Author Topic: What are advantages and disadvantages of powered and aerodynamic landing?  (Read 38870 times)

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 604
Forgive my ignorance, but is it possible to pull on parachute suspension lines just before capsule touch-down, in order to reduce impact forces?

How much such a device would weigh?

Offline douglas100

• Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 105
I believe such a device was discussed somewhere but I can't remember where. In principle there seems no reason why it shouldn't work, but in the big bad world of real engineering, that's a different matter...
Douglas Clark

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
I believe such a device was discussed somewhere but I can't remember where. In principle there seems no reason why it shouldn't work, but in the big bad world of real engineering, that's a different matter...
It was done on the X-38, with electric actuators...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
It was done on the X-38, with electric actuators...
It is done for landing military payloads as well, I think usually with a sort of pneumatic "muscle" device.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
It is done for landing military payloads as well, I think usually with a sort of pneumatic "muscle" device.
I though that these guys used regular servos.
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
I though that these guys used regular servos.
I don't know what they use (if anything).

But the idea of using a pneumatic muscle for landing is a relatively old one, dating back to 1949:
http://faculty.nps.edu/oayakime/ADSC/AGAS%20-%20Brown%20-%20A%20New%20Pneumatic%20Actuator.pdf
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
Well, you have to have something for steering anyway, just two servos pulling the toggle lines. So the same servos will flare and land as well.
Not sure what advantage a pneumatic system would give you there, over a regular electromechanical linear servo or for example an SMA actuator
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography