Author Topic: Tim Peake’s Soyuz Capsule UK Tour  (Read 12328 times)

Offline wardy89

• UK
  • Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 102
Tim Peake’s Soyuz Capsule UK Tour
« on: 01/29/2017 09:35 pm »
I was in london over the weekend and had a little free time so decided to go take a look at Tim Peaks Soyuz capsule in the Science Museum. I was expecting it to be small but actually seeing it in person you realise just how small it is.

Didn't have a proper camera with me unfortunately but took some photos on my phone!
« Last Edit: 12/06/2017 08:07 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline wardy89

• UK
Re: Tim Peake’s Soyuz Capsule
« Reply #1 on: 01/29/2017 09:36 pm »
A phew more images.

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Yorkshire
  • Liked: 533
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #2 on: 01/30/2017 07:08 am »
Amazing! Shall have to make a trip down there at some point. Thanks for sharing.
- Aaron

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #3 on: 01/30/2017 07:08 am »
Why is this being named "Tim Peake's capsule" or similar?   Firstly he doesn't own it and secondly why are you forgetting that Yuri Malenchenko and Timothy Kopra also flew to and from ISS aboard the spacecraft?
« Last Edit: 01/30/2017 07:09 am by Phillip Clark »
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline wardy89

• UK
« Reply #4 on: 01/30/2017 08:59 am »
Why is this being named "Tim Peake's capsule" or similar?   Firstly he doesn't own it and secondly why are you forgetting that Yuri Malenchenko and Timothy Kopra also flew to and from ISS aboard the spacecraft?

I haven't forgotten that Yuri Malenchenko and Timothy Kopra also flew on this mission i was simply labelling the post to reflect how its exhibited at Science Museum. The others are of course mentioned in information at the exhibit but i can understand why the Science Museum have titled it how they have. The interest from the British public was high for this mission so calling it Tim Peaks Spacecraft rather than Soyuz TMA-19M is going to encourage far more people to go see it.

Offline zodiacchris

• Port Macquarie, Australia
  • Liked: 1473
  • Likes Given: 1311
« Reply #5 on: 01/30/2017 09:37 am »
I might be misremembering, but I seem to recall reading (somewhere a while ago) that the capsule is Peakes property as part of the spaceflight participant package that he purchased, and that it was up to him to loan it to the museum...

Offline wardy89

• UK
« Reply #6 on: 01/30/2017 10:17 am »
I might be misremembering, but I seem to recall reading (somewhere a while ago) that the capsule is Peakes property as part of the spaceflight participant package that he purchased, and that it was up to him to loan it to the museum...

From what i have read from various news sites the science museum bought the capsule themselves from the manufacturer.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #7 on: 01/30/2017 10:27 am »
He purchased a package? I thought he was an ESA astronaut.

Is the ESA so skint that they make astronauts pay their own way???  Google isn't helping me much, as I may be misremembering.

(Helen Sharman, the first to wear the Union Jack as an astronaut patch, did go via private funding, but not her own funding...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Juno ... )
« Last Edit: 01/30/2017 10:30 am by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online Bob Shaw

• Liked: 728
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #8 on: 01/30/2017 10:47 am »
Looks like *another* trip to London for me!

It's funny that the new control panel is not only visible but lit up - the last Soyuz at the Science Museum had much of the interior detail covered up, allegedly because of difficulties getting permission from the Russian side to display 'confidential' details aboard a decades-old version of Soyuz. Now, we see a late-model Soyuz in grisly detail!

Offline zodiacchris

• Port Macquarie, Australia
  • Liked: 1473
  • Likes Given: 1311
« Reply #9 on: 01/30/2017 11:09 am »
Yep, definitely miss remembered then, got the Poms confused. Could it have been Richard Garriott who got the capsule thrown in? ???

Also, does the Science Museum still have Charlie Brown, the Apollo 10 capsule, or has that been returned? It looked a bit forlorn and dark when I saw it the last time 10 years ago.

Offline wardy89

• UK
« Reply #10 on: 01/30/2017 11:36 am »
Yep, definitely miss remembered then, got the Poms confused. Could it have been Richard Garriott who got the capsule thrown in? ???

Also, does the Science Museum still have Charlie Brown, the Apollo 10 capsule, or has that been returned? It looked a bit forlorn and dark when I saw it the last time 10 years ago.

The Apollo 10 capsule is still there.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #11 on: 01/30/2017 12:39 pm »
Great pics. Looks well cooked!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Daniels30

• Liked: 295
  • Likes Given: 177
« Reply #12 on: 01/30/2017 11:09 pm »
Awesome pics!

Went there last year to see the Apollo 10 capsule, quite incredible when you think the trip it took! Must go back now to see the Soyuz.
Anyone one know why it's so charred after reentry compared to other capsules. I mean the Apollo 10 capsule looks pretty good bearing in mind it's the fastest manned object to reenter Earth's atmosphere at 39897 km/h.
“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go to light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” -
Tom Mueller, SpaceX Co founder and Propulsion CTO.

Online Bob Shaw

• Liked: 728
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #13 on: 02/18/2017 11:18 pm »
When I was there there to see the LK there was a full-size Lego Soyuz Orbital Module sitting outside the Space Gallery. Quite an odd thing to see!

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
« Reply #14 on: 02/19/2017 12:16 am »

"The Capsule That Tim Peake Flew In" isn't quite as catchy. :D

Also the giant banner right beside the capsule says "TIM PEAKE'S SPACECRAFT". Seems like a fair title for an article about that exhibit.

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
  • Liked: 245
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #15 on: 12/06/2017 07:51 pm »
I understand ESA/UK astronaut Tim Peake's Soyuz descent module is to be displayed at the UK National Railway Museum in York in 2018. Don't have exact dates ( will post when I get them).

Be nice if they displayed next to the early steam engine "Rocket" ?

Phill
UK

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: Tim Peake’s Soyuz Capsule UK Tour
« Reply #16 on: 12/06/2017 08:07 pm »
I'll be seeing the Soyuz in York, obviously! ;D Will take pics.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
« Reply #17 on: 12/06/2017 08:54 pm »
Sorry Chris -misread item 😱

Its NOT at NRM's York museum but will be at its north east outpost museum at NRM Shildon , north of Darlington.

Can get to it by " quaint" motorway/main roads or by train ! No point to point suborbital spaceship or hyperloop or "electric skate" tunnel just yet  😀

I believe Shildon has early steam engines on display and may have a replica "Rocket " ? Its near to where Hitachi are building high speed train sets for UK rail companies.

If you do go, make a side tour to Beamish Museum and have a  ride behind the early steam loco called " The Steam Elephant" . Great fun and very like 'Rocket' in a number of respects. Also electric trams and trolley buses.Wow !  But, best of all, Chips cooked in beef dripping . Mmm!

I still don't have dates but would expect spring time- ish ?

Phill

Offline Stevenzop

« Reply #18 on: 12/06/2017 09:34 pm »
This capsule is actually in Bradford at the moment, I went to see it a few weeks ago after the Bruce Mccandles lecture in Pontefract.  It's displayed in such a way that you can get very close indeed, pretty much just sitting in the reception of the media museum, which is slightly odd. Impressive none the less though!  I took plenty of photos, I'll post them up tomorow if anyone's interested?

Edit: I see they've moved it now. It does look to be heading to York in Jan however!  :)
« Last Edit: 12/06/2017 09:37 pm by Stevenzop »

Offline Apollo-phill

• UK
« Reply #19 on: 12/06/2017 09:57 pm »
Stevenzop

Yes,please post some images.

I could not make Bradford in time and, as you state , has since been removed.

Tim Peake in Manchester this Friday 8 Dec 2017 at Waterstones signing his book ( at a price of course ! ), Guildford Saturday and London ( on Sunday I understand ? ) . Would have attended Manchester but no proper photo shoot or question time opportunity except from " queue" 😈

Phill

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography