITREPs for promotion boards and other administrative purposes unique to the service..
« Last Edit: 12/29/2008 10:49 pm by NavySpaceFan »

Offline Skylon

« Reply #14 on: 12/30/2008 01:46 am »
Then they get both.  The Navy still requires Navy FITREPs for promotion boards and other administrative purposes unique to the service..

I mentioned this earlier. According to Mike Mullane, the USAF would consult the Chief of the Astronaut Office when reviewing an officer for potential promotion.

Pg. 238 of "Riding Rockets" he outright says that then Chief of the Astronaut Office, John Young "signed my air force performance reports."

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Norfolk, VA
« Reply #15 on: 12/30/2008 03:06 pm »

I mentioned this earlier. According to Mike Mullane, the USAF would consult the Chief of the Astronaut Office when reviewing an officer for potential promotion.

Pg. 238 of "Riding Rockets" he outright says that then Chief of the Astronaut Office, John Young "signed my air force performance reports."

Then we are, as an old XO of mine used to say, in violent agreement ;).

Offline aurora899

• Oxford, UK
« Reply #16 on: 12/31/2008 09:34 am »
Given the intense rivalry that exists between the two services, a USN officer (John Young) signing an USAF officer's performance reports seems quite amusing!

Mind you, John Young doesn't strike me as someone who would have had much interest in the paperwork aspects of his job.

Offline aurora899

• Oxford, UK
« Reply #17 on: 11/19/2009 04:21 pm »
Just out of interest, when are NASA/civil service appraisals generally conducted? Are they based on the calendar year (so you might, for example, get appraised around January time) or do they relate to the fiscal year? And are military performance reports on a similar timetable?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #18 on: 11/19/2009 04:28 pm »
Just out of interest, when are NASA/civil service appraisals generally conducted? Are they based on the calendar year (so you might, for example, get appraised around January time) or do they relate to the fiscal year? And are military performance reports on a similar timetable?

April is the timeframe.  Military is different.  It depends on when the person starts their job

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography