Author Topic: Crawler/Transporter  (Read 89083 times)

Offline RichO

• Olympia, washington USA
  • Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Crawler/Transporter
« Reply #20 on: 05/11/2013 01:55 pm »
MANFRED,

Thanks for your comments and advice, all things I need at the moment.

About the crawler build and the interior. Apparently Mischa has plans to do some more renderings of the interior details. The engines and generators and hydrolic pumps and compressors...etc. I really hope that this happens because trying to find photos of the interior detail is proveing to be very difficult.

Also my lighting kit has been ordered and is on the way to me. When Mischa designed the  parts for the Engineers Control Room, there were miniture computer consols at the work stations. The computers had details printed onto the face of the model parts. The details, when looking through a jewlers loop ( magnifying glass), shows that the computers have different colored lights printed on the surface. I hope to be able to get my fiber optic wire small enough to light the computer panels and monitors, I will also try to place the overhead room lights for the office and engine rooms, in such a mannor that the wireing will not be disturbed when the lid comes off. Mischa has designed the Chassis Top to lift off so the interior can be detailed and viewed. All plans that still need to be tested tho.

Parts hunting the other day was ok, I had to compromise a bit, and ended up at a hardware store instead of a hobby shop for the parts I needed. I had to get somewhat creative about how to handel my material needs for this build as everything is so small and material is so limited localy.

My expectations about being able to build the crawler kit total out of the paper that Mischa has provided, has given way to wanting to build a kit that looks the best I can build. So that means the mixer side of my model building skills is takeing over the build. In the last few days I have gone from a paper model, to a paper, plastic, carbon fiber, brass, glass, copper, rubber, steel... and the list is starting to grow.

Thanks for the Generator photo, great view, also a really good reference for the beam structures in the background.

I'll post the Pipe Cord section soon, Thanks.
OMG, I finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there's nothing right, and on the right side there's nothing left!

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #21 on: 05/13/2013 06:35 am »
Hi Richo,

I'm surprised that you plan a lighting of some rooms with fiber optic wire, that's a great idea.

I had even thought about lighting my MLP and the Launch Tower, but unfortunately do not know me with the technology and prices.

Can't wait to see your next steps.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline RichO

« Reply #22 on: 05/14/2013 08:10 pm »
Hey Everyone

I thought I should post just a few photos to show how the Pipe Chords are comming along.

Photo #1, Some chords devided up in different sizes.

photo #2, My first Pipe Chord!

Photo #3, My first row of chords.

Photo #4, Front Diaganial chords

Photo #5, A whole bunch of pipe chords and a new ladder

Photo #6, Part of my work bench.

Photo #7, Some mood lighting baby.

Photo #8, The lights bright on.

The Pipe Chord section of the build is ongoing, still. I have a few more days of building with the chord chapter. This section of the build is going really slow and tidious. I'll post back again with the ending of this section.

The next chapter has some considering to do in advance of construction, I'll let everyone know whats up with this when the pipe chord section is finnished.

Bye for now. RichO, crawler 114
OMG, I finally discovered what's wrong with my brain: On the left side there's nothing right, and on the right side there's nothing left!

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #23 on: 05/15/2013 10:07 am »
Hi Richo,

wow, nice pics from installing the chords, well done. Tell us, how many chords you must install, feels like 100 or more?

I'm feeling with you, but the teeth bite together, it looks great and it's all so delicate!!! And the new ladder also looks better, is it from paper or sheet?

Have you painted the chords grey or silver?

What is the next chapter, the wiring? Can't wait to see next progress.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline RichO

« Reply #24 on: 05/15/2013 12:31 pm »
MANFRED, thanks for your comments.

I had to reach a conclusion about the pipe chords, The paper ones with the kit were so delicate that I kept crushing them when I tried to install and my rolling wasn't the best either. There are 171 pipe chords to install, so instead of stressing about the look of the paper chords, I used an alternate material. The larger chords are carbon fiber rods, and all the small chords are brass. I had to get creative about what I could find at a hardware store.

The new ladders are made from strip styrene sized to scale. I made the new ladders in the same fassion as the paper ones, they just turned out much better looking, the styrene is much stiffer than the paper model ladders.

The paint color is sort of an off grey, or flat aluminum color, I know that all the interior is painted a sort of battleship grey but a slight contrast adds the look of much more detail. I think the artist is in control when it comes to how this build will look.

I still have about 100 pipe chords to install yet, but working on the next chapter at the same time. A guy has to think ahead a few stages with this kit in order to consider future chapters of the build.

BTW, the lighting experiments went very well and I have started looking at the wireways for the light fibers, I'll show photos soon.

RichO 114

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #25 on: 05/16/2013 01:13 pm »
Hi Richo,

you are doing a really good job with the pipe chords. The gluing of such a lot of pipe chords is a very tedious work, but certainly needs to be done as well.

BTW I know guys who are building Shuttle orbiter in 1:72 by individual scratch-building each tile of the TPS and glue several thousand tiles, real madness ...

That's why you must bite the teeth together in order to install also the remaining chords because the result looks very impressive and filigree.

Keep up the great build!

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline RichO

« Reply #26 on: 05/16/2013 01:35 pm »
MANFRED,

Thanks for ecoragement about the tidious work.

Yes, I agree. The open filigree look of the project as a total package is what really attracted me in the first place.

Pipe Chords all day today :P

Bye for now

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #27 on: 05/16/2013 02:10 pm »
All the power to you Richo, keep cool!!!

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #28 on: 05/16/2013 03:00 pm »
Hi Richo,

in order to distract you a little bit of the pipe chord stress look around from time to time to KSC, and enjoy the progress in buildup of the outstanding Atlantis Exhibition Hall.

Or have a look at the Atlantis by the KSC Live Web Cam, here is the latest photo from today:

Meanwhile the opened payload bay doors were clamped by long counter ropes with the hall roof.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline OV135

• Liked: 13
« Reply #29 on: 05/16/2013 04:37 pm »
I hope an actual plastic model kit of the CT will be made available in 1/72 scale. :)

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 410
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #30 on: 05/16/2013 05:33 pm »
Beautiful job so far.

What I'd really love to see is a remote control transporter that would carry an inscale Space Shuttle or Saturn V that could be launched from the launch deck.  (Setting up the tower to retract the gantry armas would be a serious trick as well).

Just saying...

JasonAW3
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline RichO

« Reply #31 on: 05/19/2013 11:57 am »
JASON,

You just HAD to make that sugestion didn't you. I've seen a you tube demo on how to make moveing tracks for paper models, maybe I'll find it again and take a good look. Thanks for the reminder.

RichO 114

Offline RichO

« Reply #32 on: 05/19/2013 12:06 pm »
MANFRED,

Thanks for the understanding words about "bite the teeth together", I'm just about done with the pipe chords. I should finish today, hopefully.

The photos of KSC and the Atlantis display are great! I wish I could go there and see for myself. Maybe one day after I get to retire...oh ya, I'm already retired, sort of.

Back to pipe chords, last day!

RichO 114

Offline RichO

« Reply #33 on: 05/20/2013 12:14 pm »
Hey Guys,

The last photos of the dreaded Pipe Chords.

Photo #1, Close to being all done with chords, and an ok look at the floor grates. The material I used for the floor grates is just a little to big for me. I really like the look of the open floor deck, I just have to chase down smaller material.

Photo #2, THE LAST PIPE CHORD!!!

Photo #3, Finished Pipe Chord chapter!!

Photo #4, ALL DONE!!! This took about two weeks of construction and material surch.

So the pipe chord section of the build is finaly over. I'm really impressed at how ridgid the frame is at this time, very stiff and solid. I have more photos to share, I'll be back shortly.

RichO, 114

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #34 on: 05/20/2013 12:52 pm »
Hi Richo,

hell and devil, what a superb job, the scratch building components are incredible,  and therefore let's have a drink on the last chord!
How many years are you aged?

It looks overwhelming, very impressive, I like this delicate crawler framework.

Keep up the great work, can't wait to see more progress.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 924
« Reply #35 on: 05/20/2013 03:25 pm »
What an outstanding job!
Of course, when the SLS CT and ML are completed....

Offline RichO

« Reply #36 on: 05/20/2013 07:52 pm »
OK SO,

The next step at this time is do a light test for the inside rooms. The first test is to light up the control panels for the computer console. This aplication is a few days away but advance troubleshooting always helps.

Photo #1, Shows the compatability of materials. The light fibers might be just a bit to big for this scale but not enough to deture me from this idea.

Photo #2, The card stock for this test is the same as the original stock that Mischa designed the kit consoles on. With the scale of this model just about everything is over sized, however the light fiber is not so big that it dosen't look good tho.

Photo #3, So the next step is to draft out a full sized computer console onto the same weight paper that the original is printed onto.

Photo #4, The full sized mocup of the computer console with the lighting applied.

Photo #5 I think that test has turned out well and now all I have to do is consider where and how the fibers will lay and power supply. I think I will lay the fibers along the wireway paths in the wireing chapter, but I'm not quite that far along yet.

I'll post more photos of the corner builds and fram assembly, the off to the wireing!

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #37 on: 05/20/2013 08:33 pm »
Hi Richo,

the using of light fibres is a very nice approach, I'm curious how it goes.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline RichO

« Reply #38 on: 05/22/2013 06:37 pm »
 Hey Guys,

More photos of the build today. I'm just starting the cornners construction. This is a nice short chapter with not to much cutting out of parts.

I am at a short stand still with the build however, I have some deck grateing to install in this section of the build and I'm just not happy with the size of the screen material for the grates that I'm useing now. I have made contact with a supplier so I'll keep everyone informed as to what I find.

So all I can do at the present is about half of the cornner build.

Photo #1, Parts for "B" cornner

Phot5o #2, "B" cornner parts all cut and cleaned

Photo #3, "B" cornner under construction. This photo shows some of the opennings that need to be filled with the floor grates, so I wont procede now untill I resolve the grate problem.

Photo #4, This is all the parts for all four cornners, A,B,C,D.

So more rain all day today, I'll post again soon with the cornner construction and info about the floor grates.

Bye for now, RichO 114

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #39 on: 05/23/2013 07:44 am »
Hi Richo,

that is a lot of nice stuff you have prepared very well, and this means once more a tricky job for building. Handle with care, I'm curious! Keep up the great work.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography