Author Topic: New Shepard - 7th test flight - December 12, 2017  (Read 63026 times)

Offline Kryten

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 33
Re: New Shepard - 7th test flight - December 12, 2017
« Reply #40 on: 12/13/2017 10:47 am »
 For the sake of completion here's the Blue email, though there's no new info.
New Shepard flew again for the seventh time today from Blue Origin’s West Texas Launch Site. Known as Mission 7 (M7), the mission featured the next-generation booster and the first flight of Crew Capsule 2.0. Watch the mission highlights here.

-Gradatim Ferociter!
[image here]
Crew Capsule 2.0 features large windows, measuring 2.4 feet wide, 3.6 feet tall.
The sender is listed as Blue Origin, rather than Jeff Bezos for the previous ones.

Online Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 1184
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #41 on: 12/13/2017 11:27 am »
Capsule apogee is a few km less than on some previous flights, though given the payloads - and windows - I imagine somewhat heavier than previous flights. Or have Blue used ballast previously?

I wonder how much margin they have to push things further. It seems to be a long hold down after ignition and a notable hover before landing.

I assume they want to break 100 km with a full complement of passengers. Especially if that's better than SpaceShipTwo can manage ...

I'm not sure that both companies will want to break the 100km barrier. It seems to me that they're comfortable with the 80km boundary used in the USA.

But for the sake of space tourism, it doesn't matter too much. I'll be happy if we finally have spaceships able to break... whatever definition of space. Just... let them flying :)

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18197
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #42 on: 12/13/2017 11:38 am »
Capsule apogee is a few km less than on some previous flights, though given the payloads - and windows - I imagine somewhat heavier than previous flights. Or have Blue used ballast previously?

I wonder how much margin they have to push things further. It seems to be a long hold down after ignition and a notable hover before landing.

I assume they want to break 100 km with a full complement of passengers. Especially if that's better than SpaceShipTwo can manage ...

I'm not sure that both companies will want to break the 100km barrier. It seems to me that they're comfortable with the 80km boundary used in the USA.
Which would restrict bragging rights of their customers to the USA given that the rest of the world recognizes the Karman line as the boundary of space.
« Last Edit: 12/13/2017 11:38 am by woods170 »

Online Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
« Reply #43 on: 12/13/2017 11:56 am »
We already had this discussion in Virgin Galactic's thread, so I don't know if there's anything more that could be said.

I still maintain that it's quite irrelevant whether I'll fly to 80km, 90 km, 99 km or just above 100 km. For the sake of experience and enterntainment, it doesn't matter too much.

For the sake of recognition... well, we're not professional astronauts anyway

Online saliva_sweet

• Liked: 476
  • Likes Given: 1826
« Reply #44 on: 12/13/2017 12:01 pm »
Which would restrict bragging rights of their customers to the USA

Oh yeah. I'm gonna be so smug about how we in Europe don't bother with anything under 100 km, the real space. Americans should really learn a lesson or two.

Offline Darkseraph

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #45 on: 12/13/2017 12:04 pm »
Since these are just test flights and neither mannequins nor research payloads don't care about getting astronaut wings, they don't actually have to cross the Karman Line. The vehicles is certainly capable of doing so and has exceeded 100km in 5/7 flights. In future, many of the flights of the New Sheppard system might be unmanned suborbital research flights and it will not be too much of a concern for the research to exceed 100km.

Great to see New Sheppard back in action. Previous flights have had turn-around times as short as 6 weeks. I wonder how quickly this new improved system will be reflown.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." R.P.Feynman

Online Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
« Reply #46 on: 12/13/2017 12:06 pm »
Great to see New Sheppard back in action. Previous flights have had turn-around times as short as 6 weeks. I wonder how quickly this new improved system will be reflown.

Actually... I do wonder if they can conduct another flight before New Year :D :D :D

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 608
  • Likes Given: 309
« Reply #47 on: 12/13/2017 12:08 pm »

Good question, especially as I believe improved serviceability/turnaround was part of the upgrade. Though I suspect before New Year after a first flight might be optimistic ;)

--- Tony

Online Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
« Reply #48 on: 12/13/2017 12:14 pm »
I still hope for a powered flight of Virgin Galactic before New Year though... but it's their hiatus now which is strange... especially after promising to resume the test flight program this fall. I just hope it's not their engine again giving them trouble.

It would be nice to have each week activities by Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic. If (or when) that day comes, it will be a great day!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #49 on: 12/13/2017 12:50 pm »
Great work on here to find the additional details! Put an article together for it. What a great name for the test dummy! ;D

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/12/blue-origin-skywalker-test-new-shepard/
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81623
  • Likes Given: 36930
« Reply #50 on: 12/13/2017 01:38 pm »
This is the third New Shepard flight involving NanoRacks (I've obviously missed/forgotten about previous two!):

NanoRacks Integrates Largest New Shepard Payload Manifest to Date

Suborbital
December 13, 2017 //

Van Horn, Texas – December 8, 2017 – NanoRacks is pleased to have taken part in yet another successful Blue Origin New Shepard space vehicle mission. This morning marked New Shepard’s 7th flight, and the third flight in which NanoRacks has managed customer payload integration.

As a part of the NanoRacks teaming agreement with Blue Origin, the Company partakes in both business development and payload integration. Payload integration begins with customer service through the NanoRacks Mission Management team, and ends with final on-site integration with the customer at Blue Origin’s West Texas Launch Site (WTLS). Payloads range from small student NanoLabs flying in the NanoRacks Feather Frame to larger professional-grade payload lockers.

“It is exhilarating to be a part of the NanoRacks payload program, providing all types of researchers a unique microgravity opportunity,” says NanoRacks Payload Engineer Mariel Rico. Experiments that long for both a cost effective and quick turnaround for technology demonstration in a microgravity environment finally have a place to call their own. It is truly a privilege to work with both our friends at Blue Origin and our incredible team at NanoRacks, to make this opportunity possible.”

NanoRacks looks forward to growing the Company’s payload capacity on New Shepard, and is currently manufacturing a second Feather Frame for flight, doubling the total payload volume available for smaller educational customers.

“Educator interest in engaging their students with hands on space research has brought us to developing a second Feather Frame,” continues Rico. “This is just one more step in the growing in-space services that NanoRacks is able to offer, and of course, suborbital flights with Blue Origin offer the perfect testbed before committing to an International Space Station microgravity mission.”

To book a spot for your research on a Blue Origin flight, contact NanoRacks at [email protected].

http://nanoracks.com/nanoracks-integrates-largest-new-shepard-manifest/
« Last Edit: 12/13/2017 01:39 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Online Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
« Reply #51 on: 12/13/2017 01:50 pm »
I've been wondering if DLR flew experiments (previous publication: http://spacenews.com/dlr-to-fly-experiments-on-blue-origins-new-shepard/ ), as it was announced before.

Offline LaunchedIn68

• Deer Park, NY
  • Liked: 151
  • Likes Given: 448
« Reply #52 on: 12/13/2017 02:03 pm »
Just watched the YT video that BO emailed me.  "The largest windows on a spacecraft to date".  Yet they can't put a camera in the 2.0 capsule???  ??? >:(
"I want to build a spaceship, go to the moon, salvage all the junk that's up there, bring it back, sell it." - Harry Broderick

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 608
  • Likes Given: 309
« Reply #53 on: 12/13/2017 02:07 pm »
If you look at the photos up thread, there's clearly a camera there. They just haven't released the video (yet)

--- Tony

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
« Reply #54 on: 12/13/2017 02:18 pm »
*Breathless commentator*: "A beautiful lift-off... LIVE from West Texas..."

Ehh, "live"? - Who are they trying to fool?

Grow some b*lls Blue Origin...

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1193
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #55 on: 12/13/2017 02:20 pm »
Just watched the YT video that BO emailed me.  "The largest windows on a spacecraft to date".  Yet they can't put a camera in the 2.0 capsule???  ??? >:(

How do they compare to the ISS Cupola ?

Online Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
« Reply #56 on: 12/13/2017 02:26 pm »

Uh... you really made me check... especially knowing how I hate working with imperial units..

The largest Cupola window, the circular top window, is 80 cm in diameter.

Blue Origin windows are listed as 2.4 feet wide, 3.6 feet tall, which means - 73 cms wide, 110 cms tall.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #57 on: 12/13/2017 02:39 pm »

Maybe for PR purposes that's not a "spacecraft" ?? (it is in space, it has attitude control and thrusters, seems like a spacecraft to me but what do I know?)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

« Reply #58 on: 12/13/2017 02:42 pm »
Depends on how you calculate size.

73cm x 110cm = 8030cm^2

3.14 x 40cm x 40cm = 5024cm^2

Online Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
« Reply #59 on: 12/13/2017 02:45 pm »
Well, it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck - then it must be a duck :)

NS capsule maybe is in space, altitude control and thrusters, looks like a spacecraft.. but has no solar panels :) and, regretfully, it has also no toilet. Each manned spacecraft should have a toiled IMO (I'm deadly serious about that, as a person who frequently has problems on a bus ride).

A guy in our local Facebook group called NS "amusement park train" for the space tourist. Amusement trains won't take you to another station... but they're still called trains :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography